The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: XP32 in Windows 7100  (Read 5218 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
XP32 in Windows 7100
« on: 16/05/2009 21:23:10 »
Although this runs after a fashion on my AMD64 machine it does not really seem worth while, it would probably run better if I had more memory but the change over is little quicker than swapping over to the other drive that has XP32 setup on it.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
XP32 in Windows 7100
« Reply #1 on: 22/05/2009 08:25:29 »
At first I could think of little use for this as most desktop machines have more than one drive and a swap of OS is quite simple but then in a business environment where you have to consider one drive laptops and licences etc it may well be quite useful.
I have been testing out various old software that runs fine on genuine XP32, I Had highhopes for WxToImg that is problematical on Win 7 especially the 64bit version but it will not see the sound card on my Elite7050 AMD machine although pre recorded pictures run OK.
Trying my luck I tried to run BITWARE (16bit) but it will not see the modem (although with genuine XP32 does).
I find one very annoying thing with win 7 when I record a sound file from tape or disk it is date stamped with the internal time and date, this would not be a big deal for most files but it screws up the map overlay on satellite pictures whereas with XP32 I can edit this date stamp.
I will report further when I have tried other software and would like to read other opinions. 
« Last Edit: 22/05/2009 09:32:12 by syhprum »

Offline vaunce

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Web Directory - Top Sites, Blogs - Vaunce.net
XP32 in Windows 7100
« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2009 15:35:26 »
good answer, thank you.

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
XP32 in Windows 7100
« Reply #3 on: 17/06/2009 09:08:19 »
Are you talking an internal date stamp from a. the software, b. the sattelite or c. a file date-stamp that you get from "properties" tab when auditing the OS file saving attributes?

n: How did automaton seem to go?

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
XP32 in Windows 7100
« Reply #4 on: 18/06/2009 07:53:06 »
The automation works fine as long as I do not set WxToImg to produce any images (which is OK as the computer is unattended and no one is there to view them).
A series of audio files are produced with the correct date stamp that can be later viewed.
I tried to get WxToImg running on a virtual XP32 within Windows 7229 but due to the idiosyncrasies of an AMD computer I could not get the sound input working, no big deal only for practice!

PS
WxToImg date stamps its audio files when it records them (from the internal Date/Time )and then this date is later used to position the internally generated map overlay.
With XP it is possible to edit this date on the audio file but not with Windows 7. 
« Last Edit: 18/06/2009 08:02:26 by syhprum »

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
XP32 in Windows 7100
« Reply #5 on: 18/06/2009 14:50:46 »
Have you tried editing the stamps using e.g.
Windows Media Player by loading it then simply pausing and using the tools to edit the file particulars?
Winamp
DivX
RealPlayer11
BS Player
GOM player

Multi media managers are another sticky beak on file attributes at a precision level...

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
XP32 in Windows 7100
« Reply #6 on: 18/06/2009 15:15:43 »
I have tried numerous ways but once WxToImg has stamped it it stays stamped, the only way is to record it on mini disk and play it back with the system clock mis set!
A rather clumsy and laborious method.
Easier to boot up XP.

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
XP32 in Windows 7100
« Reply #7 on: 21/06/2009 12:31:47 »
When i right-clicked on the file (you sent in Win XP) i found on the
properties tab a button at the bottom that said "UNBLOCK"

What its insistance is, is, ..."this file was recieved from another
computer do you want to unblock the file?"...
It had been downloaded.
03290819.wav

If it refuses change(date stamp) on another OS maybe the recieved
information is saying the kernel number and/or CPUID is not trustable
because it is not a match as being how it recognises the file with the security feature.

Press unblock on the properties tab if it's there in the other OS or computer and tell what occurred.

I took a look at the file in WxtoImg using "open audio file" and set the coordinates as London UK. an interesting fuzz of cloud with country lines drawn over it.

I used no kelpers, no timestamping.

?????
« Last Edit: 21/06/2009 12:36:16 by nicephotog »

The Naked Scientists Forum

XP32 in Windows 7100
« Reply #7 on: 21/06/2009 12:31:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums