The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Sorting the hardware with the software  (Read 2765 times)

Offline FredL

• View Profile
Sorting the hardware with the software
« on: 20/05/2009 01:03:18 »
A few weeks ago, I spent a few quiet hours sorting the contents of a large container of used hardware (bolts, nuts, nails, washers, etc., etc.).  It occurred to me that I could start my own hardware store by recycling the contents of my garage.  It further occurred to me that worldwide recycling will not become a reality until software is written to enable a machine to reliably sort all sorts of items.  Once it is written, it will become cost effective to recycle all sorts of things.  Imagine an unmanned, solar powered, trash collecting boat that constantly plucks plastics from the oceans. How about a machine that sorts nuts and bolts by size and type and packages them for re-sale, supplying a whole new industry in the sale of used hardware and saving all the energy used in the recycling and manufacturing processes whereby they would have been melted down and re-created.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #1 on: 25/08/2009 10:26:16 »
Do you think this would actually constitute "useful" recycling? Surely the energy invested in collecting and sorting a handful of nuts and bolts from everyones' garages would far outweigh any benefits of recycling in the first place? I'm skeptical.

Chris

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/08/2009 13:23:09 »
Nuts and bolts don't really cost so much that you'd try to get second hand ones, but I suppose a robot that could identify rubbish as well as a human might be useful for sorting cardboards from the different types of plastic and metals etc.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/08/2009 07:18:17 »
Nuts and bolts deteriorate after under going a tightening/undoing cycle, you should always throw them away and use new ones for any critical application.
« Last Edit: 29/08/2009 05:40:45 by syhprum »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 27/08/2009 07:18:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums