The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Derren Brown's Mind Manipulation show  (Read 13515 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Derren Brown's Mind Manipulation show
« Reply #25 on: 11/01/2006 17:47:16 »
Thanks Simon,

I do enjoy it purely (as you have mentioned) from an entertainment perpective..but am also enthralled and astonished at the perception of Derren Browns (supposed) abilities which I am sure, is the desired effect.I suppose there are just as many failures as there are success too and we only get to see what they put on the television.

Having said all that..he does possess an extraordinary ability to astonish and he just does it so very very convincingly. I mean, how on Earth can you tell someone their date of birth, their hobbies, what they had for lunch, where they went on holiday, how much change they have in their pockets, what they are thinking... just by looking at them...?..I am sure there is a rational explanation because despite his awe and wonder..he obviously has no supernatural powers !...amazing that it is. I think he's great !

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline sjdavison

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12/01/2006 09:24:31 »
He is a very good performer, and mentalist. I am sure there are not too many failures - it would not look good for him, if people he had 'failed' on came to the press exclaiming that fact! Everything is carefully planned, and more reliable than you would think.

What you are referring to in your second paragraph is 'mentalism' - a genre of magic that gives the illusion of reading minds. All the things you mentioned I have done. Email me for more, and I will give you some books to start the journey into magic if you wish. sjdavison@hotmail.com - however, it takes practice and dedication!

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12/01/2006 17:14:30 »
Thanks Simon

Having read your posts, it is certainly highly possible and even more highly motivated to influence a courtroom in favour of your preferred direction, and I suspect is part and parcel of the methodology of a good barrister and Brief.

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

SPDSupport

« Reply #28 on: 13/01/2006 11:09:17 »
Derren Brown is just gorgeous and gifted in what he does! He wouldnt need to hypnotise or use neuro linguistic programming on me to get me to do anything for him...lolol[:X][:I]:D

The heist one was good wasnt it. Did you see the Russian Roulette one he did too?

Heres my answer to how he does it... What do you want to do when someone tells you you cant cough and shows you loads of pictures of boxes of hankies, lockets, and snow scenes?..lol Still good though[8D]
Babs

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #29 on: 13/01/2006 14:25:39 »
yeah i saw the roulette one the only problem with that one was that it was obvious he had chosen a completely transparant spoon for a loader mind you if it was life or death i would have to

"Defender of the Sea"

SPDSupport

« Reply #30 on: 13/01/2006 14:40:46 »
quote:
he had chosen a completely transparant spoon for a loader
LOL :D

« Last Edit: 13/01/2006 14:45:11 by SPDSupport »

Offline sjdavison

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13/01/2006 17:24:58 »
Babs, good looks certainly helps in mentalism, and performance generally! (but biased as I'm a handsome 24 year old performer, but have avoided the goatee!)

But it is all in the PRESENTATION, and Derren is excellent at what he does. (That said, there is nothing new in the Russian roulette stunt, but it is an entertaining presmise.)

I am glad that everyone is enthralled and astonished by Derren - it is what magic is for, after all.
« Last Edit: 13/01/2006 17:25:38 by sjdavison »

Offline AlphBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13/01/2006 23:27:00 »
This "mind control" Thing, (never even heard of Mr Brown) is it, or does it, not say more about the audience, being open to assumptive judgement, because someone can elicit their trust, and hence their belief/s, just by projecting onto them?
The linguistics would also help, nothing like a good vocab.
I once heard a man who was before the court, anyway he gave a reasonable account that day, and on speaking to him after, he said " I was playing to the Judge not the court, it is him that has the power, over me"

In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.
Mark Twain

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #32 on: 13/01/2006 23:27:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums