The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does gravity relate to the law of Entropy?  (Read 2828 times)

Ethos

How does gravity relate to the law of Entropy?
« on: 26/04/2009 15:16:13 »
The law of Entropy says that all systems are moving into a state of disorder. How does gravity fit into this law? It would seem that Gravity disobeys this law by regrouping material into common objects. I can understand the arrow of time concept and how it relates to this question but, it appears to me at least in the short term, that gravity is a regenerative aspect of nature. Applying this understanding to our definition of Entropy, in the strict sense, Gravity appears to work against this law.
« Last Edit: 26/04/2009 16:40:18 by Ethos »

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/2009 20:19:46 »
I was just thinking about that in another thread. It seems to me that gravity would operate against entropy by concentrating matter into massive and finally unstable objects.

Ethos

« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2009 02:55:32 »
I was just thinking about that in another thread. It seems to me that gravity would operate against entropy by concentrating matter into massive and finally unstable objects.
This concept; That gravity and entropy are doing a balancing act lends credence to the static universal view. I personally believe that, if we visualize the universe as infinite, gravity and the law of entropy will continue to perpetuate the cosmos into everlasting infinity.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/2009 15:35:04 »
Good point Ethos. I suspect that the universe exists just that way. It occupies an infinite spacial area. Its dimensions are three plus one. The one is time. Time and space are constants, not variables. Space can not expand.

In all my studies, I have never found even one phenomena that is not easily explained within that concept. The idea of variable space-time is a huge obstacle to unification theory. It's like trying to build a complex structure with an elastic measure.

Ethos

« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2009 20:11:42 »
Good point Ethos. I suspect that the universe exists just that way. It occupies an infinite spacial area. Its dimensions are three plus one. The one is time. Time and space are constants, not variables. Space can not expand.

In all my studies, I have never found even one phenomena that is not easily explained within that concept. The idea of variable space-time is a huge obstacle to unification theory. It's like trying to build a complex structure with an elastic measure.
Many will argue that we can expect a heat death in the far future. But for this to happen, we have to assume that gravity doesn't attract energy and this is absolutely not the case. We all know that gravity will bend a ray of light and if it will bend a ray of light, not only does gravity attract matter, it also attracts energy. If one follows this logic to a final conclusion, all the energy being created within our universe has the potential to reassemble into one form of matter or another. As long as any matter exists within this universe, there is potential for it to gain in mass thru what can be termed as cold creation. I believe that this is happening at a constant rate within stellar space, even though it may not be that obvious to us on the macro scale. As vast as the universe is, there's plenty of room for this process to evolve and plenty of time to replenish the matter which is being converted into energy as we speak. No need to fall back on theories about; The Big Crunch, The Big Rip, or The Heat Death. Untill we can prove, without a doubt, that the universe is truly expanding and expanding at an ever accelerating rate, which we have BTW no explanation for, I choose to understand the cosmos in simpler terms.

Infinite and eternal.................Ethos

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2009 20:30:04 »
That's pretty much the way I see it also.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2009 20:30:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length