« on: 05/06/2005 00:49:07 »
What is the worlds biggest snake

Offline memasa

• View Profile
Re: snakes
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/2005 13:14:19 »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2005 13:46:54 »
If I remember correctly the largest snake ever caught was a python in Indonesia which measured about 33ft (10 metres). It was kept secret for quite some time as they didn't want pressure from the large Western institutions to release it to them.
On average, thought, the largest is the South American anaconda. Although not as long as the reticulated python it is far heavier with a much greater girth. Some have been recorded with a girth in excess of 36 inches (almost 100cm). The anaconda is also far more aggressive.
On the subject of constrictors, I would like to lay a myth to rest. Constrictors do not crush their prey: they kill by stopping the prey from breathing. As the prey exhales the constrictor tightens its grip thus preventing the prey from inhaling.
It is also not true that constrictors don't bite. They have very impressive fangs which they use to get a grip on their prey.
(I think I'm warped - my 3 favourite wild creatures are snakes, crocs & sharks!)

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/06/2005 16:26:21 »
Yes, DrB, we agree on this. The BIGGEST snake is the anaconda. They eat adult alligators for breakfast. I'd like to see a python try that. The longest snakes are from the python family.
« Last Edit: 05/06/2005 16:26:43 by gsmollin »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/06/2005 17:24:37 »
GS - far be it from me to venture to correct someone as erudite as yourself, but I think you'll find it's caymans that they eat (OK, they're a type of alligator but I just wanted to be pedantic) :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 05/06/2005 17:24:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length