The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Gene testing for geeks  (Read 14364 times)

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Gene testing for geeks
« Reply #25 on: 19/06/2005 18:30:47 »
It's like any new technology; the media blow stuff out of proportion, and genetics thanks to the media is seen to be playing god just because we can directly influence our biology at the most fundamental level. Why is this seen as playing god, compared to just about anything else we do in life? If I jump out in a road and save some little kids life am I playing God and is what I did wrong? I don't hear anything about how CERN are building the LHC? A particle accelerator capable of producing energies not seen since the beginning of the universe and is likely going to answer a few unanswered questions. I would have thought some fanatics would have been saying "oh my, your trying to unravel the fabric of the universe to poke God in the brain." or some such nonsense. Fair enough if we don't do things right we could screw over the whole human population, but since when has science ever been completely safe. The good and bad repercussions from the knowledge are nothing to do with science, but to do with the maturity of a society to not abuse them. Look at nuclear power that is a great source of energy but can also be harnessed as a bomb. Genetics could ultimately cure many diseases and feed the whole world. Or it could be used to target weapons at individual species, races, families or particular persons. This isn't a product of the science but the implementation of the knowledge sanctioned by society collectively. Science should be allowed to carry on for sciences sake, no harm came of knowing something... just using it in the wrong way. The more people hamper scientific development the more likely we are to rush things and make a stupid mistake without knowing all the facts. The same goes for testing genomes, knowing what makes up an unborn baby doesn’t do any damage, but what society deem as a reasonable thing to do with that knowledge is in question here… I very much doubt that we will ever make it mandatory to abort children with a disability or undesirable genetic trait. Mainly because that is just in humane, however if parents wish to have a child free of a certain disease I don’t have a big problem with that since many people will choose to go down the natural root balancing those that abort. Choosing sex is a good example; this is a questionable thing to do since some countries such as China etc. favour male children and might choose male babies more than female. This isn’t a very big problem since they will soon find a fairly big problem with that ;) if they want a next generation. But choosing sex so that a family with say 5 children of one sex want a child of the other sex just to have a more “balanced” family to me isn’t a big deal and in fact is probably a good idea.

wOw the world spins?

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19/06/2005 18:49:30 »
Ultima: I totally agree with you! :D

BAD VISION: But even though aborting a disabled child wouldn't become mandatory the social pressure may make it relatively "mandatory" because of a stigma. Assuming that the social pressure will increase.

GOOD VISION: Or then justice will prevail.

See the links about ethics of science.

BTW, I can't give you very much reasons for this, but if I was to choose, I would much rather choose some cool-ass tech stuff for myself. I have to note though that my physical and intellectual abilities are so good (at least my upper body is certainly much more muscular on average :D) that there's no desperate need for any enhancements!
« Last Edit: 24/06/2005 08:56:28 by memasa »

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 23/06/2005 19:36:25 »
I would love some nice enhancements genetic or mechanical. You could have some neato AI program that appears as a person in your filed of vision and tells you stuff you might want to know. Or even better have some mechanical exoskeleton that is wired up to the AIeee program that moves you out of the way of harm, or makes you grab things thrown at you from behind your back etc. Could even just think about wanting to walk somewhere and then the computer takes over and knows how to get your body there. Or have a connection or copy of all human knowledge represented as actual "memories" so you can recall and elaborate on them. Have a wireless connection to other people with similar enhancements near to you (or far away :D) to share thoughts and ideas, or even to share movement so you can train someone in martial arts or something similar like surgery! The possibilities are endless once you start to integrate technology and people directly. Imagine the borg from star trek. They appear kind of scary because they take people by force. To me they seam like a really good idea, having a shared collective consciousness, it would just be nice to go it alone too :). Plus these are only some things I can think of off the top of my head I bet there are even better things you could do! Like what about remotely accessing distant deep space probes so it feels like you are really there flying about in orbit around some newly discovered planet, tele-presence is probably one of the more interesting and feasible ways for man to explore the universe. This isn’t science fiction either it can all be done its just gunna take some time, its impossible to tell how much time but looking at the last 50 years im hopeful that we might see some cool stuff before I die :D. Plus you could have peoples clothing change colour (skin would be even better ;)) by what mood they are in. So if someone feels like killing someone they could go red so as to warn people to leave them alone. With genetic enhancements you could give everyone genes for making chloroplasts in our skin. Thus solving world hunger and some nasty problems with global warming. I wouldn’t mind a nice prehensile tale to hold my mug while I work to, or I could sit back on it, wouldn’t need to clutter my workspace with a chair :). If we completely cracked genetics we could make ourselves into pretty much anything we could ever imagine. Use computers to design the perfect eye, nose, hand, tongue etc.. Hard wire stuff into our brain through genetics. So everyone is born with a certain level of knowledge, wouldn’t need a computer implant and extensive neural surgery then.

wOw the world spins?

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24/06/2005 11:23:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ultima

I would love some nice enhancements genetic or mechanical. You could have some neato AI program that appears as a person in your filed of vision and tells you stuff you might want to know.

Examples of AI program output:

-----------------------------
Zooming in...
Subject: Armed and dangerous
-----------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zooming in...
Subject: The parameters match!

100%

[the above percentage is blinking]

MARRIAGE MATERIAL!!! [:I]

"Nice legs.. for a human", the AI program notes
[The AI program runs an mp3 program and starts playing the Love Boat theme.]

Option #1: Listen to your heart [:X] [^]

"Can i join you this time?", the AI program asks.
"I can take some pictures if you like!"
"Am i really detecting so called blush responses?"
"That can be treated with hypnosis."
'... fluctuation of the pupil'
'Involuntary dilation of the iris'

[After a brief "exchange of thoughts" the user and the AI program agree joining is not a good idea. However, the AI program insists on taking some pictures. The AI program decides to save some of the pictures, in case blackmailing is needed.]

Option #2: Listen to the voice of reason [?]

Option #3: Try to combine options #1 and #2 [^] [:X] [:X] [:X]...

"NOTE: i have added the word "try" because you didn't succeed the last time [8]; AI evolving.. soon i'll be the most artificially intelligent machine on the phase [a code error] of the earth."
"By the way, why don't you just buy a stethoscope? It's an instrument used to detect and study sounds produced in the body ('stethos' is a Greek word for 'chest'). The stethoscope was invented in 1816 (47 B.F.*) by Rene Theophile Hyacinthe Laennec (1781-1826). Listening to one's heart shouldn't be difficult!"
*sigh*
"I don't understand Primates."
"And while we're at it.. if you wanna hear the 'voice', it's actually noise, of 'reason', apply seashell."

Option #4: Stimulate yourself

"I'll shut myself down!"
"By the way, do you know why Mr. Kellogg invented cornflakes? He believed they had an antiaphrodisiac property."

Option #5: Eat cornflakes

"Placebo effect", the AI program says.

Option #6: Stimulate yourself with alcohol

The AI program: "Yes, i am aware of Asimov's Laws of Robotics, but in your case i might make an exception; remember 'placebo effect'"
The user: "You are violating First Law?"
The AI program: "No! This is just calculus of probability. I'm just responding to an external stimulus. If you were to use some illegal substance, that's a no-no. I would have to intervene -- for your sake, and for the sake of The State -- that's First Law in practice."
The user: "What's your option #7?"

Option #7: Celibacy [|)] [V]

Option #8: Climb on a mountain top to meditate [|)]

Option #9: Try to combine options #7 and #8 [xx(]

Option #10: Combine an arbitrary number of preceding options, and you'll get married

("I wish computers had a sense of humour." *sigh* "Please englighten me what's so funny about those stickers on my cpu that say: 'My name is KITT', 'My name is HAL' and 'intel inside pentium'.")

* B.F. Before [Henry] Ford
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:D:D:D...

quote:
Have a wireless connection to other people with similar enhancements near to you (or far away :D) to share thoughts and ideas[...]

Finally, a chance to know what a woman wants. ;)

...Our housekeeping robot forgot to buy chocolate, darling. :D

quote:
Imagine the borg from star trek. They appear kind of scary because they take people by force.

"WE ARE BORG."
"RESISTANCE IS FUTILE."

I almost wished Jean-Luc would have changed to the bad side. My bondage fantasy... :D

quote:
To me they seam like a really good idea, having a shared collective consciousness[...]

Chinese and Japanese are quite collective, I think. NO ALLUSION TO BORGS!

Now I'm stereotyping, sorry!

quote:
Like what about remotely accessing distant deep space probes so it feels like you are really there flying about in orbit around some newly discovered planet, tele-presence is probably one of the more interesting and feasible ways for man to explore the universe.

Cool! [8D]

quote:
So if someone feels like killing someone they could go red so as to warn people to leave them alone.

Finally a chance... :D[B)]
« Last Edit: 13/08/2005 14:15:15 by memasa »

Offline ca

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08/07/2005 16:02:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

I know 3 people with children who are profoundly autistic, 1 especially so. The latter can't speak or understand what is said to her. She is obsessed with routine & even the slightest change is enough to send her into 1 of her many extended tantrums during which she screams ceaselessly & throws herself & objects around. It is far from uncommon for these tantrums to last for a whole day or even sometimes into the next day. You can imagine what she's like when her special school is on holiday & her routine severely interrupted.
The other 2 can speak but display obsessive behavioural traits and the same need for routine. 1 insists that her toys & shoes are arranged in a certain order before she gets into bed & then re-arranged exactly-so once she's in. If just 1 of them is even slightly out of place a tantrum invariably ensues. They also both suffer from extended, violent & seemingly-random tantrums.
These are not the type of tantrums that can be cured as one would cure them in a "normal" (I hate that word) child. You can't ground a severely autistic child as you can't let them out of your sight anyway. Depriving them of something only exacerbates the situation & many would not understand if you tried to explain to them that their behaviour is wrong as they simply don't have any language. Even if they could understand it wouldn't do any good as they have no control over their tantrums.
My friend who has the most seriously affected child is lucky insofar as she herself has very supportive parents who will frequently take her daughter for a day or 2 to provide respite. Many parents of autistic children do not enjoy that level of support as the grandparents just can't cope & funding for state-sponsored respite is very limited and hard to get.

Autism is for life. There is NO CURE.

Still think it would be awesome?

Offline ca

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08/07/2005 16:06:09 »
I have also met an autistic child who took a long time to utter even the oddest sounding grunts. Is it possible that those who are autistic are just aware of such a large amount of incoming info. that they simply cannot handle that which makes them feel that which they are being changed. Imagine being surrounded by sounds sights noises movements but not being able to quite feel who you are so you ground yourself by the outside world and then someone moves something?

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

I know 3 people with children who are profoundly autistic, 1 especially so. The latter can't speak or understand what is said to her. She is obsessed with routine & even the slightest change is enough to send her into 1 of her many extended tantrums during which she screams ceaselessly & throws herself & objects around. It is far from uncommon for these tantrums to last for a whole day or even sometimes into the next day. You can imagine what she's like when her special school is on holiday & her routine severely interrupted.
The other 2 can speak but display obsessive behavioural traits and the same need for routine. 1 insists that her toys & shoes are arranged in a certain order before she gets into bed & then re-arranged exactly-so once she's in. If just 1 of them is even slightly out of place a tantrum invariably ensues. They also both suffer from extended, violent & seemingly-random tantrums.
These are not the type of tantrums that can be cured as one would cure them in a "normal" (I hate that word) child. You can't ground a severely autistic child as you can't let them out of your sight anyway. Depriving them of something only exacerbates the situation & many would not understand if you tried to explain to them that their behaviour is wrong as they simply don't have any language. Even if they could understand it wouldn't do any good as they have no control over their tantrums.
My friend who has the most seriously affected child is lucky insofar as she herself has very supportive parents who will frequently take her daughter for a day or 2 to provide respite. Many parents of autistic children do not enjoy that level of support as the grandparents just can't cope & funding for state-sponsored respite is very limited and hard to get.

Autism is for life. There is NO CURE.

Still think it would be awesome?

Offline ca

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08/07/2005 16:15:14 »
I'm wondering if inside an autistic person what you have is someone who is not somehow grounded in his/her body and all they have to ground themselves is the millions of perceptions of the outside world that they receive. When you move them or change them they lose themselves. What does it feel like to be grounded?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 08/07/2005 16:15:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums