The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the Internet Explorer 8 - Browser Like??  (Read 5923 times)

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is the Internet Explorer 8 - Browser Like??
« on: 05/05/2009 18:23:06 »
I have just done a Windows AV update scan and it asked me if I want to install the IE 8 browser.

I do not know anything about it, such as is it a faster, saver browser than IE7
which I am using now as well as GoogleChrome, that's too slow for me whereas
I find IE faster upload or downlaoding.

Also does IE8 look clearer and tidier than IE7 does now?

Thanks Rosalind

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #1 on: 06/05/2009 00:58:12 »
Windows has been offering (pushing) IE8 via Windows Update since last Tuesday.
I haven't tried it yet, but it is the succesor to IE7 and sooner or later (6-9months I guess) Microsoft will stop releasing patches and bugfixes for IE7 and you'll be forced to move over.

Personally, I'll wait a few more weeks to allow more (inevitable) bugs to be ironed out...

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/05/2009 11:53:48 »
Windows has been offering (pushing) IE8 via Windows Update since last Tuesday.
I haven't tried it yet, but it is the succesor to IE7 and sooner or later (6-9months I guess) Microsoft will stop releasing patches and bugfixes for IE7 and you'll be forced to move over.

Personally, I'll wait a few more weeks to allow more (inevitable) bugs to be ironed out...
Thanks techmind but yesterday was the first that Microsoft had asked/offered me the IE8 browser, I clicked on "Don't Install" being cautious mainly.
Yes good idea I'll wait for a bit until
I do install the replacement for this IE7 to IE8 as you'd advised.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/05/2009 11:58:56 »
I use IE8 the only complaint I have with it is that it is sometimes reluctent to download PDF's then I swap to Safari, no big problem
« Last Edit: 14/05/2009 12:01:28 by syhprum »

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/05/2009 11:34:10 »
I use IE8 the only complaint I have with it is that it is sometimes reluctent to download PDF's then I swap to Safari, no big problem

Thanks syhprum and this morning, I have just been asked by my MSN thing if I wantt to change to IE8 but I do use GoogleChrome.
Although with GoogleChrome, I can't find the tools facility on that browser. Or other things that I can easily use on IE.

I do use GoogleChrome for PDGs sometimes or scan them through.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2009 19:52:27 »
Ok, I've been using IE8 at work for a few days now.

It's got a few neat features like colour-coding "tabs" where you've spawned one tab from another. It remembers lots of extra 'history' which is neat in that if you've shut down the browser you can re-open where you left off, including all tabs (how often have you shut down the whole of IE7 when really you only intended to close one tab?). Even just opening a new empty tab 'suggests' the recent sites you've been to. On the other hand this presents more of a privacy/potential embarrassment risk - so they've also added 'in private' browsing which is a mode which doesn't remember all this 'helpful' history.

On the flip side, I've had it go "Not Responding" and need to be closed down with Task Manager a couple of times now, on very mainstream websites.
Quite a few sites don't fully load or aren't fully functional in IE8 - this may be because IE8 is purportedly more standards-compliant... but IE8 does have an IE7 'compatibilty' mode which you can choose to use (per site) which works as IE7.

I don't know how the security compares with IE7 (there's probably supposed to be improvements), but I've heard quite a few security concerns with Chrome, so IE8 might well be safer than Chrome.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2009 19:52:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums