The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Sasquatch?  (Read 8685 times)

Offline Jaramillo

• View Profile
Sasquatch?
« on: 17/06/2003 18:53:13 »
What do you all know about Sasquatch? I had an experience many years ago and have been searching for valid info since. Has anyone had an experience or do you have a sceintific theory? Gigantopithegus?

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
Re: Sasquatch?
« Reply #1 on: 18/06/2003 01:55:41 »
??????????????????

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/06/2003 05:13:23 »
Donnah,

Sasquatch = Yeti, Bigfoot, Gigantopithecus, Abominal snowman, etc.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/06/2003 12:02:57 »
I guess ths is one of those mysteries along with Nessy that i don't think we'll truly know about.

Speaking of sasquatch, reminds me of a classic Simpsons episode when Homer gets mistaken for big foot!!

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 18/06/2003 13:19:24 »
I've not seen that one - what happens ?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/06/2003 19:03:51 »
I think it's that onw where they went camping and Homer and Bart went to get some food and Homer ending up covered in mud. Some reporter or someone saw it and we all know how Homer can talk jibberish, and was mistaken as Big Foot.

Tom

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/06/2003 19:35:08 »
thats the one buddy!

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/06/2003 23:04:18 »
Jaramillo, what was the experience that you had?

So, Ronnie, I take it you think I've seen one.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/06/2003 00:34:59 »
Oh, Donnah, I'm sorry, no. It was about three in the morning and I was refering to Quantum's question marks and wrote Donnah instead. Must've been thinking about you :) . Actually, Jarramillo and I are best buddies (just like brothers) and I was there that night. I don't know what it was but it sure scared the hell out of me. I'll let him tell the story, but I'm certainly interested in the input.

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/06/2003 06:10:25 »
Maybe Ians Daddy "likes" Donnah? ;-)

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/06/2003 03:24:19 »
Well, I'm blushing now. :)

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20/06/2003 06:06:39 »
oooooooooooooooooooh!:)

*sings* love is in the aiiirrr!

Offline Jaramillo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20/06/2003 08:14:37 »
First off, I think who ever invented Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream should be made KING. There is nothing better than munching on a 1/2 gallon of ice cream at 1 am with a bottle of Magic Shell. Amen. Anyone agree?

Well, the experience that I had and that I can provide evidence for was before the experience with my Latino Brother, a.k.a. Ian's Daddy, a.k.a. Ronnie. I'll get to that one as well after this one.

It was about 14 years ago in the Pacific Northwest. My mother and I were camping in sort of remote area on the Olympic Peninsula. Our tent was pitched beneath a huge pine, on top of many years build up of pine needles. I say this because the ground (pine needles) was very soft and it would either take an incredible amount of weight or an enormous amount of effort to leave an imprint of any type on that surface.

Anyway, we had been there several nights when one night I awoke to the sound of a very deep guttural breathing outside my tent. The best I could tell it was between our car and the tent. Which put it only several feet away. My first thought was that it was a bear! I was 15 years old, alone with my mother in a tent in the middle of nowhere. So I did what any MAN would have done; I basically curled up into a ball, bit my lip and tried not to cry out loud. Suddenly this thing ran towards our tent. At this point I knew it wasn't a bear because I could not only hear the two legged foot steps but also feel them through the ground as it ran past and brushed against the tent. MY SIDE OF THE TENT! I heard it run off into the woods behind us. After about an hour or two of sweating and jumping at every little noise I feel back to sleep.

The next morning my mother and I got up and looked around the campsite. Right next to the side of the tent that it brushed up against was a HUGE foot print! HUGE! In the very thick soft pine needle bed.  Apparent enough to even see the toes. It looked like a giant human foot print. However there is no way that there was a bare-footed human running around out there in the wilderness that was big enough or heavy enough to make this print. I tried myself and hardly left a dent. I pulled out my camera and took a great picture. A picture that to this day I still have.

Three or four years later Ronnie and I were jogging late at night when we lived in the Northwest. Maybe one or two in the morning. It was a dry (a rare occasion) summer night and after jogging several miles out along the roads of a construction site in it's early stages we decided to cut through the woods onto the fire break heading back to town. After several minutes we found the firebreak and proceeded along talking some as we went. As I recall the moon was close to full so there was some light. We could generally make out our surroundings. As we proceeded we noticed a large dark shape half-laying onto and across the firebreak. I at first honestly thought it was a tree lying across our way. However as we approached this thing drug itself off the path! It was large and heavy, I could hear the ground scrape beneath it as it moved. I think we may have actually heard it move before noticing it's movement. At this point I literally jumped behind and to the opposite side of Ronnie putting him closer to it than me. Sad isn't it? As all this happened he and I ran as fast as we could for a good distance. What ever it was didn't follow us but it noticed us and made way for us.

Upon reflection and much conversation we figure it was either a very large injured black bear or an injured Bigfoot. I know it sounds crazy but the only huge dark colored animal in that region is black bears. But black bears really don't get that big! Not big enough to lie across the majority of a fire break wider than the width of a truck. Whatever the animal was had to have been injured in some way otherwise it would have either run or attacked us. I promise this animal was large and had enough instinct to either try to hide itself or leave the seen all together.

Readers may make what ever they like of these two tales. The later is slightly more vague than the former, however I do have a picture to prove the first. If Ronnie reads this I more than welcome him to add anything he may remember to the strange experience he and I had. I hope he may remember more vividly than I. I welcome everyone’s input and opinions in regards to these tales. But I swear to you the first experience made a believer out of me. The second one posses a larger spectrum of possibilities, however in our opinion it could have only been one of two things.

quote:
Originally posted by Donnah

Jaramillo, what was the experience that you had?

So, Ronnie, I take it you think I've seen one.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20/06/2003 11:03:28 »
Well, first of all, I've been trying to get Jaramillo to stop smoking all that sh!t. He comes up with these wild stories about hairy monsters and then tries to implecate me. Please, stop the madness.

Sorry, I had to jab. No, really, I was there and it's exactly like he said. I remember it the same and can't elaborate on it. However, I did get the willies reading what he wrote, because I then recalled the sound....Ick.

I'm stumped too and would love to hear any input from some level headed people.

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20/06/2003 16:38:25 »
These sasquatch thing are hard to explain to another person because they will either think you are nuts or joking.

I haven't got any strange experience, I would've believe in those things if I had any kinds of experience at all, it's a bit like hypnotism isn't.  However I think they might existe if you want to believe they existe.

Tom

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21/06/2003 20:38:21 »
Jaramillo, I find it interesting that you've had two encounters with these creatures.  I'd love to get close to one.  I don't recall ever hearing of a Sasquatch attacking anyone.  They are probably like wolves; they won't attack unless provoked.

About 25 years ago I was riding along a heavily wooded highway in B.C. when we passed someone walking on the other side of the road.  I tend to ignore people in a natural setting, but something in this person's gait caught my eye.  By the time I turned to look we had zipped by, but that was one very tall "person" with incredibly long arms, a huge squished-to-a-point head and a fast but lumbering gait.  When I asked the driver what he had seen he replied that he hadn't gotten a good look, but hoped it was a big person wearing a pointy hood.

I believe yeti exist, but they must be rare or surely we'd have found one or the remains of one by now.  

Offline Jaramillo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26/06/2003 06:46:21 »
newbielink:http://www.bfro.net [nonactive]
The only scientific organization probing the bigfoot / sasquatch mystery

Above you will find a very interesting site regarding bigfoot. They have genetic evidence (hair samples) that prove there is an undiscovered primate living in North America. They can't genetically connect the hair they have found with any known primate, but they know it is primate hair. The have found hair, saliva, and fecal samples, as well as dermal ridges in foot print casts from many remote parts of North America. There have also been many other unique finds in other parts of the world. Check it out and let me know what you think! It sounds like you had an experience of your own.

quote:

Jaramillo, I find it interesting that you've had two encounters with these creatures.  I'd love to get close to one.  I don't recall ever hearing of a Sasquatch attacking anyone.  They are probably like wolves; they won't attack unless provoked.

About 25 years ago I was riding along a heavily wooded highway in B.C. when we passed someone walking on the other side of the road.  I tend to ignore people in a natural setting, but something in this person's gait caught my eye.  By the time I turned to look we had zipped by, but that was one very tall "person" with incredibly long arms, a huge squished-to-a-point head and a fast but lumbering gait.  When I asked the driver what he had seen he replied that he hadn't gotten a good look, but hoped it was a big person wearing a pointy hood.

I believe yeti exist, but they must be rare or surely we'd have found one or the remains of one by now.  

« Last Edit: 26/06/2003 06:51:16 by Jaramillo »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #17 on: 26/06/2003 08:27:47 »
Jaramillo

where is the photograph you took - can you scan it for us ? If you email me the image I'll get it posted to the site and then we can all look at it and you will be famous !

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26/06/2003 23:12:18 »
Jaramillo it would be fantastic if you would scan in the photo for us to peruse!  That website is extremely interesting.  I marked on a map all the Class A sightings in Alberta.  What I noticed is that they all were in parks and reserves (no hunting) or remote areas.  What's really exciting though is that there were 2 sightings of a blonde yeti, one near Banff in 1979 and one near Lake Louise in 1991.  Banff and Lake Louise are 55 miles apart, and Banff is a one hour drive from where I live.  There was also a story about a Sasquach that ran and waved his/her arms at some deer when there were hunters after them.  This furthers my belief that they are gentle creatures.

Is it not possible that humans evolved into 2 distinct lines, one that followed technology, and the other that followed humanity?  We must seem very base to them.  In the words of Albert Eienstein "it appears our technology has surpassed our humanity".  I couldn't agree more.

Offline Jaramillo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27/06/2003 06:27:26 »
I have always wondered that maybe as one strain of man evolved and progressed (dominated) the landscape, maybe another regressed back into the shadows and managed to survive and evolve in it's own way. According to legend farther back when indigenous cultures were closer to the earth and nature they actually had some contact with them. There are some truly amazing legends regarding this, and yes I will scan the picture on. I actually just sent my story to that site I referenced and I'm going to make a copy of the picture and send it to them. I'm not saying that it's the missing link, and I'm not saying it's not. It very well may be a descendant of the Gigantopithegus for all I know. Regardless it has had the intelligence to survive and stay relatively hidden all this time.

quote:

Jaramillo it would be fantastic if you would scan in the photo for us to peruse!  That website is extremely interesting.  I marked on a map all the Class A sightings in Alberta.  What I noticed is that they all were in parks and reserves (no hunting) or remote areas.  What's really exciting though is that there were 2 sightings of a blonde yeti, one near Banff in 1979 and one near Lake Louise in 1991.  Banff and Lake Louise are 55 miles apart, and Banff is a one hour drive from where I live.  There was also a story about a Sasquach that ran and waved his/her arms at some deer when there were hunters after them.  This furthers my belief that they are gentle creatures.

Is it not possible that humans evolved into 2 distinct lines, one that followed technology, and the other that followed humanity?  We must seem very base to them.  In the words of Albert Eienstein "it appears our technology has surpassed our humanity".  I couldn't agree more.

« Last Edit: 27/06/2003 06:34:30 by Jaramillo »

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
« Reply #20 on: 27/06/2003 09:42:15 »
Jaramillo - email a copy of the picture to :

photos@thenakedscientists.com

And we'll put it up for you.

TNS

Offline daghda

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05/07/2005 21:52:51 »
The last I heard was a research team from Oxford U.K. went on a very extensive trek into the Himalayas in search of the Abomnible Snowman and low and behold they actually found one long hair in what their native guides told them was a nest or den of the beast.

When examined back at Oxford they discovered that the dna from the hair did not match any known living creature.

This documentary was aired about two years ago on bbc.

Offline Guru

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08/07/2005 15:57:42 »
Slightly off the topic, but in australia we had an animal called the thylocine or tasmanian tiger is was hunted to extinction its really sad they actually have video footage of the last remaining tasmanian tiger being killed. but since that time there have been various sightings of the creature. there has been other evidence like paw prints and feaces. I beleive that animals (not saying that the big foot as any less human than you or I). can get smart and get smart fast they know how not to be found if they dont want to be. The only thing that really stumps me is the lack of remains, does this mean that there is like some ancient sasquatch burial mound? or do these creatures live such extrodinary lengths of time that they rarely die? (that didn't come out right) that there is only ever a few of them alive at any one time and we just haven't been alive to see one die or find the remains of it? In Australia there is another semi-mythical creature similar to the BigFoot called a bunyip, but they are apparently found near billabongs (like a pond or a lake, sorta swampish)is there any similar common denominator with the big foot?

Your pleasure at my leisure

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09/07/2005 13:11:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by NakedScientist

Jaramillo - email a copy of the picture to :

photos@thenakedscientists.com

And we'll put it up for you.

TNS

Well? It was a good campfire story. Where is the evidence?
« Last Edit: 09/07/2005 13:13:29 by gsmollin »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #23 on: 09/07/2005 13:11:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums