The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes static shocks?  (Read 2902 times)

daniel buchanan

What causes static shocks?
« on: 16/04/2009 10:30:02 »
daniel buchanan  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi guys.

My Question is:   What is static shock? How is it caused and how can we prevent it?

Dan, London

What do you think?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2009 10:35:14 »
Static electricity happens when you have two materials in contact with each other, some of the charges redistribute by moving from one material to the other. This leaves an excess of positive charge on one material, and an equal negative charge on the other. When the materials move apart, each takes it's charge with it. One material becomes charged positively, and the other negatively (you) So when you touch a metal door handle or something, the door knob acts as a conductor and since you have extra electrons: ZAP!!! [:0]  The electrons jump from you to the knob, and you feel the static shock!!

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=19914.0

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2009 10:39:42 »
Did I say something wrong?

-----
No wait, forget that. I geddit.  :)
« Last Edit: 16/04/2009 10:41:34 by Chemistry4me »

Offline Dr.IC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/04/2009 11:02:06 »
Static shock are from stored charges. what C4M said was right, it is due to rubbing or charges redistribute by moving from one material to the other. Even humans get charged, especially when you wear nylon or woolen cloths ( due to friction of cloth and body charges will be stored) when you touch a metal the stored charges are discharged(conductive path is formed) (all stored charges are discharged at a time), that the reason u feel the shock, in electronic terms it is called Zapping.   
« Last Edit: 21/04/2009 08:40:34 by Dr.IC »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 17/04/2009 11:02:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums