The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does time relate to the photon?  (Read 32114 times)

Offline CPT ArkAngel

• View Profile
How does time relate to the photon?
« Reply #75 on: 05/10/2010 20:42:32 »
You should be correct because you use an accelerating frame of reference for the one who is accelerating (and or decelerating). You won't be correct if you use only inertial frames of reference for both of them.
If both were in inertial frames at relative speed v ≠ 0, certainly we couldn't meet again to compare our time intervals, so it would be perfectly correct to say that the interval of time between two events is greater for me, in my frame, and that it's greater for him, in his frame.

Anyway, the twin paradox does not come from the fact that one is accelerating, in the sense that the *amount* of acceleration is not important; what counts is the fact that the situation is asymmetric, actually. You can see this asymmetry for example noting that in my frame I measure 4 light years as Earth-Proxima Centauri distance, while he measures less for lorentz contraction.

The way i see it is, relative speed alone will produce measurement distortion of spacetime but acceleration produce true distortion of it... Correct me if i am wrong.
Not even acceleration produces true distortion of spacetime. True distortion (that is, curvature) is only produced by energy/momentum (to be more precise, stress energy tensor).

What will happened to the energy momentum of an accelerating object? It will increase...

General relativity says that Gravity and acceleration are the same...

Offline Ron Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 05/10/2010 23:07:08 »
Light, no matter how you slice it movement is relative to the observer. The observer can never know whether he is moving or what he is observing is in motion.

Offline Ron Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 06/10/2010 01:52:31 »
BTW Ethos here is a pretty good demo of how time is related to a photon. It's located in new theories but JJ Thompson come up with it about hundred years ago. It was also in EM Purcell's text book on electricity and magnetism that was used for nearly ten years in the U.S.  http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=34333.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: 06/10/2010 02:05:05 by Ron Hughes »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 06/10/2010 12:58:16 »
What will happened to the energy momentum of an accelerating object? It will increase...

General relativity says that Gravity and acceleration are the same...
Not exactly, it's true only locally. But unfortunately I don't know much more of GR.

Offline Ron Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 07/10/2010 17:56:56 »
Do you mean that the inertial force I feel ten lights from Earth is different from what I would feel near Earth?

Offline kenhikage

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 08/10/2010 12:18:31 »
Given that photons don't experience time (which I agree with as tachyons should have negative mass  and travel backward through time) shouldn't they fill infinite space? Or am I misjudging that relationship?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 08/10/2010 12:29:09 »
Do you mean that the inertial force I feel ten lights from Earth is different from what I would feel near Earth?
No, I mean that *in a small region of spacetime* equivalence principle holds; globally it doesn't always hold, but unfortunately GR is very complex, I just know that because of someone more aknowledged than me.

Offline Ron Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 08/10/2010 17:24:28 »
Ken, from your question I must assume you consider my post on JJ Thompson's explanation on how a photon is created is wrong? As far as the tachyon, I dislike discussing particles that are hypothetical.
« Last Edit: 08/10/2010 17:26:46 by Ron Hughes »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #82 on: 08/10/2010 17:24:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums