The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: gun powder  (Read 38188 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: gun powder
« Reply #50 on: 01/10/2005 19:44:37 »
hello and welcome, try the link below

http://www.members.lycos.nl/pyrocorp/pyrocorp_online/anar666.htm

It seems very interesting i may have to give it a read myself:)

ps.
How about that for service 8 minutes from question to reply. Thankfully not everything in my life happens or comes so quick

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 01/10/2005 20:55:56 by ukmicky »

Offline pyromaster222

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 15/10/2005 14:58:11 »
gunpowder:
gunpowder has the following composition.
75KNO3 15C 10S
gunpowder is made by first milling the materials together in a ball mill. Once milled for at least 6 hours the powder in the mill is now called meal powder (not yet gunpowder) to make the meal powder into gunpowder a mixture of water and spirits is applied.the meal is then pressed in a press and a desired density of 1.7gcc-1 should be reached. the gunpowder block is then smashed into grains. This is now gunpowder (or black powder as it should be called due to the fact that it has been replaced as a gun propellant by nitrocellulose). there are many factors that affect the performance of gunpowder. The type of charcoal its made from is the main factor. gunpowder made from beech would burn very slowly indeed, while gunpowder made from willow charcoal would burn extremely fast (the brun speed could vary by as much as 0.9ms-1)
the different types of gunpowder are used in different applications.
for example meal powder is used in stars, fountains and rockets. while gunpowder is used to lift shells,for break charges and for salutes.
gunpowder is a low explosive. This is because it deflagrates subsonicly (slower than the speed of sound) the burning of gunpowder is caused by the flamefront travelling throught through the grain.
in a high explosive the substance is detonated. This is when a substance burns supersonicly.
the detonation is caused by the shockwave from the supersonic flamefront. unlike in low explosives the decomposition/burining is continiued by the shockwave. thus high explosives tend to be more powerfull than low explosives

if you are looking for something to do practical jokes with then gunpowder is not the best as it requires a lot of apparatus and a long time to make.Although it is one of the, if not THE cheapest low explosive.

if you are looking for some practical jokes (by that i assume you mean firecrackers etc?) then you should make smoke bombs (potassium nitrate and icing sugar) or you can make flash powder (something like KClO4/Al)

Steve Vai there are a lot of other ways to make electric matches (these are not detonators as you said, detonators are primary explosives used to intiate or detonate an explosive that is not sensitive enough to be initiated by a low explosive/fuse).
you can use nichrome wire instead of a filament from a bulb. its also a lot cheaper and easier to get. As for the potassium nitrate, this place sells it for 10 for 2kgs, although i dont know why you need it.
www.gardendirect.co.uk [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 16/10/2005 20:56:26 by pyromaster222 »

Offline pyromaster222

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 16/10/2005 21:04:48 »
quote:

CAUTION - as I said, it does have a habit of exploding spontaneously when dry, the best bet is to make and use it in situ and confine yourself to a few milligrams :)

i dont know what kind of powerful sunstance you was on when you wrote that but i dont think you should use it again. a few milligrams is (considering "few" means no more than 5) <5x10-3grams you wouldnt even have scales accurate enough to weigh it out and even when you lit it it wouldnt even have enough mass to self confine.

Offline robotjesusbeta

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 23/11/2005 19:09:00 »
pyro im surprised you havent already gotten on to this but meh, before ive seen the 'jolly rodger cookbook' mentioned *rolls eyes* oooook lets start here > there is no point in making somthing you have not searched in triplicate atleast, looking at 3 synthesis/ methods of production and comparing you will soon see the dangerous one, that is if you havent looked at the same crap 3 times.. that just makes you stupid. e.g comparing the : anarchist hand book *shakes head at the tragic missuse of  the good anarchist name* the terrorist hand book and the jolly rodger cook book. All 3 are variations on the last with added crap and buzz words like LoLZ H4X etc generally bull**** for 14 year olds who couldnt find their asses with both hands. Somthing i have recently been thinking about is the difference in concentrations of chemicals in differnt charcoals, this would effect the overall ratios of the black powder this could be a possible reason for why people say willow charcoal is best. Generally BP is not Very friction sensative, comerical versions are dusted with graphite this offers some opertunitys for making bridgeless igiters as graphite conducts electrcity as it heats it will ignite the BP Graphite doesnt seem to burn it just gets red hot i havent tested it in some thermite.. yet but  it looks to excede 1000 degrees before anything happens to it and so it is possibly re-usable. (off on a tangent once again)

Is that the mouthwash in your eyes?

Offline Crazy117

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 29/11/2005 02:00:48 »
I don't mean to rant here but,
Some kinda crazy cracke wuz da head of the clique mob grill back in da day. I tell ya, these sobs were serious about dey cheese and of coure there clique mob grills.
Oh mans was my pa mad when he seens me with that lamp in that one room. Sometimes i used to sits in dat room with the lamp eating cheese for days. If you love freedom- you love cheese and lamps.
Beta is the best kind of testing. But da cheese don't like the beta. I don't appreciate people being all "I don't like the way you handled your cheese back there. I kinda disagree wit dem but i thought alot about it.
What do YOU think?!

Offline pyromaster222

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 01/12/2005 18:57:05 »
why would i mention the anarchist cookbook?. Like you said its for muppets who want to get cheap thrills. the reason willow charcol is the best is something to do with the amount of impurities it has (hydrocarbons). it has the most and so makes the bp burn the fastest. pure carbon is crap for bp because its the hydrocarbon impurities that make the bp burn fast.

Offline robotjesusbeta

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 05/12/2005 19:57:14 »
The reason I would have asumed you would have said about the Anarchist cookbook is because you apear to take your pyro seriously and such handbooks give a bad rap to it, when noobs like crazy117 burns his face off grinding armstrongs mix in a pestle and mortar etc you get the Gist of what I meant *the handbook was mentioned earier in the thread take a look dont just go to the last post*

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #57 on: 10/12/2005 14:58:25 »
i think it was me that first mentioned the jolly rogers cookbook and ive had great sucess using it some chemistry books and common sense so there

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
The philosopher Q man

Offline robotjesusbeta

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 11/12/2005 10:36:15 »
sucess using it AND CHEMISTRY BOOKS, we are talking simply about the book not cross referencing not researching not comparison, im talking about the kid who finds it and suddenly thinks KEWL i am clearly not talking about sumone who has common sense for example cramming match heads into a tennis ball i suuuuure that will be in many a chemistry book, also when you start to fill the ball there is certainly going to be friction as you cram the last in and probibly cause premature ignition. I simply cant see how anyone could claim 'Great Sucess' in using the jolly rodger cookbook, or even any form of sucess due to 1) the sheer inacuracy, 2) the many versions that have been altered  3) the out of date Phreaking manuals that wouldnt work on space invaders, how you claim great sucess is laughable

Offline Steve Vai

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 20/01/2006 23:44:58 »
ah, thanks for the correction pyromaster, i assumed they meant things like what i described.

they put all of this fire retardant stuff in weedkillers nowadays, which kinda takes the fun out of it but i guess is necessary, but i was wondering, how readily do chlorate ions decompose? i mean if i dissolved sodium chlorate in water and filtered out fire retardant stuff (assuming it will be insoluble) then will i end up with saltwater and oxygen when i try to evapourate off the water?

btw, a friend of mine tried the match heads thing into a tennis ball, i wouldnt reccomend it, its relatively unpredictable as to when it will go off if you bounce it, and its not that spectacular anyway

and does anyone know where its possible to get hold of iodine in the UK?

"Turkeys killed my family" - Chip, 02/09/2005, 12:49

Offline Life

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 28/01/2006 21:20:41 »
As someone mentioned the site earlier...

newbielink:http://www.kno3.com/product.asp?itemid=16&catid=34 [nonactive]

but i doubt you'd want to spend that much - nor do i.
Please let us know if anyone finds it cheaper/smaller batches..

Thanx

Offline cmdr_keen

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 15/02/2006 04:55:43 »
hey,
i was wondering whether u know how to produce an ammonium phosphate or ammonium nitrate(ANFOS) explosive,8)
greatly appreciated
cmdr_keen[8]

Offline Fez_uk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 18/02/2006 11:31:33 »
Dont buy from kno3.com, They are con people...

A couple of good sites are - newbielink:http://www.inoxia.co.uk/ [nonactive] and newbielink:http://www.thegreenman.me.uk/ [nonactive]

Offline LionHearT_az

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 08/04/2006 13:30:23 »
I know some...(TNT...)

Offline LionHearT_az

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 08/04/2006 13:33:41 »
TNT(tree nitro toluol)...: phenol with nitric acid: 1 to 3

Offline LionHearT_az

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 08/04/2006 13:35:01 »
also TNG: tree nitro gliceryn: gliceryn with nitric acid also 1 to 3

Offline tanian

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 13/05/2006 15:54:53 »
I did a degree in writing for performance, and I had to study basic English while at uni. I managed to pass my GCSE's and A levels and only when at uni did i need to learn what a verb, adverb, adjective and pronoun etc. actualy were. Really.

I may be an exceptional case, everyone who has ever taught me with regards to English has always labelled me 'gifted' and it has to be aknowledged that I see things differently to everyone else with regards to language. I just do, and it is this unusual approach that managed to get me so far. I still feel cheated that I wasn't given the tools for my future trade when I spent so much time devouring the stuff in my formal compulsory education.

For an example, we studied Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre and Harper Lee's To KIll a Mockingbird for GCSE English Literature, and due to its girly nature I outright refused to read Jane Eyre (There were only two lads in the class of 32, and our female teacher had put it to the vote. We were duly outvoted).

Typically it was the one that came up on the exam. No problem, George Orwell's Animal Farm was the subject of the question on the next page, I had read this aged 12 and I got myself a B by answering the questions from memory.

This reflects badly on the whole educational establishment, if we are to be honest.

At school they gave me a test and rated me an IQ of 155. They put me in the 4th percentile for English language skills.

I was in the bottom set for Mathematics because, quite simply, the teacher and I just hated one another. He taught me for 4 years too, in a secondary school of with 8 forms per year averaging 36 students per form. What are the chances? I had my own desk in the corridor outside the classroom, the Headnaster used to visit me once a week at my desk and I essentially taught myself maths from school textbooks.

I got a C in my Maths GCSE.

The point made much earlier is ridiculously apt:

'There is enormous investment in people who are underachievers for one reason or another, but no / little parallel investment in those who are also 'special needs' for the opposite reason - they are intelligent.'

Chris, I couldn't agree more.

I was a pretty bad kid at school. But then I had little choice, I just couldn't deal with the constant boredom.

At 22 years of age I had to learn what an adjective was.

I think we should start a politics thread. I really do believe it is a science, and I've seen it creeping across over 50% of the posts I've read so far...

I think I'll suggest it.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies- Groucho Marx.

Offline tanian

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 13/05/2006 17:41:14 »
Aah, now, I'm new to the forum and still adjusting to the 'more than one page' situation.

I guess you could consider the post re-hijacked,

I'd apologise, but I'm really not sorry :)

We need a politics post, eh.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #67 on: 13/05/2006 17:41:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums