The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did we land on the moon?  (Read 202926 times)

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #175 on: 30/07/2008 13:40:49 »
I'm amazed to see this discussion go to 7 pages. Both amusing and slightly sad really.

I came across a website by a guy, claiming to be an electronics engineer, who firmly believed that the advances in the semiconductor industry must have been the result of alien technology. Having worked in the industry for 36 years I have had the benefit of seeing each new advance as being an incremental development based on knowledge at the time. Impressive growth with huge funding, but no magic. I have met some of the key players in the business and none of them had antennae on their heads. I thought of writing to the guy but I decided it would be a waste of time. There is no convincing those who "believe", whatever the evidence may suggest.

lyner

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #176 on: 30/07/2008 23:41:21 »
We're like moths around a flame of bizarreness.
You can have similar conversations with loonies you sit next to on a bus. And they probably think the same thing too.

Offline Cosmored

• View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #177 on: 31/07/2008 14:28:12 »
HOW would there, possibly, be zero gravity on the Moon's surface? The Moon would just fall apart if there were no gravity on its surface.
That footage of Collins jogging in place was supposedly taken when they were halfway to the moon.  The official story is that Collins never went to the surface.  He was supposedly orbiting the moon while Aldrin and Armstrong were exploring the surface.

lyner

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #178 on: 31/07/2008 15:15:28 »
Oh. I didn't get the significance of the name. In any case, if no one claimed that he went onto the Moon's surface then how is his experience relevant to conditions on the Moon?
Presumably you are prepared to acknowledge that they actually managed to get into Earth orbit, at least - so Collin's situation would have been virtually the same wherever he was. His jacket, or whatever, would have moved in the same way.
What bit of Science are you trying to use, in this context, to disprove what bit of the Moonshot? Give me a coherent argument.

Offline Cosmored

• View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #179 on: 01/08/2008 09:32:21 »
Oh. I didn't get the significance of the name. In any case, if no one claimed that he went onto the Moon's surface then how is his experience relevant to conditions on the Moon?
Presumably you are prepared to acknowledge that they actually managed to get into Earth orbit, at least - so Collin's situation would have been virtually the same wherever he was. His jacket, or whatever, would have moved in the same way.
What bit of Science are you trying to use, in this context, to disprove what bit of the Moonshot? Give me a coherent argument.
When that footage was taken, they were supposed to be halfway to the moon which would mean zero-gravity.  The jacket corner moving the way things move in gravity means they were faking those shots.  They might have been on a diving plane to simulate zero-gravity and the plane wasn't diving quite fast enough at that point.

lyner

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #180 on: 01/08/2008 11:04:18 »
OK
Firstly you are saying that none of the faking was actually done in space. Didn't people see them taking off? Wasn't the vehicle tracked at all? What would have been the point of simulating space conditions if they were quite capable of getting the crew up there? The project certainly wasn't short of money.
Secondly, you have no idea about the construction of the jacket so you can't predict  how it should have behaved. Depending upon the construction - Rigid, springy, floppy - it could have moved in any way. I repeat my question - which bit of Science PROVES your point?
« Last Edit: 01/08/2008 11:07:31 by sophiecentaur »

paul.fr

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #181 on: 01/08/2008 18:09:21 »
I don't know how to calculate oscillation. My evidence is the difference in body movements between the earlier missions and the later missions.

How can you base "evidence" on some moron with too much time on their hands, who has a webcam and a youtube account!

Offline Cosmored

• View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #182 on: 02/08/2008 17:16:08 »
Firstly you are saying that none of the faking was actually done in space.
I never said that.  Maybe some of it was faked in low earth orbit.  Who knows why?  That footage was obviously taken in gravity so that trumps your theory.  The truth about everything they did and how they did it will all come out later.

Secondly, you have no idea about the construction of the jacket so you can't predict  how it should have behaved. Depending upon the construction - Rigid, springy, floppy - it could have moved in any way. I repeat my question - which bit of Science PROVES your point?
All we have to do is watch it to see it's not stiff enough to carry the pressure from the top or the back to the corner.  It bends as it moves back and forth.  It's very loose fabric.

lyner

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #183 on: 04/08/2008 08:25:34 »
The truth about everything they did and how they did it will all come out later.
They'd better get a move on. Most of the people involved are nearly dead!

it's not stiff enough to carry the pressure from the top or the back to the corner
what sort of Engineer speak is that? What 'pressure'? This is basically a transverse wave you're discussing - doesn't it involve tension and torque?

lyner

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #184 on: 04/08/2008 22:59:33 »
I looked at the movie of the woman astronaut. Is someone actually basing the whole conspiracy theory on the way her clothes, on a mission at least thirty years later, are behaving on a naff bit of movie footage?
Perhaps she had a hamster jumping about in her pocket?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #185 on: 05/08/2008 07:07:52 »
" That footage was obviously taken in gravity so that trumps your theory."
 No, it's not obvious at all.

Offline TheHerbaholic

• View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #186 on: 05/08/2008 08:06:43 »
This is something I won't take sides on. The evidence for us not landing on the moon are:
The pictures where the light from the sun is shining on rocks but the shadows are going in two different directions, suggesting lights facing the astronauts but at different distances apart from eachother.
The flag waving on the moon, apparently there is no wind.
There would have been a blast crater under the pod that landed on the moon.

I get the drift most of the scientists or 'science fans' should I say, agree with the fact we went to the moon but does anybody know about a planned return to the moon?

lyner

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #187 on: 05/08/2008 11:51:42 »
This is something I won't take sides on.
Oh go on go on go on. Do it.
You risk being far too reasonable about a daft thread like this one.
 As for shadows and flags - there are plenty of explanations for those objections. Any good lighting engineer (and you could be sure that they would have employed the best) would have frigged the lighting properly if necessary. As the objectors have no knowledge of the construction of the flag, they can't predict how it 'should have' behaved.

Have a look at this:
http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1487237/scientists_plan_next_moonshot/index.html
« Last Edit: 05/08/2008 11:58:29 by sophiecentaur »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #188 on: 05/08/2008 12:40:40 »
O no! I don't know why I'm bothering. There is a laser reflector on the moon (actually there are now five I believe) which was left by the Apollo 11 mission in 1969. Further ones were placed by Apollo 14 and 15 missions and another two by some unmanned Russian craft (only one of these is operating though). These passive devices can be detected on earth by anyone with the right equipment and the first one was used to get a lot of information about the moon's orbit in the first 25 years since it was placed there. Use is not restricted to NASA. Are the conspiracy theorist now saying that the conspiracy is an international one involving loads of Universities in the world as well as government organisations?

lyner

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #189 on: 05/08/2008 14:02:30 »
I wish they'd stick to the Roswell Incident and Kennedy for their conspiracy fun.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #190 on: 05/08/2008 18:26:18 »
I think that before you write something like "This is something I won't take sides on. " you should look through all the posts in this thread. The "evidence" is simply missing or not actually true.

Shadows go in different directions if the ground's not flat.

Since we don't know what the flag was made of we don't know how it should react but, in low gravity and with no air resistance it wouldn't take much to set it swaying.

The blast crater may well be there but, unless you know in advance how thick the dust layer is you can't know what the crater would look like.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the 8 pages of stuff written about this crackpot theory (and I am taking sides here) these points have all been made. They are, of course, ignored by those who don't want to believe them.
The retroreflectors up there are a dead giveaway- there's no other possible explanation, someone must have put them there. The radio signals that came back must have come from the moon or the Russians would have had an absolute field day denouncing the US as liars.
Someone would have talked by now; given the timescale there would have been a few deathbed confessions.
The whole notion of the conspiracy is daft.

paul.fr

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #191 on: 05/08/2008 18:28:49 »
I wish they'd stick to the Roswell Incident and Kennedy for their conspiracy fun.

Ah, but Diana is the new Kennedy...

lyner

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #192 on: 06/08/2008 22:48:37 »
I saw the whole thing on my TV whilst sitting on a grassy knoll.

Offline Cosmored

• View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #193 on: 08/08/2008 16:57:17 »
it's not stiff enough to carry the pressure from the top or the back to the corner
what sort of Engineer speak is that? What 'pressure'? This is basically a transverse wave you're discussing - doesn't it involve tension and torque?
I think what I mean is clear enough.  If I push a box with an aluminum can, the box will recieve the pressure from my body.  If I push a box with an extended piece of cloth, the cloth will fold and the box will not recieve any pressure from my body.  The fabric of Collins' jacket is obviously loose.  The looseness can be seen as he jogs in place.  I can't identify any force making the corner of his jacket come back down after it starts moving up due to his upward movement while jogging in place except for gravity.  The fabric doesn't do it.

O no! I don't know why I'm bothering. There is a laser reflector on the moon (actually there are now five I believe) which was left by the Apollo 11 mission in 1969. Further ones were placed by Apollo 14 and 15 missions and another two by some unmanned Russian craft (only one of these is operating though). These passive devices can be detected on earth by anyone with the right equipment and the first one was used to get a lot of information about the moon's orbit in the first 25 years since it was placed there. Use is not restricted to NASA. Are the conspiracy theorist now saying that the conspiracy is an international one involving loads of Universities in the world as well as government organisations
Unmanned craft can put laser reflectors on the moon.  If the surveyor probes were real, they had the technology to do that.

The radio signals that came back must have come from the moon or the Russians would have had an absolute field day denouncing the US
There are several plausible scenarios to explain this.  The American press might be lying.  There might have actually been an unmanned craft on the moon which was actually transmitting which would also have fooled the people at mission control.

Someone would have talked by now; given the timescale there would have been a few deathbed confessions.
What makes you think the press would report anything like that?  The press is controlled.  We're just led to believe it's independent.

http://apollohoax.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=othertheories&action=display&thread=1525

Someone post just one thing that he or she considers to be conclusive proof that they really went to the moon and we can talk about whether it's really proof.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #194 on: 08/08/2008 20:54:48 »
It seems to me that there is nothing you would consider as conclusive proof. You are prepared to believe the discredited opinions of a bunch of conspiracy theorists and loonies, and to also believe that numerous scientists, government organisations, university staff and the press, from very many countries over the world, are all lying. Not to mention the teams of people who actually worked on the missions at the time.

You can always fabricate obscure explanations so that whatever evidence you are presented with is insufficient for you to be convinced. On this basis you could still claim the earth was flat!

lyner

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #195 on: 09/08/2008 10:03:01 »
What makes you think the press would report anything like that?  The press is controlled.  We're just led to believe it's independent.
So how come you haven't had the heavies on YOUR doorstep stopping you from writing your nonsense?
As there are 'presses' and regimes of all colours, how come not a single reputable , foreign, agency hasn't spilled the beans?
Since the events, there have been dozens of maverick states which could have let any genuine cat out of the bag and it would have really suited them to. Wouldn't Ben Laden have loved to publish something? Why do you think he hasn't? You might consider that it is because there is nothing to publish!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #196 on: 09/08/2008 11:33:38 »
Believing the landings were faked is beyond ridiculous, and anyone stupid enough to believe it is either paranoid or delusional.

The beaver has spoken. Now stop this absurdity!

paul.fr

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #197 on: 09/08/2008 23:08:00 »
Believing the landings were faked is beyond ridiculous, and anyone stupid enough to believe it is either paranoid or delusional.

Agreed, is there a moderator around who would wish to lock this topic?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #198 on: 10/08/2008 11:06:03 »

Agreed, is there a moderator around who would wish to lock this topic?

Like buses - you can never find 1 when you want 1. You wait, 20 will turn up at once.

Offline Moron

• First timers
    • View Profile
Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #199 on: 10/08/2008 16:57:54 »
Cosmored, are we related?

The Naked Scientists Forum

Did we land on the moon?
« Reply #199 on: 10/08/2008 16:57:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums