The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Antibiotics and infections  (Read 10911 times)

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Antibiotics and infections
« on: 18/06/2003 01:06:08 »
Chris, this question is for you.  I have a nasty sinus infection and have been taking Erythromycin (250mg) for six days.  I can function again, but the infection is far from gone.  Are these antibiotics too wimpy for the job?  Also wondering how close Erythromycin is to penicillin since my Dad is so allergic to penicillin that a single dose would kill him.  I heard that with an allergy like that you should skip a generation before using that drug again.
« Last Edit: 17/05/2004 07:07:08 by NakedScientist »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Antibiotics and infections
« Reply #1 on: 18/06/2003 13:26:09 »
Donnah

Erythromycin is the usual choice of agent for people with established beta-lactam (penicillin-like drug) reactions. It is an extremely effective drug but tends to be avoided because the side effects, including diarrhoea, tend to be unpleasant.

As it is a totally different molecule, with an entirely different mechanism of action to penicillin, there is no risk of cross-reaction in someone who is pen-allergic. That said, there is no reason why someone who is pen-allergic cannot also independently be erythromycin allergic. One doesn't guarantee the other !

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2003 02:05:54 »
Thanks Chris:), you're a blessing.

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/06/2003 08:04:11 »
Chris, I also got a question for you, but not about sinus.

I've been taking oxytetracycline tablets for treating spots. I know a drug affect the way body works so I'm a bit cautious about the drug I take. I asked my GP what oxytetracycline do to my body, but instead of answering my question he just keep saying that I'll get better.

So...may be you can tell me how it works?

Angel

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/06/2003 12:34:20 »
C22H24N2O9 is the formula... its an antibiotic produced by Streptomyces rimosus.

Resident Tour Operator - The Naked Scientists

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2003 13:43:24 »
Erm...Richard, if you don't mind me asking, what is Streptomyces rimosus?

Angel

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/06/2003 14:17:03 »
Its a bacteria

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/06/2003 02:03:15 »
Angel, you're quite right to be cautious about what you put into your body.  When I was 16 "they" put me on Tetracycline for zits as well.  I took it for somewhere between 6 months and a year (can't remember exactly) and I strongly feel that it contributed to the collapse of my immune system (fibromyalgia).  It's a useful drug, but I'd be cautious about how long you take it for.  

Also, I have a low tolerance for doctors that patronize[xx(] you by ignoring your question and telling you it will make you better.  You are a bright girl and he's treating you like you are stupid.  Stick up for yourself.  I would inform him that I would not follow his directions until he answered my question.

If you want to get rid of your spots just write down what you eat each day on one side of a page and on the other side write down when your breakouts occur.  I'm betting you'll see a pattern.  Spots can be caused by hormones, junk food (sugars and saturated fats), cosmetics, allergies, and pollutants.  Chocolate is frequently involved.
« Last Edit: 20/06/2003 02:06:04 by Donnah »

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/06/2003 08:05:51 »
Cheers Donnah, I'll try that.

Angel

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/06/2003 09:12:31 »
I found that spots can be reduced by cleaning the face. I never used any of those expensive spot creams like clearasil etc... the best thing i found was tea tree oil, its amazing stuff for any grazes and for cleaning skin. It is quite strong however and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone with sensitive skin (best to apply a small amount to a non visible area first and see if you get any soreness. It isn't good to blitz the face too often however, as this kills the "friendly" bacteria on your face too. I agree wih donnah about foods, some greasy foods can be really bad for making your glands choke out lots of grease (i think its called sebum). The sweat blocks the pores which then become infected.

Don't worry, i would have thought you'll be rid of them soon, mine went pretty much as i got to Uni and i only get the occasional ones now. ;)

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21/06/2003 01:11:38 »
I think maybe:

If the thing is long and has a non-polar end it'll dissolve in oil. But if the other end is polar it'll dissolve in water. So it's dragged away by the water but also tows the oil away too.

Reading that again it sounds really silly and probably isn't right, does anyone know what really happens?

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21/06/2003 06:12:04 »
Umm, are we still talking about zits? I know that in my pubescent years, I used dish soap(good to cut grease), alcohol (good astringent and antiseptic) and put balanced lotion back on (natural and pH balanced). Clean as a baby's butt.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21/06/2003 20:02:32 »
I like what Exodus said about using tea tree oil.  You could apply it with a q-tip or a tiny paint brush to get a spot application.  My general rule of thumb is to try the most natural solutions first, because I think nature knows what she's doing better than we do.  

I'm reluctant to use anything that is alcohol based or alcohol processed (like some cold breakfast cereals) because Dr. Hulda Regehr Clark (in her book The Cure For All Cancers) thinks it contributes to cancer.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21/06/2003 20:09:59 »
Chris, just thought I'd mention that the diarrhoea caused by Erythromycin can be controlled quite nicely by drinking lots of organic, unclarified apple juice.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24/06/2003 03:41:31 »
It's a good idea to be skeptical until you do your own research.  The commercial apple juice would probably work too (it's the pectin that slows things down) but it tastes disgusting to me after drinking the real McCoy.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15/07/2003 21:55:01 »
Tetracycline is old style medicine in these parts.  I've read some studies that long term use can precipitate ulcerative colitis, so I'd be careful with staying on the antibiotic any length of time.  Our dermatologists use retinoic acid (Vit A) preparations and a strong peroxide solution for washing the face.  For the really severe cases, cystic acne, we use Accutane (isotretinoin).  It comes in pill form, but you have to be using a reliable method of birth control before taking it, because it can cause birth defects.  When I was younger, we used to dab our faces with vinegar after washing, the keep the pH of the skin acidic, which it should be.  Also, don't scrub your face vigorously to clean it -- tends to spread the acne.

Bezoar

Offline McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16/07/2003 00:01:41 »
There's a product over here called Proactive.  I have several friends in their teens as well as into their 30's with skin problems that swear by this stuff.

I have very sensitive skin, but I find that I tolerate tea tree oil well. I prefer it in bar soap.  It tends to dry the skin, so opt for a good moisturizer as well.

I am allergic to penicillin as well, but have not experienced any side effects with the other antibiotics.  Eat live-cultured yogurts and you're less likely to have lower digestive problems anyway.

McGee

Teachers don't make a lot of money, but they make a lot of difference.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17/05/2004 11:32:20 »
I have a horrible cold and feel really bad, my nose is runny and then gets blocked, my forehead feels like someone is standing on it, and my voice is croaky  and my throat hurts !!....I don't really want a remedy unless you have a definitve cure, in the mean time I'm just drinking hot lemon/paracetemol drink etc.. I gather nature will takes it's course but I just wanted to tell everybody...and that's made me a little better....can you please wish me better.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'  

Offline Rokitansky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17/05/2004 12:28:20 »
Get better Neil ![8D]

BTW , my Microbiology teacher says that for rhinoviruses the best cure is to inhale hot air from your range (i`m not sure for this word, I looked in the vocabulary, It`s the place where you cook coffee etc. ) Optimal temperature for them to multuply is 33 C, which is the temperature in your upper respiratory pathways. Thay don`t feel comfortable on 37 C , though.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17/05/2004 13:01:32 »
Thanks Darko...I'm going to stick my head above a bowl of hot water and inhale....I appreciate the tip.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17/05/2004 14:59:58 »
I'm wishing you better Neil!

I once knew a man from Japan that swore hot Saki was a cure for the common cold.  I tried it once and decided it would cure just about anything, including life itself.

Personally, I eat lots of really spicy hot food when I'm sick.  If it doesn't cure the disease, at least it takes your mind off the symptoms!  

Get well soon!

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17/05/2004 18:39:23 »
Thanks John !!..I'll give the hot Saki a go...though I don't drink !!..perhaps If I repeatedly hit myself over the head with a bottle of it, it will knock me out and my aches and pains will all go away.

I like the spicy food remedy. but don't you find your taste buds go into 'withdrawl' mode when you get a cold ?

How were the ribs by the way *hmmmmmmm yum yummy yum yum*

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17/05/2004 22:52:41 »
Neil, hope you're feeling better soon.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18/05/2004 00:28:15 »
The ribs were great, but after two nights in a row, they were not so appealing.  I've got to learn to smoke less ribs and some other things to add some variety.

And, no, my tastebuds don't really go into withdrawal mode.  If anything, I like it hotter then because I can't really taste as well.  This remedy is not so appealing if your stomach is queasy - hot stuff is NOT so good the second time around![xx(]

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18/05/2004 02:59:04 »
Aw, Penile, poor baby.  Are you sick?  Now, I hear that the zinc tablets over the counter are excellent for shortening the length of a cold.  Also, honey, but only if it is made from bees in your area, is an excellent decongestant if your nose if all stuffy.  Other than that, go to bed and get some sleep!!!!!!!  Hope you feel better soon.
« Last Edit: 18/05/2004 02:59:48 by bezoar »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 18/05/2004 02:59:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums