The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Milk and constipation  (Read 5145 times)

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
Milk and constipation
« on: 17/06/2005 13:23:24 »
well i heard that having more milk will cause constipation. So i want to know is it true.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Milk and constipation
« Reply #1 on: 23/06/2005 09:40:23 »
Milk is rich in the disaccharide carbohydrate lactose which is broken down in the intestine by enzumes called lactases to the monosaccharides glucose and galactose. However, two thirds of the world's population (mainly those outside Europe and North America) do not make appreciable amounts of lactase, causing them to experience the condition known as lactose intolerance.

Usually, suffers complain of nausea, cramps, bloating, wind, and diarrhoea, which begin about 30 minutes to 2 hours after eating or drinking lactose-containing foods.

This is obviously NOT constipation. However, there are subsets of individuals in which milk can trigger constipation. In a recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM, 1998; 339:1100-1104) doctors report a group of chronically-constipated children who's symptoms improved with Soya milk. The cause of the constipation under these circumstances is unknown.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

drkev

« Reply #2 on: 01/08/2005 01:47:12 »
I was stupid enough to drink milk when I had a recent bout of D&V (caught it on a ward I was on rotation on) and this made me seriously ill and extended my sick leave by at least a week. My GP scolded me as I should have known better. I didn't think about it I just poured a bowl of cereal, poured the milk on and ate away not realising that having milk on cereal is still drinking milk DUH!!!!!

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2005 12:06:47 »
Nasty.

Many of the enteric infections that close hospital wards are caused by viruses which attack the cells lining the surfaces of the intestines. As these cells bear the lactases (and other enzymes) responsible for metabolising the lactose in milk, if you damage the bowel wall you lose your ability to break down milk until the damage is made good.

Hence, Kevin, your injured intestine was rendered temporarily sensitive to lactose due to viral injury, and so a big dose of milk made you worse.

The good news is that enterocytes (the cells lining the bowel) regenerate incredibly quickly in order to replace the millions of cells that are scraped off brillo-pad style by all the ruffage we pile into ourselves on a daily basis. So everything should return to normal within a few days.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2005 12:06:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums