The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does my shaver make snow on my tv ?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why does my shaver make snow on my tv ?
« on: 07/07/2005 17:29:29 »
Hello Lovely Science peeps,

I think I know the answer to this but I'm not too sure.Well, I may think I know the answer but I do not know why.

Why when I use my electric cordless shaver does my TV display white noise ?...It's a radio interfence thing yes ?...but it's a shaver not a radio transmitter  !!...also, should there (errhhmm)..be other things in the house (perhaps hiden in the wardrobe) that would do the same thing ?....err....[:I]

Your interfernce free answers would be most appreciated.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Tronix

• View Profile
Re: Why does my shaver make snow on my tv ?
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2005 01:20:13 »
well, i dont knwo much abour EMI, but heres atheroy or two. if there was a short in the shaver somewhere, and elcetricyty was allowed to get to the metal prongs (assumign it has metal prongs), then it could probably serve as a rudimentary anntena, just enough to screw things up. if there is alot of charged metal sticking out, it could be that as well, but that woudl be if you have a old or industrial strength one.

as for things in your closet, unless its mischevious or likes/dislikes shavers, then i doubt its somethignt that wierd. Unless of course its a primeval demon from the ninth circle of hell that is out to bring about armagedon by using your fear to brain washing you into pressing the big red button. but that onyl happened 3 times in my neighborhood. this week.

--------------------------------------------
"If i cannot have company whose minds are clearly free, I would prefer to go alone."                  -Dr. Gideon Lincecum

The BPRD rejected my application becuase their brain-controled by Cthulhu Rip-offs. And im sure "Sparky" is sleeping with them too, kinky little firecracker she is...

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/07/2005 14:49:21 »
I always thought this had something to do with magnetism.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/07/2005 18:03:39 »
Thanks for your answers peeps. I confirm there is no short in my shaver, as this has happenned over the years with a variety of cordless shavers....it can effect it from as far away as 15-20 feet, getting noticeably stronger the closer you get. Hmmm....perhaps it IS a primeval demon......lets shope a passing shaver-causing-tv-interference expert passes by. I appreciate your contributions.

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2005 13:06:16 »
It is radio frequency interfererence, like you thought. It should only affect the picture, since that is amplitude modulated (AM). The sound is FM, so it is more interference-resistant.

The shaver contains a motor, which has magnetic coils, and a mechanical or electronic commutator which switches the current through the motor as it runs. AS the commutator switches-off the motor coil, the current decays in the coil with an RF oscillation at the coil's self-resonant frequency. It is a type of spark-gap transmitter (~1901) that emits a broadband damped sinusoidal oscillation. It can interfere with most AM RF devices.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2005 13:18:56 »
*sigh*...as always I am indebted with gratitude....thank you.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2005 13:18:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length