The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: smoke to dust?  (Read 5761 times)

Offline kitin21

• First timers
    • View Profile
smoke to dust?
« on: 04/07/2005 15:26:53 »
hi! i need ur help guys.. i'm a computer engineering student and we have our thesis and we plan to propose something like smoke to dust transformation.. a filtering system that's knda automated.. since we know that pollution is a common problem. now my question is.. is there a chemical which can actually transform a smoke into dust? something that is non-toxic?

wat we plan to build is something like.. once the smoke enters an exhaust fan, the fumes of smoke will then be contained in a tube-like container and upon meeting the specific amount of smoke, it will then emit an equivalent reagent thus turning smoke into dust.

therefore, i really really need a help here guys.. is there a chemical reagent that can transform fumes of smoke into dust? tnx guys.. and.. sori if my english is bad..

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
Re: smoke to dust?
« Reply #1 on: 04/07/2005 16:00:25 »
Erm are you sure this is possible at all? Coz it seems a bit far out

----------------------
-__- my website!!!!
http://www.simeonie.co.uk
has forums too!
Think about it! lolz

Offline rabeldin

• View Profile
    • http://www.stormloader.com/dickbeldin
« Reply #2 on: 04/07/2005 18:01:52 »
What do you see as the difference between smoke and dust? Concentration, particle size, ...?

R A Beldin,
Improbable Statistician

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/07/2005 14:15:31 »
Particle size, for sure. Smoke particles are angstrom size, which is why they block visible light so well. Dust is pretty large, 5 microns and up to visible size. This concept seeks to clump the smoke particles together to make big dust particles. I'm not an expert on this; the only way I know this has been done is with electrostatic precipitators.
« Last Edit: 05/07/2005 14:16:13 by gsmollin »

Offline kitin21

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/07/2005 17:35:13 »
yeah.. i heard that too.. i've done some research and came up with the idea of using chemisorption or using an ionizer.. but il just figure out wat's the best to use and how we will apply it to the whole system.. tnx guys.. but more information from all of u will be very appreciated.. il check once n a while this site. hope u guys help me out still. tnx..

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #5 on: 14/07/2005 18:01:00 »
i think what you want is an electrostatic precipitater i assume the problem is not about turning smoke into dust but cleaning the air before it gets in to the circuts yes? well try this you should find tech specs on the internet some where its seventies tech but should fit your needs perfectly. hope this helps

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
The philosopher Q man

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 14/07/2005 18:44:10 »
well dust is a solid isn't it? And smoke is a gas.

----------------------
-__- my website!!!!
http://www.simeonie.co.uk
has forums too!
Think about it! lolz

Offline weebrain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/08/2005 11:21:05 »
mybe u should be lookin at using a filtration system to clean the air (as in a vaccum-cleaner) n using a (fire alarm device) to count parts-per-million as sensor its a rough idea.

sir loony

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/08/2005 04:22:09 »
Having worked in Foundries with lots of smoke and dust, and some fumes I have a little experience in this. The older method was to force the air though a water bath, make the bubbles small enough and the smoke and dust particals will bump into the water surface and become trapped. The problem was disposing of the water with all the dirt. Ponds allowed much of it to settle out, but the water picked up lots of chemicals and some minerals, and couldn't be discharged without a lot of expensive clean up.

Today newer plants go with dust collecting bag houses. The air is electrically charged to clump the smoke particals, and the dust is then trapped in the bag. Sections of the bag house are put under neutral pressure for a short time and the bags shaken to discharge the buildup on the walls. This material is then shipped to a clay lined dump where it won't become part of the ground water. Processes that produce chemicals such as benzine have the air cleaned in a water solution that may include chemicals to combine with the chemicals and be parcipitated out as a sludge which also goes to the land fill.

A lot of what has been done to keep plant emmissions down, is to make the air inside the plant very unhealthy. I.e. reduce the rate of air exchange. When you have an older plant that wasn't designed to the most current technology you run into a lot of problems.

David

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 06/08/2005 04:22:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums