The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Spoon to slow down the layers?  (Read 4023 times)

Offline walters

• First timers
    • View Profile
Spoon to slow down the layers?
« on: 15/06/2005 00:00:17 »

To stack Liquids on top of each other what is this called in chemistry?

I put a liquid in a cup jar and to stack another liquid form on top of it i have to use a spoon to slow down the liquid to make it stack on top of the first liquid in the cup.
 What is this called in chemistry?

Why does the spoon slow down the liquid?
 What does the spoon do really? does it displace the liquid?
 Why does it slow it down?

I seen a Chemistry Funnel with a value what is the name of this chemisty funnel they use for chemistry to mix or break up the density?

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: Spoon to slow down the layers?
« Reply #1 on: 15/06/2005 15:54:01 »
If I am interpreting you correctly you are doing something like pouring oil onto water to produce a two layers, and you run the liquid down a spoon to make it work well.

If the top liquid hits the bottom one two fast they will mix - even if you are using oil and water the oil will form blobs in the water or vice versa - this will take ages to seperate out, and if you are using differnt types of alcohol which want to mix, they may never seperate out.

Running the liquid down the spoon does two things - firstly there is friction between the spoon and the liquid so the liquid moves less fast so it is less likely to break up when it hits the other one. Secondly it will stop the liquid starting to break up into droplets even before it has hit the liquid in the jar - (if you look at water running out of a tap it starts of smooth and the further it gets away from the tap surface tension tries to break it up into droplets).

I think the funnel you are thinking of is called a seperating funnel - I don't know what this process is called sorry.

Offline walters

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/06/2005 23:07:36 »
Thanks for the help alot with this

What is the spoon functioning as?

The spoon= slowing down the liquid how does it slow it down?

It "builds" layers on top and not mixing the liquids together it builds them

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2005 19:58:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts

If I am interpreting you correctly you are doing something like pouring oil onto water to produce a two layers, and you run the liquid down a spoon to make it work well.

If the top liquid hits the bottom one two fast they will mix - even if you are using oil and water the oil will form blobs in the water or vice versa - this will take ages to seperate out, and if you are using differnt types of alcohol which want to mix, they may never seperate out.

Running the liquid down the spoon does two things - firstly there is friction between the spoon and the liquid so the liquid moves less fast so it is less likely to break up when it hits the other one. Secondly it will stop the liquid starting to break up into droplets even before it has hit the liquid in the jar - (if you look at water running out of a tap it starts of smooth and the further it gets away from the tap surface tension tries to break it up into droplets).

I think the funnel you are thinking of is called a seperating funnel - I don't know what this process is called sorry.

This is clearly how you can get cream to float on coffee eh ?..well, except me...I'm crap at doing that [:(!]

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: 11/07/2005 00:50:32 »
The spoon is funtioning as two things,

it slows down the liquid by viscous rag

it also stops the liquid forming droplets as it drops, so you get one volume of liquid not lots of drops

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 11/07/2005 00:50:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length