The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If I tunnelled through Earth, wow would I surface in Australia?  (Read 6120 times)

Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Dr Chris,

This question is one that has stuck with me from childhood.  If Australia was directly opposite the UK, and I was to dig down feet first, how would I surface in Australia.

Thanks for your time,
Regards
Chris Baldwin

What do you think?

Offline techmatt

• View Profile
Well once he gets down to far the heat, pressure, and extra gravity would kill him. Putting that aside he would come out feet fist. 42 minutes later if he was in a vacuum. Sorry, I just like finding uses for 42.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question373.htm [nofollow]

One thing to note is he would never really leave the tunnel. He would just  oscillate from rim to rim the the holes.
« Last Edit: 30/04/2009 20:48:58 by techmatt »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm afraid it will not work. You'll get killed soon after you start digging. [xx(]

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
Digging feet first? Wow, that is a skill I would like to see demonstrated on youtube.

Well once he gets down to far the heat, pressure, and extra gravity would kill him.

EXTRA gravity?????

Offline techmatt

• View Profile
What was I thinking?

Of course the closer to the earth's core the less effects of gravity would be seen. I must have been half a sleep.

lyner

Digging feet first? Wow, that is a skill I would like to see demonstrated on youtube.

Well once he gets down to far the heat, pressure, and extra gravity would kill him.

EXTRA gravity?????

When I dig a hole inthe garden I definitely do it 'feet first' - unlike a dog or a mole.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I certainly can't dig with my head.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
No, being a shovel nose you probably wouldn't.

lyner

But, digging UP, the other side, you  would probably be digging head upwards. It would take a lot of scaffolding on the uphill portion! (And a lot of ice cold beer, to make it bearable.)

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game

EXTRA gravity?????

When I dig a hole inthe garden I definitely do it 'feet first' - unlike a dog or a mole.

Yes, you stand in the hole (on your feet) and you use a shovel. I assume.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums