The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does traffic clump together?  (Read 12867 times)

lyner

Why does traffic clump together?
« Reply #25 on: 01/06/2009 22:03:45 »
I think the problem that the dozy sods in the middle lane have is that they can't handle the hassle of planning and executing frequent overtaking of slow trucks on the inside lane.
They should be given a really hard time. Lots of hooting and fist waving. Perhaps they'd stay home then.

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01/06/2009 22:58:05 »
I once got overtaken by a hearse doing about 90 mph on the nearside lane...bloody undertakers!

I also think that laminar flow should be part of the driving test.

lyner

« Reply #27 on: 01/06/2009 23:36:54 »
I thought Laminar Flo was the name of the aircraft designer's girlfriend.

Offline Edster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02/06/2009 03:01:46 »
^ techmind

Lord Davies of Oldham: My Lords, overtaking on the inside is against the law. Significant stretches of our motorways are under surveillance. The driver of a vehicle who deliberately comes up behind another vehicle in a middle or outside lane and then swerves inside to overtake could easily be charged with careless driving.

Lord Elton: My Lords, will the noble Lord kindly write to me—he will not have the information at his fingertips—to say when it was made illegal to overtake on the inside? Many of us have been saying that it should be made illegal but were told that it would not be done.

Lord Davies of Oldham: My Lords, the actual manoeuvre of one vehicle going past another in the inside lane because there might be a slow-down in the outside lane, and the inside lane is continuing to move, is not illegal. Deliberately setting out to pass a vehicle by moving from one lane to another to go inside it and to go past leaves open the possibility that such a manoeuvre appears to be careless driving, and it could be subject to such a charge.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200 304/ldhansrd/vo040209/text/40209-03.htm

It is not recommended, but not illegal given certain pre conditions and applying some reason.

If that action results in a collision then you have no defence. as outlined.

The highway code is not the law, sections of it describe the requirements of the road traffic acts which ARE the law. Much of it is recommendation only,  but proven failure to comply may leave you open to prosecution or being judged against in a legal action following a collision, and its results. ( there is no such thing as an accident!)
« Last Edit: 02/06/2009 17:03:12 by Edster »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02/06/2009 06:42:57 »
Over here there is no set fast/slow lane so people (luckily there aren't very many of them :)) just drive everywhere.

Offline Yomi

• HERE IN AM TO TAKE AWAY THE NOBEL PRIZE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02/06/2009 07:06:35 »
nice way to intrude urself on to big accident......

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02/06/2009 07:13:54 »
Exactly right unfortunately.

Offline Yomi

• HERE IN AM TO TAKE AWAY THE NOBEL PRIZE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02/06/2009 07:16:36 »
Unfortunate only when there is no one nearby...... to save you ....... ??? ??? ???

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #33 on: 02/06/2009 14:39:14 »
Unfortunate only when there is no one nearby...... to save you ....... ??? ??? ???

There was someone nearby to save you, unfortunately, he was killed by a piece of flying debris.

Herman Melville

« Reply #34 on: 02/06/2009 15:03:24 »
I drive at the speed limit on cruise control.

Obviously I get passed a lot, but I notice that traffic goes by in clumps. Is there some theoretical reason (maybe someting involving entropy?) for this behavior? It is clearly unsafe to exced the speed limit by bunching up like that - even in fog.

Could there be a social/psychological explanation: that people tend to form into groups even without realizing it?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #35 on: 02/06/2009 15:09:35 »
Although there is a tendency for some drivers to form 'convoys', I think most of the ignorant gits among them want to get passed everything in sight so they can catch up with the next line of traffic and get passed them too!

Herman Melville

« Reply #36 on: 02/06/2009 15:43:02 »
Although there is a tendency for some drivers to form 'convoys', I think most of the ignorant gits among them want to get passed everything in sight so they can catch up with the next line of traffic and get passed them too!

Tribal aggression, macho posturing, general impatience, frustration with modern living, and indeed being a 'git' are all definite factors, I'm sure.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02/06/2009 19:31:17 »
I just get sick of staring at the same old boring car in front of me, and want to see something else for a change :p

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05/06/2009 17:16:19 »
middle lane hogs my great aunt lizzie!

The obvious criminals are unsafe passers and tail gaiters in that order.

I got a flat driving down from Sonora and spoke with the AAA mechanic who came and put on my spare - as I am disabled. He has seen 13 fatal wrecks on this road in the past 8 months. The last one had an infant in a car seat. None of therm were motorcycles.

This is a main road to/from Yosemite park, snd they try to pass 8 cars in a row. These people are bound to autodarwinate in some manner anyhow. It's a shame they take out oncoming traffic.

That's why I favor the dashboard cam and changing the laws to include a month in the stocks and/or public caning.

lyner

« Reply #39 on: 05/06/2009 18:34:48 »
That's why I favor the dashboard cam and changing the laws to include a month in the stocks and/or public caning.
Another of those liberal types!

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06/06/2009 06:30:35 »
I'm a retired RN in California and too well acquainted with what a reckless driver can do to a car full of innocent people. I think a month in the stocks is actually rather benign compared to my first instinct which is to leave them hanging by their thumbs from a roadside oak. Didn't they once leave people hanging at crossroads not that long ago?

Oh, alright only a week in the stocks for a first offender .. and library priviledges.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #40 on: 06/06/2009 06:30:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length