The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: magnetism  (Read 1613 times)

Offline wannabe

• View Profile
magnetism
« on: 18/05/2009 23:00:59 »
Recently, reading an article in The New Scientist, I was taken thru the variations associated with magnetism and some new ways of looking at the involved forces.
What prompted me to be arrested and launch this inquiry was that throughout the article the mention of the magnetism was ascribed to the force(s) associated with the movement/alignment of atoms.
Have I missed something in being of the classical understanding that it is of the electrons?

lyner

magnetism
« Reply #1 on: 19/05/2009 00:04:24 »
I don't think there is, in fact a conflict.
AFAIK, you are just quoting two explanations of the phenomenon involving different scales. The 'domain' theory of ferromagnetism talks in terms of atoms and groups of atoms. The magnetic dipoles associated with atoms can be attributed to electrons.

Offline wannabe

• View Profile
magnetism
« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2009 00:13:26 »
That being the case, I would then have to accept that the 'force' as manifested by a magnet can be ascribed to one of two entities: 1) electrons and their orbits and the axis alignment combining each of the available electron's forces to cause the observed magnetic force or 2) a force>>you describe as "atomic domain" doing the same thing?
How then do these atoms become oriented so as to combine their forces to result in the observed magnetic force?
thanks for addressing this.
b

The Naked Scientists Forum

magnetism
« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2009 00:13:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums