The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I'm off....  (Read 6374 times)

Variola

I'm off....
« on: 02/05/2009 00:33:08 »
Just a quickie to say ta ta.... I am leaving the forum, for reasons that will be obvious to most on the Cells/Microbes thread.

But I didnt want to disappear without saying bye to those I have conversed and had banter with  :)

If anyone really can't live without my presence ( lol) then both Karen W and Jimbob have my proper email, I am sure they won't mind passing it on to anyone who messages them.....at least I hope not!!!

So long and thanks for all the fish  ;D

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #1 on: 02/05/2009 01:22:08 »
NOOOOOO!  [:-'(] [:-'(]

You can't just leave like this...

Come back anytime when you feel like it okay?  [:X] [:X]

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #2 on: 02/05/2009 03:08:03 »
Just a quickie to say ta ta.... I am leaving the forum, for reasons that will be obvious to most on the Cells/Microbes thread.

But I didnt want to disappear without saying bye to those I have conversed and had banter with  :)

If anyone really can't live without my presence ( lol) then both Karen W and Jimbob have my proper email, I am sure they won't mind passing it on to anyone who messages them.....at least I hope not!!!

I am surprised and shocked at all that has happened today whilst I have been away...I am so sorry that you are leaving and I wish you would reconsider your decision  to leave but It seems I am way to late for that!

I am sorry feelings were hurt and that you felt you needed to leave..I certainly wish you would have stayed.
I will miss your posts and your banter as well as your help and concern for the people here...
 Thanks for the address I will write as Often as I can....  Thanks Variola for all your advice as well as research and knowledge and humor as well as company and participation!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #3 on: 02/05/2009 03:14:30 »
I don't get it. ??????

Ethos

I'm off....
« Reply #4 on: 02/05/2009 03:25:06 »
I don't get it. ??????
Neither do I......., I hope she'll reconsider.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #5 on: 02/05/2009 03:44:21 »
I am very sorry to see you go as well Variola. I will also miss your lively and impertinent participation.

C4

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish, the fourth book of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series written by Douglas Adams.

Do I need to hold your hand on EVERYTHING  ????

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #6 on: 02/05/2009 03:57:44 »
That doesn't explain anything though! :D

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #7 on: 02/05/2009 03:59:16 »
If you haven't read these you are seriously humor-deprived.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #8 on: 02/05/2009 04:00:21 »
That's the unfortunate truth I'm afraid. :(

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #9 on: 02/05/2009 04:04:33 »
So what happened in the book?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #10 on: 02/05/2009 04:22:24 »
Read it. I can't hold your hand all the time, as much as you would like me to, son.

(Dang brat - should grow up.mutter, mutter, mutter.)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #11 on: 02/05/2009 05:26:01 »
I don't get it. ??????

Well in the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy as I know it..the Dolfins were the intellectuals that had claimed that mice were the smartest animal on earth and Dolfins were second smartest and Humans were third smartest, so to speak! So as they left they, the Dolfins say as leaving, "So Long and thanks for all the fish!" Something close to that anyway!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #12 on: 02/05/2009 05:30:00 »
What the heck?
Did they eat fish while they were discussing who was the smartest?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #13 on: 02/05/2009 06:10:56 »
What the heck?
Did they eat fish while they were discussing who was the smartest?

No.... they came to earth and stayed Like guests... when they were done here they left ...thanking us for the fish.... you undererstand they used our oceans...until they knew the world would be blown up! So it was time to leave....before that happened so they basicly said thanks for the hospitality now lets blow this pop stand and get the heck out of Dodge..etc... etc... smart dolfins and here we thought we were the intelligent life!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #14 on: 02/05/2009 06:13:25 »
Okay, I see. Thanks.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #15 on: 02/05/2009 06:22:57 »
Okay, I see. Thanks.

You should read the books or rent the movie...its funny really!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #16 on: 02/05/2009 06:23:29 »
Hmmm....apparently I should. :)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #17 on: 02/05/2009 06:27:48 »
Ihope the food Variola partook of here was a nurturing to her as  the food she brought to us! 

Thank you too Variola!

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #18 on: 02/05/2009 10:06:42 »
Okay, I see. Thanks.

You should read the books or rent the movie...its funny really!

No, not the movie. The radio series or the TV series or the books. Very, very funny and clever. Laugh out loud funny.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #19 on: 02/05/2009 10:07:34 »
Where can I get my hands on the radio or TV series?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #20 on: 02/05/2009 10:27:17 »
Variola (if you are reading this), I would urge you to come back when the dust settles a bit. The trouble with text forums like this is that people don't behave the way they would face-to-face. Sometimes people say things in a way they would never do in a more "normal" interaction. I liken it to how people in cars will rudely queue-jump but who would never do it in their local post office. People behave this way for various reasons - because they don't have the visual feedback, they behave this way normally (but you can't see what sad people they are), because they see this medium as a way of not needing to display social pleasantries or just simply because they were in a hurry and wanted to express a view quickly. On political websites, rudeness is sometimes a deliberate technique. I try to behave as close as possible to how I would behave face-to-face but it is easy to make an occasional mistake so that offence is caused. The forum is a lesser one without your amusing and informed contributions so it would be good if you could just have a change of heart and come back.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #21 on: 02/05/2009 10:32:45 »
Everything is available on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy-DVD/dp/B00005OCTS

The TV series doesn't cover all the radio series or the books. Still excellent though.

You can get the books via Amazon too.

If you liked this you could also try his very funny detective series "Dirk Gently, Holisttic Detective Agency" I don't remember the titles.

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #22 on: 02/05/2009 13:32:16 »
I am leaving the forum, for reasons that will be obvious to most on the Cells/Microbes thread.
This is directly to Variola, who I suspect may be checking back a couple of times to see what reaction her departure has generated. If Karen W. would like to email it to her in case she doesn't check in that would be great, though Karen may decide it isn't worth the bother, or would be offensive to do so.

How others think of me, even as an anonymous character on an internet forum, is important. (It's probably too important to me, but such is life.) I mention this because I shall now quite possibly alienate several of you, but I believe what I am going to say needs to be said and said in a very direct manner.

Variola, if I understand things correctly you have left because Chris described your post as 'mostly rubbish'. If there is more to it than that stop reading now and ignore the rest of this post. Otherwise:....

Variola, grow up. If you can't take vigorously expressed criticism you shouldn't be in society, let alone training to be a doctor. If you are going to run away simply because your pride (quite unjustified pride in this instance) took a small knock then you are going to have a miserable life.

Ask yourself this - was your post mostly rubbish or not? If it was where does the fault for that lie? Not with Chris. Could he have been more diplomatic in explaining why you were wrong. Sure he could. Does that alter the fact that you were wrong and that he pointed that out? I don't think it does. Arguably you should actually be thanking him for that, while perhaps berating his method of doing so.

I could have understood you responding with some anger to his remark, but leaving the forum in a huff is the act of a child not an adult, so I say again .... grow up. Then come back and engage again with the many others on the forum who clearly value your contributions. In other words make a well balanced, objective decision after due thought, not an ill considered, emotional decision in haste.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm off....
« Reply #23 on: 03/05/2009 09:55:55 »
I don't think it is a coincidence that our newest member is called Variola. :)

Variola

I'm off....
« Reply #24 on: 03/05/2009 10:19:42 »
The above post has been brought to my attention, so I have re registered in order to make a quick reply to it, and set right a few incorrect statements. Of course the people who really matter have already posted above :)

Ophiolite, you know nothing about me, or about why I quit the forum,yet you decide to post a patronising reply on a thread that really did not concern you at all. So, few points listed as follows:

*I left because I found it distasteful that the founder/creator of this forum could behave in such an arrogant way towards a member, It wouldn't have mattered if my post was complete rubbish or totally accurate, for me it sets the tone of the forum, There are plenty of other science forums, many of them have much more input from their founders than this one.If i am going to spend my time on any forum, it should be one that is worth it.
As for Chris' reply, it shows exactly how he views this forum, and the posters on it, if he is a lecturer I feel sorry for his students!!!

*To enlighten you further, I am not training to be a doctor, I am studying molecular medicine, which in case you don't understand, is the study of human disease at a molecular level.Telling me to grow up is quite amusing, and reflects your own over-inflated view of your own status. My dear chap, I am 33 yrs old, I am a mother to 3 kids and this is my 'second' career. I already have professional qualifcations in a different area, and in effect this is my second degree, having already attained a masters level previously.I am hardly some snotty-nosed med student who would be crushed by a forum comment, if you knew anything about me on here, or my postings you would already know I am hardly a wallflower!!! So thanks for your patronising words of wisdom,but perhaps you should look at why *you* felt the need to comment on things that you know nothing about.

To all the other people who contributed above..... thank you SO MUCH!! Bless you all you are a lovely lot and I will miss you, I am truly touched by your responses I really am xxxx

The Naked Scientists Forum

I'm off....
« Reply #24 on: 03/05/2009 10:19:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length