The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: WWII: Behind Closed Doors  (Read 2708 times)

MDriver1981

WWII: Behind Closed Doors
« on: 15/05/2009 06:14:26 »
One of the problems with history is that it is usually inconvenient.  This documentary, which was made by both PBS & the BBC is probably one of the best historic works out there.  I advise everyone to watch it.

BBC Website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fkx70
PBS Website - http://www.pbs.org/behindcloseddoors/

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15/05/2009 15:45:16 »
I saw it on the BBC some weeks ago. I agree, it was very good and learnt a lot from it.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2009 16:54:19 »
Don't get me wrong, we should never forget the horror of WWII and what fascism did to so many people (Germans included!). But I sometimes wonder if our continued obsession with this terrible period in history causes pain to today's Germany.

I wonder, how does Monika feel when she hears of the resurrection of WWII tales and memories? And Dentstudent, who lives in Germany now? His friends & neighbours are Germans.

Is it not time we laid this episode to rest and just remember the lessons?

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 15/05/2009 17:21:41 »
Every civilisation and society has committed atrocities at some time during their existance and my own country, Britain, can be credited with the invention of the Concentration Camp, along with being one of the prime proponents of the slave trade.  I feel strong regret that those things ever happened but I don't feel any personal guilt for it because it was nothing to do with me.  I expect that our German friends feel similar regret for what happened, but they, just like myself, are not and were not responsible for what happened.

In any case, remembering a lesson means remembering all of it; the real danger comes from denial and refusal to face up to all of the past.

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/05/2009 18:16:56 »
Don't get me wrong, we should never forget the horror of WWII and what fascism did to so many people (Germans included!). But I sometimes wonder if our continued obsession with this terrible period in history causes pain to today's Germany.

I wonder, how does Monika feel when she hears of the resurrection of WWII tales and memories? And Dentstudent, who lives in Germany now? His friends & neighbours are Germans.

Is it not time we laid this episode to rest and just remember the lessons?

I personally have a very detached view of this part of German history and I don't feel offended. Accurate reporting is fine by me, it helps making the lessons unforgettable.

What I can't stand are people who never lived through the horrors of WWII and still feel the need to harbour prejudices against another country. Take my Mom as an example: She came from a small village near Stettin, now Poland, and - as she used to say - was 'kicked out by the Pole'. It's very understandable that she never was  fond of polish people. On the other hand she never wanted to return and kick out the people living there now, because that would be unfair to them. Now if I would harbour the same feelings about Poles... that would be silly IMO, because I personally have never experienced anything bad from them. And after more than 60 years people have changed.

The horrors of WWII have one positive result, those 60+ years are the longest period, since way back when, without a war between European countries. I'm pretty much sure that nowadays the people of every country in Europe would tell their government to shove it should it contemplate to go to war with one of its neighbors.

MDriver1981

« Reply #5 on: 15/05/2009 19:33:49 »
The thing about that documentary is, is that it shows that Stalin was just as (or more) evil than Hitler.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/05/2009 21:13:36 »
It is hard to measure "evilness", but I know what you mean. It certainly pointed out the complete callousness of the man that surprised even Churchill.

MDriver1981

« Reply #7 on: 16/05/2009 05:24:21 »
A bit off topic but, the funny thing about Hitler is that... if a journalist in 1940 asked Hitler why he was destroying Europe, Hitler would reply "I am not destroying, I am rebuilding." 
« Last Edit: 16/05/2009 05:26:58 by MDriver1981 »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/05/2009 14:35:25 »
Well he would say that wouldn't he? There never have been people in the world, with sufficient intelligence to get into a powerful position, who actually want the world and all of humanity to be destroyed. They all become convinced that anything they are doing is for the ultimate good. Some dictators may be driven by personal advantage and don't care about anything else (though probably would not admit this, even to themselves), and these people become possessed by the need for personal survival above everything else.

It is interesting that I would rate Hitler as deluded but Stalin as self-interested, though they are both probably a mix of the two to some extent.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 16/05/2009 14:35:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length