The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do magnets have healing properties?  (Read 6498 times)

William

Do magnets have healing properties?
« on: 22/05/2009 12:30:01 »
William asked the Naked Scientists:

I am interested in learning if their are legitimate independent research if magnets actually have any healing properties?

What do you think?

Offline fragglerock

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/07/2009 14:51:09 »
I am pretty sure that there is none and that they have no effect but they continue to be sold, for example in the 'injury' section of a popular bike and bits seller newbielink:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Injury/ [nonactive] you can find products from this outfit. newbielink:http://www.trionz.co.uk/ [nonactive] which says the following
Trion:Z products ... use minus-ion producing materials to counteract the Positive Ions we encounter in our daily lives. It is believed the human body absorbs Positive Ions from, UV Rays, electronic equipment, mobile phones, wifi zones and computers. Research shows that Positive Ions can be associated with lack of concentration, muscle and joint pain, headaches and nausea.

The real question is are there laws against spouting such nonsense?

Offline pmb00cs

• View Profile
    • My Website.
« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2009 21:32:08 »
The only information I have come across regarding a concrete effect that magnets have on the human body is the fact that oxygenated blood is slightly diamagnetic and deoxygenated blood is slightly magnetic. This does fly in the face of the arguments of the healing properties of magnets being due to their ability to attract blood to the site of an injury, as it would only repel oxygenated blood.

Although it does lend some minor weight to the idea that magnets can stimulate blood flow. Although I cannot think how it would do so constructively, particularly given how minor the magnetic effects are.

I know of no clinical trials on magnetic therapy that provide conclusive results.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2009 06:11:25 »
They talked about this in one of their podcasts and the answer was no.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/07/2009 19:16:13 »
Magnets can be used to heal the holes in the finances of cheats and conmen.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 30/07/2009 19:16:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums