The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How far away are distant stars?  (Read 1610 times)

Chris Baldwin

How far away are distant stars?
« on: 30/04/2009 23:30:07 »
Chris Baldwin  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Dr Chris,

I listened to your podcast for the first time whilst walking the dog today, and a question sprang into my head when you were answering another question based on the size and age of the universe.  I have no background in this field, so apologise in advance if my beliefs are unfounded.

Am I right in saying the universe is believed to be 13 billion years old and the furthest stars are this far away from the centre.  If the light from the furthest stars is said to take this long to reach us, then it must mean that these stars were 13 billion light years away, 13 billion years ago.  So how far away are they now.

Thanks for your time,
Regards
Chris Baldwin

What do you think?

Ethos

« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2009 03:05:28 »

So how far away are they now.

Thanks for your time,
Regards
Chris Baldwin

At the speed of light, 186,282 miles per second, we measure distance by how far light travels in a year. That works out to 5.87 X 10^12 miles. So one light year is about 6 trillion miles if my math is correct. The most distant stars we have yet observed are approx. 13.7 billion light years from our local frame. This distance is, to say the least, almost beyond human comperhension. Very distant indeed...............

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2009 03:05:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums