The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does marijuana affect the body?  (Read 16419 times)

Offline shug

• View Profile
    • http://www.lca-uk.org
Re: How does marijuana affect the body?
« Reply #25 on: 28/10/2003 19:46:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by chris

I strongly support the use of drugs where they can serve a helpful medicinal purpose.

Are you assuming that people who oppose a bad law are in favour of increased use? There are many many people who can see that the law is ineffective, if not counter-productive, even though they do not use, or approve of use.

quote:

There are similar benefits to the application of the active agent in marijuana - THC.

THC is only one active ingredient. Trials with THC only show that is is frequently less effective than whole cannabis. Synthetic THC is available in the UK and the US already so we know what hte patients think.

quote:

Indeed trials are underway to look at the potential benefits of using a cannabis-like agent to boost the appetites of dementia sufferers who are notoriously bad eaters.

There are several other trials underway - ms, pain relief, spinal injuries....

quote:

But in the same way that we don't trust the public to self-administer opioids (like heroin) sensibly, why should we suddenly expect them to be able to cope with cannabis ?

Millions of people already do. Why make them criminals?

quote:

Any drug is a potentially dangerous drug.

If health was the determining factor then aspirin and peanuts would be made illegal - they are responsible for more deaths annually than cannabis ever has been.

quote:

People smoke it, which is immediately bad for your health and may encourage people to become tobacco dependent, it has lifelong consequences for your nervous system - some susceptible individuals develop schizophrenia - it has a profound demotivating effect and is also a gateway drug.

3 myths.

The science is out there - if you think you are correct please provide peer-reviewed cites for your claims.

Hugh Robertson
Legalise Cannabis Alliance
PO Box 198
Norwich NR3 3WB

Offline Decay58

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How does marijuana affect the body?
« Reply #26 on: 30/08/2009 02:29:47 »
   Hello Everyone:
   What I am about to say is not scientific information. I always hear things like "There is no long-term information", etc. Well, I consider myself to be a long-term study.
   I have been smoking marijuana steadily since 1967. That's almost 3/4 of my life.
   I smoked tobacco for 32 years. I stopped in 1992.
   I abused alcohol for 30 years. I stopped in 1996.
   I have tried LSD, cocaine, opium, speed, and mescalin,all repeatedly and nicotine has been my only physical addiction. Let's not leave out caffeine.
   Yes, I have had problems with short-term memory, but age is as much to blame as THC, and it is easily remedied.
The mind is similar to a muscle in the respect that it responds favorably to exercise. Chess, crossword puzzles, learning,(a new language, how to play an instrument, a new exercise regime, etc.) Lumosity, read and study whatever interests you.
   Part of the problem is stereotyping. Not all marijuana users are like Spicoli in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High"
   Another big part of the problem is that hydroponic marijuana contains 8 to 10 times as much THC as pot that is
grown in soil and users in general have not made the transition. I feel that is part of the reason that today's music is not as good as the music from the 60's and 70's. That's not just my opinion. Most TV commercials use classic rock and roll.
   THC is not to blame for your current attitude. If anything it would be the fact that you are denying yourself
the soothing effects of THC. THC is not physically addictive. It is however quite mentally addictive, just like gambling or religion.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
How does marijuana affect the body?
« Reply #27 on: 30/08/2009 11:21:36 »
I'm not sure I'd agree that psychosis is an entirely soothing state to be in, to be honest.

Offline wanhafizi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30/08/2009 19:54:32 »
Sometimes, its seems crazy that...

...most of us doesn't really know the real facts, or they are blinded by propaganda...

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #29 on: 31/08/2009 12:33:31 »
People smoke it, which is immediately bad for your health and may encourage people to become tobacco dependent

There's cake, pancakes, Chocolate, ...
In fact, everything made with molten butter can be turned in a 'space recipe'.

Some pro's for THC that I know of without searching for others:
THC speeds up metabolism, which is great news for people on a diet, if they can withstand the munchies.
THC does not induce physical drawback symptoms when quitting (nicotine does, so don't think you can't get physically addicted to joints)
THC is a painkiller (widely known by now) and especially to eye-related pain.

Some con's for THC that I know of without searching for others:
THC has effects on the brain physiology (the fingers from the posts above are axons and dendrites) in a way that the developing brain of a young smoker (less than 21 years old) will have very similar defects like patients suffering from schizophrenia, explaining some symptoms like paranoia. THC effects on a fully developed brain (older than 21) are very minimal.

Conclusion: It's OK to smoke weed, as long as you wait 'til your 21.. ;)

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09/09/2009 18:47:43 »
I have worked in the field of substance abuse recovery.  Let me make a suggestion to Quantumcat ... Get at what's behind your friend's addiction, because the addiction is only a symptom and there's always something behind it.  Once you understand that, you can help him all the better with his substance problem.  Yeah, I mean for you to psychoanalyze him.

there's a difference between your experience of addiction and the usage of marijuana. your view of drugs may be skewered because you have been exposed to relatively worse cases. unfortunately i think most of the health-drug information we receive is.. hmm. well. imbalanced. the world's governments have an interest in keeping down the usage of drugs i think, and they do this to the extreme & emphasise the bad side of drugs while ignoring the good. everything is potentially dangerous to you - it's the quantity that really matters..

besides, isn't this conversation to help out the OP kind of pointless? it was 6 years ago..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 09/09/2009 18:47:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums