The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: QM ,Virtual Photons and Electromagnetic fields.  (Read 2970 times)

Offline McQueen

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/natureoflight/pgindex
QM ,Virtual Photons and Electromagnetic fields.
« on: 29/06/2005 22:03:58 »
Gsmollin
OK, I think what you are saying is the same as the theory of quantum mechanics. The magnetic field is transmitted by virtual photons. All electromagnetic phenomena are caused by the exchange of virtual photons.

Actually, I just don't know enough about the characteristics of virtual photons to say yes or no to this. While I accept the concept of virtual photons, as part of QM, I do so only because it is inevitable to explain semiconductor physics. I have not studied their properties enough to comment on this. Maybe somebody else can help.

The above is taken from a different post (http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2255 )  the topic is so interesting that  I am continuing (hopefully without any objections) the discussion in a new thread . QM states that Virtual photons , at least in the context  which  is used here with reference to low energy electromagnetic radiation , originate in the interaction of Quantum entangled pairs ( electron-positron pairs ) which , because they represent matter and anti-matter respectively are constantly undergoing creation and annihilation , the causative and end product of these interactions are virtual photons . This is interesting because for the first time we have something akin to the aether being proposed by QM. Thus when electrons flow in a wire the low energy  electromagnetic radiation they radiate ,  interacts with the virtual electron-positive field ( which according to QM is all pervasive in the Universe ) this interaction results in real photons being formed out of the creation /annihilation process , but these photons last for only a very short time before again giving rise to new electron-positron pairs and the whole process is repeated. As  can be seen this is a tremendously complicated process and this is reflected in the mathematics used to depict the process which results in a number of  infinities and does not work unless re-normalised .

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
Re: QM ,Virtual Photons and Electromagnetic fields.
« Reply #1 on: 30/06/2005 14:45:17 »
Yes, it is an interesting subject, but always so... strange.

For instance, something as simple as explaining the charge on an electron becomes just another QM, or QED in this case, impossibility. Many of us are familiar with alpha, the fine structure coupling constant in QED. Without elaboration, I can refer you to a short paper here: http://www.btinternet.com/~ugah174/

The really odd thing is that this number is wrong! It is correct, as a low energy limiting case, but at very high energies, the number begins to change. This is caused by an effect called vacuum polarization. The electronic charge attracts positive charges from the vacuum. Now we still measure e, at a long distance. As we get closer, we begin to measure a larger number for e. And of course alpha changes too. That's because, the negative charge must be greater and greater to neutralize the positive vacuum polarization. At the exact center of the charge, its value become infinite. This is one of the infinities that pops up in QM, and must be renormalized.

I think we should all be outraged by this, since it is clearly a lie too. The charge on an electron cannot be infinite. The QM theory is breaking down. While QM is an effective theory over a range of energy, it does not tell us even the true charge on an electron.

At some energy, QM will become a low energy limiting case as well, and a new theory will be required to give us the charge on an electron.

Offline rabeldin

• View Profile
    • http://www.stormloader.com/dickbeldin
« Reply #2 on: 30/06/2005 19:04:51 »
It's those d****d infinities. The physicists approximate their integrals with things like divergent series. And then they wonder where the infinities come from. Mathematicians don't like to deal with approximations, so they leave the physicists on their own. Bad choice!

R A Beldin,
Improbable Statistician

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 30/06/2005 19:04:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums