The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: whats the different between covalent and ionic bonds?  (Read 7464 times)

Offline benep

• View Profile
Chemistry is my weakest science area and i would like to know what is the difference between covalent bonds and ionic bonds in a molecular structure?
« Last Edit: 06/04/2009 21:55:42 by benep »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
whats the different between covalent and ionic bonds?
« Reply #1 on: 06/04/2009 22:32:20 »
Chemistry is my weakest science area and i would like to know what is the difference between covalent bonds and ionic bonds in a molecular structure?
At a first level, the difference is that in a ionic bond the particles are bound by the electrostatic force between opposite ions, for example Na+ and Cl-; these two species are separated and the positive charge attracts the negative one. In a covalent bond, instead, even if there is (in general, but can non exist) a charge separation between the two species, the two species forms a single one because electrons orbits around both nuclei; in HCl for example,  around the H atom you have positive charge (less than 1 unit) and around the Cl atom negative charge (less than 1 unit) so you have two charges spatially separated, but they form an only entity: the HCl molecule, because electrons orbit around the H and around the Cl simultaneously. In a ionic compound as NaCl, instead, molecules don't exist, only single ions, infact in a macroscopic piece of salt you have 1 only kind of bond: the ionic bond; in a macroscopic amount of a molecular compound, instead, you have (at least) two kinds of bonds: the covalent bond between the atoms inside a single molecule and other kinds of bonds (ex: Van der Waals forces, dipole-dipole interaction, ion-dipole interaction) among the molecules.
« Last Edit: 06/04/2009 22:38:16 by lightarrow »

Offline Dr.IC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/04/2009 06:52:07 »
Ionic bond: An ionic bond is a type of chemical bond that involves a metal and a non-metal ion through electrostatic attraction. In short, it is a bond formed by the attraction between two oppositely charged ions.The metal donates one or more electrons, forming a positively charged ion or cation with a stable electron configuration. These electrons then enter the non metal, causing it to form a negatively charged ion or anion which also has a stable electron configuration. The electrostatic attraction between the oppositely charged ions causes them to come together and form a bond.

Covalent Bond: A covalent bond is a form of chemical bonding that is characterized by the sharing of pairs of electrons between atoms, or between atoms and other covalent bonds. In short, attraction-to-repulsion stability that forms between atoms when they share electrons is known as covalent bonding.

Offline benep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/04/2009 14:44:20 »
ah i see, thank you very much, that was very helpful, thanks  [^]

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
« Reply #4 on: 09/04/2009 09:33:51 »
Thanks nice information?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/04/2009 14:26:22 »
Thanks nice information?
No question mark!

Offline Raghavendra

• Quantum
    • View Profile
    • Raghavendra
« Reply #6 on: 10/04/2009 08:29:11 »
ya dude.. thanks

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 10/04/2009 08:29:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums