The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what is the first sign of madness?  (Read 3982 times)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
what is the first sign of madness?
« on: 18/05/2009 21:19:51 »
No it is not Suggs coming up your path!

What things have happened to you that have made you think that you are going mad?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2009 23:02:17 »
Posting stupid trick question to TNS

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2009 23:38:00 »
Whilst out at the supermarket yesterday a voice from behind me in a nuns prayer chanting song sang "Where do they keep the hoover bags?"
I spun around to see two old ladies giggling like crazy. I thought I was going mad hearing heavenly voices asking for domestic goddess intervention. It seems I'd just bumped into some OAP pranksters!
To top this I went to Comet and whilst looking for a new toaster I heard a lady laughing demonically. It seems it was her natural laugh. Is it me or are there more loonies out and about?

Ethos

« Reply #3 on: 19/05/2009 01:58:09 »
I heard a lady laughing demonically. It seems it was her natural laugh. Is it me or are there more loonies out and about?
Just how would anyone determine that a particular laugh was demonic? And yes, there are plenty of those wacko's out there. Nevertheless, if I were in your shoes, I would not practice winding things up in my head like interpreting one's laugh as demonic. I see inventing such connections as a bit paranoid myself.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/05/2009 03:25:02 »
Usually a straw boater and a welcome to a house of fun.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 19/05/2009 09:07:30 »
It used to be the case that you would think people mad if they were walking around talking to themselves. These days it is not uncommon to see this, then you notice a flashing in their ear. Is it a short circuit in the brain or a bluetooth device?

But even if it is a bluetooth, are they actually mid-call, or are they just talking to themselves?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/05/2009 09:41:46 »
I thought this was the very, very old schoolboy joke:

"Do you know the first sign of madness is hairs on the palm of the hand"

and when they look at their hands...

"The second sign is looking for them"

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/05/2009 18:51:45 »
I heard a lady laughing demonically. It seems it was her natural laugh. Is it me or are there more loonies out and about?
Just how would anyone determine that a particular laugh was demonic? And yes, there are plenty of those wacko's out there. Nevertheless, if I were in your shoes, I would not practice winding things up in my head like interpreting one's laugh as demonic. I see inventing such connections as a bit paranoid myself.
I'm sorry but this laugh made me and my son burst out laughing ourselves. I've just played a Pantomime baddy and her laugh left mine in the shade. Think Dick Dastidly or the villans in Austin Powers.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/05/2009 18:53:54 »
It used to be the case that you would think people mad if they were walking around talking to themselves. These days it is not uncommon to see this, then you notice a flashing in their ear. Is it a short circuit in the brain or a bluetooth device?

But even if it is a bluetooth, are they actually mid-call, or are they just talking to themselves?
I talk to myself all the time. It comes of being on my own so much. You have to her the sound of a voice or you go mad so for me it is madness prevention. No, I don't mean putting a durex on woody.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 19/05/2009 18:53:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length