The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: QotW - 09.04.26 - Do magnets remove lime scale from water pipes?  (Read 65452 times)

Tim

None
« Reply #50 on: 23/11/2012 00:04:19 »
I was wondering whether the effect of these magnets on limescale has nothing to do with any effect on the copper pipes but rather something to do with the composition of the limescale itself. Looking it up on Wikipedia (not the world's most reliable source I know but also not as unreliable on science questions as some would think) I find that there are at least three limescale types that contain iron (Wustite, Hametite and Magnetite - FeO, Fe2O3 & Fe3O4) so maybe the 'works in some areas but not others' could be to do with the type of limescale minerals found in those areas, in the iron content of the water. Just a thought.

Also I'm fairly sure that at some level magnetism can affect non-ferrous materials. Like inducing an electromagnetic field - like this:
- so who's to say that it can't have an affect on the copper pipe or the calcium element of Limescale.

PeterFW

None
« Reply #51 on: 28/11/2012 17:31:31 »
Fascinating debate. Surely this could be settled by means of a simple experiment? Run two lines of hard tap water, subject one to a magnetic field and leave the other alone. Test the outgoing water for conventional hardness, and filter and run crystallography tests for the forms of  carbonate in suspension. At the same time the test could check for deposition over a longer timescale. Mass balance test on Ca to check that its all accounted for. Sort the question out once and for all! Anyone got a lab?

Offline jonnyleonard

• First timers
    • View Profile
I have personally used this method for stopping the build up of lime-scale for over 25 years, in France, America and now in England, the kits come with 2 double magnets which wrap around the pipe you fit them about 7 cms apart so the magnets are repelling, this changes the properties of the lime-scale particles and it then DOES NOT build up on elements, inside hot water pies etc. The prof who you sent it too for comment didnt even notice that the guy who prompted the discussion said  REMOVE how could it if it wasnt a filter??? 

AndyJ

None
« Reply #53 on: 10/12/2012 14:10:56 »
Perhaps bored chemist would not be bored if he stopped theorising and carried out  an experiment or two :)

AndyJ

None
« Reply #54 on: 10/12/2012 14:11:32 »
Perhaps bored chemist would not be bored if he stopped theorising and carried out  an experiment or two :)

Sean Smith

None
« Reply #55 on: 23/03/2014 09:51:55 »
Where the hell do these people think the minerals are going? Building up on the pipe until it's blocked? No, they aren't.

Saxdude

None
« Reply #56 on: 26/09/2014 20:07:27 »
I'm researching this solution for my house and came across this paper that conducted experiment on magnetic water descaler

http://www.inepo.com/english/uplFiles_resim/Estonia_MariaOrb.pdf

TheWaterWays

None
« Reply #57 on: 22/01/2015 23:03:14 »
I feel that this discussion is leading to an ultimate dead point. The fact that the principles of binding diluted ions has been proven, although it only lasts for a certain amount of time depending on strength of the magnet and direction of the magnetic field. I can tell you they work but on a house or in a small scale (no pun intended) you would not be able to afford the equipment. I speak more about it here http://thewaterways.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/water-conditioners-explained.html

Franciscus Huijbregts

None
« Reply #58 on: 07/08/2015 06:27:51 »
I have worked maintaining apartment buildings for over 35 yrs. in that time I have had to maintain 100gal water heaters on a regular basis by opening a hatch on the side and cleaning out the scale/lime from inside. One of the heaters finally failed and I had to replace it with a similar unit but it came with a magnetic descaler on the cold water inlet pipe. For a few years I did the usual maintenance of opening the hatch to clean out the lime/scale but there was none.
For all of you who say it can't work but have not tried it, do the experiment or keep quiet, you have no knowledge to impart.

Offline Betty Pittman

• First timers
    • View Profile
I simply want to thank you for your very nice link/site..

I copied all the answers, and will study it later.

Thank you, all of you..

If... I gain something from it I will reply later.

I did learn to use  sifted clay to clean the bowl..meanwhile..free from the yard. I added sea salt, not being a chemist don't know if it was necessary.

Clay alone is magical and in many things...industrial and cosmetic, and other...like Kaopectate.. etc.

It will clean anything fine...as in FINE surfaces or textures.

::)

Online vhfpmr

• View Profile
It's intriguing how this can remain so contentious and inconclusive for decades when it's so simple to test. It doesn't quite seem to fit the homeopathy scenario, where there's bags of research but those with a vested interest just keep rejecting it.

I recall trying to track down the patent quoted by one company about 30 years ago, but the Patent Office had no record of any such number.

EB

None
« Reply #61 on: 27/11/2015 20:22:26 »
This is the most unscientific, pointless, and wholly useless, explanation I've ever read or heard from anywhere, ever, about anything. Did a ten year old write it? (Sorry ten year olds...). I thought this site might actually be useful, know what it was talking about... PROVIDE SOME HELPFUL ANSWERS!!? this has got to be a joke, right?

Vivian Doolittle

None
« Reply #62 on: 03/03/2016 16:12:57 »
http://hydroflow-usa.com/hydropath_technology

This technology is slightly different from the magnetic coils you are discussing. It does, however, solve the perceived challenges with simple magnets or electromagnets. Check it out. It is unique.
http://hydroflow-usa.com/hydropath_technology

John brownlee

None
« Reply #63 on: 19/07/2016 18:04:06 »
 Many years ago I worked for a company that fitted similar to gas and oil pipes. As I live in Scotland lime scale was never a problem. However when I bought a holiday home in Bulgaria, limes ale was a major problem. So I searched to see if there was something akin to what I had been fitting to gas and oil pipes.
 I purchased a magnetic lime scale eliminator. Then I discovered that the main water supply into the house was iron(l know) anyway I re run the main in plastic and fitted the appliance. After one week the water is clean and clear of limescale, as an added bonus the water now flows much faster
Well worth the money and a very happy costumer

John brownlee

None
« Reply #64 on: 19/07/2016 18:09:04 »
 Many years ago I worked for a company that fitted similar to gas and oil pipes. As I live in Scotland lime scale was never a problem. However when I bought a holiday home in Bulgaria, limes ale was a major problem. So I searched to see if there was something akin to what I had been fitting to gas and oil pipes.
 I purchased a magnetic lime scale eliminator. Then I discovered that the main water supply into the house was iron(l know) anyway I re run the main in plastic and fitted the appliance. After one week the water is clean and clear of limescale, as an added bonus the water now flows much faster
Well worth the money and a very happy costumer

Charkie_B

None
« Reply #65 on: 04/11/2016 06:39:48 »
Cranfield University researchers say Magnets Can Remove Limescale From Pipes
http://www.discoverymagnets.co.uk/articles-water6.htm
49 years ago I read articles on the use of magnets and - as I was in a high chalk area with significant scaling in my kettle - I tried an old speaker magnet oround the hot pipe.
A few days later, large chunks of scale started coming out of the kettle. within a week the kettle was clean of scale and never scaled up again.
This magnet was a scrap one I had around so I didn't pay the 60+ firms were charhing for special magnets. The only benefits of the ones for sale was that they were in two parts in order to clamp around the pipe - with my scrap one the pipe had to be disconnected in order to fit the magnet.
I am an engineer and - although I didn't understand what the magnetism was doing I appreciated that it worked. I have learned throughout life that just because science say it cannot work - somethings just do!

The Naked Scientists Forum

None
« Reply #66 on: 04/11/2016 06:59:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums