The Naked Scientists Forum

Poll

Who is in favour of it

A great idea
2 (100%)
A crazy idea
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Is manned space exploration a good idea?  (Read 14706 times)

lyner

Is manned space exploration a good idea?
« Reply #25 on: 14/05/2009 18:44:46 »
You are presupposing that "more is better" where humans are concerned. If we were rearing battery hens then your calculations about possible populations may apply. Surely, quality of life comes first.
Actually, the future you describe would not involve humans, as we know them. They would be as alien to us, here and now, as anyone who might turn up in a shop from Alpha Centauri. People have enough problems accepting Catholics, Jews and Moslems so just how would they all be expected to get on? Someone with whispy arms and legs, who couldn't walk upright on Earth would not be readily acceptable in polite company - and we're talking Evolution, here.
We all know that Spacers and Earthers hate each other, from all the Science Fiction we read as boys.
Let's get it right here on Earth before we go too wild about expansion. In any case, all your space shots will only knacker the Ozone layer and increase greenhouse gases further.

Call me an old fuddy duddy, if you like.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14/05/2009 19:15:49 »
No, I'm talking about people living under 1g gravity@1 atmosphere; you know: humans, only... in space habitats.

And not all space launch systems change the ozone layer.
« Last Edit: 14/05/2009 19:17:22 by wolfekeeper »

lyner

« Reply #27 on: 15/05/2009 00:03:53 »
Presumably you feel that more humans is better?

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15/05/2009 01:27:57 »
Well, let's say I don't favour mass extermination or sterilisation programs, and people have this habit of enthusiastically reproducing.

It seems to me that having people populating the solar system would not be a bad thing at all- much better than having them all on Earth; and it can take some pressure off the Earth's biosphere in fact.

It also seems to be technically possible to me to actually move people off the Earth in million quantities if they want to go, and I think that space can be made somewhere people want to be, both on planets, as well as off planets.

lyner

« Reply #29 on: 16/05/2009 22:21:00 »
Beyond Bedlam.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16/05/2009 23:24:41 »
Well, all things are relative. I used to work with a Chinese woman, I once asked what the biggest difference to China was. She said... 'it's so quiet here, so few people!' and there was like a sort of wistful air, like she was lonely, she missed all the people. And it was weird, I sort of glanced around, and nothing had changed, but suddenly there was nobody around, I was surrounded by lots of space and so few people.

But really, space is big, really, really big. The actual population density would not necessarily be high at all.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 16/05/2009 23:24:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length