The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it worth growing my Nasal Hair?  (Read 12727 times)

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Is it worth growing my Nasal Hair?
« on: 30/04/2009 23:08:01 »
The 'flu virus operates in general the same way any other virus does, by invading the hosts cells, and mounting a takeover and reordering the cell to make copies of
Flu viruses just love epithelial respiratory tract cells, cells that line the nose, throat, windpipe and lungs. In fact, it adores these cells and spends much of its time infecting them, which is why with 'flu you get a cough, running nose, sore throat etc. Sometimes it also likes to attack muscle cells,( usually associated with joint) which is why you feel so achy with 'flu. The high fever associated with 'flu is the body’s way of fighting the infection, virus/bacteria don't like operating at higher temperatures, unfortunately nor do we!! It can also infect the cells of the intestinal tract, particularly in children, which leads to vomiting and diarrhea.

As I approach my elder years I seem to have developed the ability to grow my nasal hair, should I just let this grow in order to fend off the swine flu?

Variola

« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2009 23:22:38 »
Oh Yuk!!!!!!!! [xx(]

Well I guess we should be greatful that you picked the bogies out first...!!!

I have often wondered what the point of men's long nasal hair is, and the earbeards that they grow too.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2009 23:27:10 »
Oh Yuk!!!!!!!! [xx(]

I have often wondered what the point of men's long nasal hair is, and the earbeards that they grow too.

Ear beards  :oim only just getting over the fact that i have to trim my nose hair, and now you tell me im gonna get a beard around my ears.

Variola

« Reply #3 on: 30/04/2009 23:49:08 »
Oh Yuk!!!!!!!! [xx(]

Ear beards  :oim only just getting over the fact that i have to trim my nose hair, and now you tell me im gonna get a beard around my ears.

I'm so sorry to have to break the news to you!! But there must bean age that men get to when they stop caring, because I've seen lots of older men with some serious earbeards growing!!! And their eyebrows start up too!! As a woman who defuzzes various parts of her anatomay, in a way that most women do, I find it quite odd!!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2009 00:14:23 »
I keep my ear and nose beards properly cropped.

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2009 00:58:11 »
I keep my ear and nose beards properly cropped.

That's kinda the point of this thread Jimbob, should I stop cropping and let it grow in order to fend of the Swine Flu that is killing everybody on the planet, especially those with a job?

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/2009 06:42:22 »
Let it grow! When this swine flu business is over, cut it off!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 01/05/2009 14:27:28 »
Let it grow! When this swine flu business is over, cut it off!

You could then knit it into a wig and flog it to a baldy!!!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/2009 22:53:31 »
I don't know about nasal hair but the majority of what's written about the flu in the quote at the top of the thread is utter rubbish and should be disregarded. Flu does not, for instance, "attack muscles" to provoke the common symptom of myalgia - this is an immunological effect.

Variola

« Reply #9 on: 01/05/2009 23:34:43 »
I don't know about nasal hair but the majority of what's written about the flu in the quote at the top of the thread is utter rubbish and should be disregarded. Flu does not, for instance, "attack muscles" to provoke the common symptom of myalgia - this is an immunological effect.

As a 1st year undergrad Mol Med student I guess I am not entitled to get anything wrong then? Thankyou for calling my post 'rubbish'. A simple correction and explanation would have helped my, and others understanding.
I had done my best to explain,in absence of yourself and I got it wrong, thata after stating I may well be wrong in the original thread it was posted in.
Thanks for that Dr Chris.

lyner

« Reply #10 on: 11/05/2009 17:48:27 »
Variola. If you make wild statements, not based on certain knowledge, you may expect a bit of a vigorous reply. I never had Chris down as a dangerous dog! If you are not sure of your facts then pose your ideas a a question and you will be treated more gently.
Remember "Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread"

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/05/2009 20:28:38 »
OK, the myalgia is related to interferon production If I remember rightly but I'm not sure about the rest of that quote.
For example if this "Flu viruses just love epithelial respiratory tract cells, cells that line the nose, throat, windpipe and lungs. In fact, it adores these cells and spends much of its time infecting them, which is why with 'flu you get a cough, running nose, sore throat etc." isn't true why do you get symptoms localised in the respiratory tract?

As I understood it the raised temperature of a fever was a defense mechanism; if this "The high fever associated with 'flu is the body’s way of fighting the infection, virus/bacteria don't like operating at higher temperatures, unfortunately nor do we!" isn't at least a reasonable summary of what happens, why do we run a temerperature when we get 'flu and other infections?

And I have had a cold or flu do this "It can also infect the cells of the intestinal tract, particularly in children, which leads to vomiting and diarrhea.", or at least cause those symptoms. If it's not the bugs troubling the gut, what is the explanation?

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22/05/2009 22:39:07 »
Variola. If you make wild statements, not based on certain knowledge, you may expect a bit of a vigorous reply. I never had Chris down as a dangerous dog! If you are not sure of your facts then pose your ideas a a question and you will be treated more gently.
Remember "Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread"

Wild statements based on information read on medical websites. Wild statements made in good faith to help out when our resident virologst was consistently absent. I don't expect to be treated with kid gloves, but I do expect some civility from the founder of the forum.
I have no need to justify anything to anyone on here, nor do I need advice on how to post, I am well seasoned with forums, currently running one of my own, and one for a friend.

BC- for a pile of rubbish I guess I didn't do too bad :)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26/05/2009 21:38:07 »
Yes Dr Chris, if you want to increase the falling post rate on this forum I suggest that rubbishing people should stop. I'm getting my fair share of it for asking questions that I'd like to know the answers too. I may ask them in a less conventional way but that is just how my brain works. I ask the questions as they occurred to me so that the people answering have the background as to my train of thought. As a science presenter I have to find unusual angles to fire other peoples brain cells so object to people calling me foolish.

Sorry Turnipsock. I hope your thread has not been hijacked too much. I have one nasal hair that insists on growing down to my knees. I feel it fit to cut the hair so that it doesn't pertrude below my nostril. Breathing through your nose is much healthier than mouth breathing. The nasal hairs are a filter and cooling system as far as I can tell (I'm not a biologist.) I have asthma and get more attacks when my nose is blocked and I have to mouth breath. I say prune your hairs but don't go Brazilian. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 26/05/2009 21:38:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums