The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: im looking at you!  (Read 4914 times)

Offline tangoblue

• RANDOMNESS RULES!!!
    • View Profile
im looking at you!
« on: 02/05/2009 23:21:11 »
do you sometimes walk down the street and you feel like someone is watching you, you turn around and somebody is looking at you through a window.  How do you know people are watching you before you even look?  SPOOKY!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
im looking at you!
« Reply #1 on: 03/05/2009 00:20:42 »
I feel it is a rather under developed human sense...I believe if you recognise it and exercise it by relying on it more it can become more sensitive and you will be able to sense these things more often..like a safety mechanism we have but we under use it  because we do not recognise it  or believe it possible within ourselves!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
im looking at you!
« Reply #2 on: 03/05/2009 02:19:00 »
I wonder how many times you walk down the street and think no-one is looking at you and they aren't?

And how many times you are walking down the street and you have no sensation at all but still make eye contact with someone that is looking at you?

If this were a underdeveloped human sense I think we would have developed it.. since it is a very useful skill to have. More likely it's just one of those pesky  coincidences. A time where you remember when it does happen (because it's remarkable) and forget all the times it doesn't.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
im looking at you!
« Reply #3 on: 03/05/2009 05:36:22 »
It's all a coincidence.

Offline tangoblue

• RANDOMNESS RULES!!!
    • View Profile
im looking at you!
« Reply #4 on: 03/05/2009 10:22:52 »
I wonder how many times you walk down the street and think no-one is looking at you and they aren't?

And how many times you are walking down the street and you have no sensation at all but still make eye contact with someone that is looking at you?

If this were a underdeveloped human sense I think we would have developed it.. since it is a very useful skill to have. More likely it's just one of those pesky  coincidences. A time where you remember when it does happen (because it's remarkable) and forget all the times it doesn't.

Just because it would be a useful skill to have doesn't mean that we would definitely have learnt it.

Offline tangoblue

• RANDOMNESS RULES!!!
    • View Profile
im looking at you!
« Reply #5 on: 03/05/2009 10:27:13 »
talking about skills, it made me think of the brain.  Call me a weirdo but i thought that this was quite interesting.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-15-2004-50575.asp

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
im looking at you!
« Reply #6 on: 03/05/2009 12:37:12 »
"Just because it would be a useful skill to have doesn't mean that we would definitely have learnt it."
Ever heard of evolution?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
im looking at you!
« Reply #7 on: 04/05/2009 13:03:13 »
I had a feeling I was being looked at by people that was so strong, I could feel a burning sensation at the side of my head.

I was right! People were looking at the side of my head, but that was not the reason for the burning sensation, it was the fag I'd stuck behind my ear which I hadn't properly extinguished!!!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
im looking at you!
« Reply #8 on: 05/05/2009 14:50:38 »
I must confess that on many occasions I've turned around to find someone looking directly at me.  There's been no conscious thought about it though - I've not been 'feeling' that someone's looking at me, and there's been no decision to to turn - it has always been an instinctive thing where I've just (re)acted before I've even realised that I was going to do so.

However, we need to remember that our field of vision is greater than 180 degrees in the horizontal plane, so although we might only be conscious of what we are focusing our stereo vision upon, the peripheral stuff is still coming into each eye and is still being processed by the brain.

This peripheral vision stuff is quite interesting; not only is it more sensitive to light and dark than our central vision, it's also more sensitive to movement too, and when you think that the peripheral vision from each eye can't be combined into a single image, because there's no overlap, it reminds me a little bit of the chameleon's totally independent eyes.

I also suspect, through experiment, that many animals are aware of the significance of the 'face'.  The experimental evidence is that I've found that I can walk much closer to wild crows before they fly away if I don't actually look at them and just keep my head/face cast slightly down.  Heh - during these 'experiments' the only thing I've varied is where my face is pointing - I've tried to keep my pace and manner/behaviour the same (my clothing has been broadly similar too - with subdued colours)

Anyway, if it is the case that we have a evolutionarily developed ability to recognise faces (and when you think about it, facial appearance is a huge factor in our ideas of beauty), then I think it's possible that one of the things our brains do when they process our peripheral vision is to identify faces that are turned towards us and this might account for many cases where we turn to see someone looking at us.

This wouldn't account for cases where it was someone directly behind us, but in most cases it just seems that all we need to do is turn our heads to see our observer, which would mean that they were probably already within our field of peripheral vision - they just hadn't been flagged up as important by our brains until they showed interest by turning towards us.

lyner

im looking at you!
« Reply #9 on: 05/05/2009 23:36:12 »
Does it not strike you that people will look at someone who turns round to look behind them. The sudden appearance of a face, looking directly at them will register with their peripheral vision. Which comes first, then - them looking at the back of your neck or your face causing them to stare?

When I bought my first pair of varifocal glasses, they were so crap that only the central bit of my vision was good at distances. I couldn't look sideways at people in order to see them in focus and I had to face them directly. Dozens of people gave me strange looks because they noticed my 'full face' when I looked at them directly. It doesn't happen now I have a good pair and can be more surreptitious.  (Nothing pervy - I mean just normal scanning of the people around me)

The Naked Scientists Forum

im looking at you!
« Reply #9 on: 05/05/2009 23:36:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums