The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Human Retroviruses: Spumavirinae  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Human Retroviruses: Spumavirinae
« on: 16/06/2005 20:16:59 »
I was just looking online about retroviruses. I noticed that Spumavirinae genus is supposed to have no pathological effect i.e. they donít cause any damage I take it? I also couldnít find any human examples, is this because they are hard to track down or that they donít exist? Plus what if they are abundant but we donít notice? They might be doing all sorts of weird things and might even influence embryo development (since HIV a retrovirus makes it across to children)??? I donít know just got me thinking, plus Iím reading a cool SciFi book that mentions retroviruses being used to patch human DNA. Anyone around who knows anything about this subject? I would be really interested in hearing about anything to do with what ďharmlessĒ retroviruses get up to and how they might affect larger organisms. Plus why haven't eukaryotic cells evolved to incorporate retroviruses as some uber self replicating chemical messenger. Imagine you could have like hormone like responses between separate organisms transmitted by a retrovirus???

wOw the world spins?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Human Retroviruses: Spumavirinae
« Reply #1 on: 23/06/2005 22:23:04 »
Foamy viruses are retros without obvious pathological effect. SFV (simian foamy virus) has been found to infect humans involved in the African bush meat trade. Infected individuals have detectable viral nucleic acids (RNA) in the bloodstream, and mount an antibody response, but as far as virologists can tell it's a virus in search of a disease syndrome.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2005 20:01:04 »
neat thanks for the reply! :D

wOw the world spins?

Offline Boris

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2005 10:38:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ultima

Plus why haven't eukaryotic cells evolved to incorporate retroviruses as some uber self replicating chemical messenger. Imagine you could have like hormone like responses between separate organisms transmitted by a retrovirus???

They might have, but it hasn't been discovered yet.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2005 10:38:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums