• View Profile
Re: Love
« Reply #375 on: 05/08/2006 19:35:06 »

I know the feeling Karen.

Love you lots.

Helena   xxx

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #376 on: 06/08/2006 01:54:05 »
Okay, before I respond about what I have read...I will read other sections and come back to you...hmmm, Karen, sorry I am here love...your shoulder to lean on or cry on...haven't had a chance to get in my emails yet...but will...but your story is sad about your brother and glad you have pleasant memories of him...

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 06/08/2006 02:15:48 »
Going to eat chinese food, be back in a few!!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 06/08/2006 03:21:02 »
Are you back?  I am now...love...awwww, what a wonderful...?  I almost slipped here...Ooopss!!

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #379 on: 06/08/2006 03:47:54 »
Sorry to hear about that Karen. PCP is so destructive I'm glad we don't see much of it in the UK, well I don't see it anyway. I hope he is ok.

I am jealous that you are getting chinese food though :-(.

Steven

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 06/08/2006 04:34:01 »
Me too...I am very jealous...I will have an order of moo goo gai pan...for my hamburger ick!

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: 06/08/2006 05:17:37 »
I want Kung Po Chicken and Egg Fried Rice :-(

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: 06/08/2006 05:19:43 »
Dinner was so good!! I did really well. I did not over eat!  YAAAY!!  I feel good.
 Steven, I would have shared if I could have! You would all be so welcome!! Maybe someday all of us friends can get together and visit!!!
 Loretta, You hungry! I meant to tellyou to put a splash of soy sauce on your Chicken avocado Stir fry after you have it over your bed of rice. It brings out the avocado and chicken flavor, It is so.......good! I have a sweet and sour pork recipe  that is marvelous also. Serve dover rice or chinese noodles, it is a preference thing. I am a rice girl, but love the noodles also!

Karen
« Last Edit: 06/08/2006 05:24:56 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 06/08/2006 05:26:20 »
MMMMMMMMM! egg fried rice. I hardly ever get that, but Oh how I love it!!!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 06/08/2006 05:46:34 »
mmmmm, Karen, it sounds so good, I can't wait to try it...love rice...I could eat it everyday...but then wearing it does not look good on my hips...lol  Steven, I love Egg Fried Rice...I had a greasy hamburger as I didn't have a lunch today...ick...with fries!  I did not do well today

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 06/08/2006 06:58:29 »
Yep,  you have to watch out for the rice! But is sure is good!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: 06/08/2006 07:22:25 »
mmmmm, mmmmm, good...recognize that lingo?

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: 06/08/2006 08:29:59 »
I have never ever tried avocado. What does it taste like?

Steven

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 06/08/2006 08:41:51 »
oh, my Steven!  Guacamole...delicious darling!  Advocado slices on salad..mmmmm, very tasty...hard to describe the taste...it is not tangy, it is not salty, it is kind of bland, but it is good!!!

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 06/08/2006 08:52:43 »
A bit like a Piece of heaven, soft and tender mild and oh so good! I love avocados! My Favorite breakfast is  a bagel, with Italin herbs, cream cheese, tomato's bacon and avocado slices!!!!! UMMMMMM! so good!!! Make a Bagel BLT with avacodo! Cream cheese on both pieces of Bagel!! I'm sure its fattening, Bagels are killer, but if you don't over do it should be ok! You must try one. Slice it with a paring knife all the way around the seed. then slightly twist it and pull it apart. Then set your knife blade onto the seed and rock it slightly appling pressure to seed, juet enought to inset blade, then carefully turn blade with seed attached to remove seed. Then make lenghtwise slices and peel individual peelings from back of avocado. If you don't use it, keep the seed in it and this helps keep it from turning brown.store in fridge with seed in it, you can also salt it to keep it from turning brown, lemon juice also. Enjoy!!

I had better go to bed. you all be good on here and I will see you ina couple hours!  Love you guys ......

Karen

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 06/08/2006 08:54:35 »
Ok Karen,

I might buy an avocado today just to taste it.

Goodnight.

Steven

Offline Grecian

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 06/08/2006 08:54:50 »

Morning peeps.

..........and a creamy texture.

Steven pls tell me you've had some sleep last night.

Love you lots.

Helena  xxx

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 06/08/2006 09:09:41 »
Morning Helena, I am finishing up for the night, love to you all, Helena talk to you and Loretta and steven in a few hours!....

Karen

Offline Grecian

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 06/08/2006 09:12:58 »

O.K. Karen speak later.

Sweet dreams.

Love you lots

Helena  xxx

another_someone

« Reply #394 on: 14/08/2006 18:43:40 »
Going back to the original question one of my own personal theories is that love is a type of addiction, and as such, people who have an 'addictive personality' (i.e. have a greater propensity for becoming addicted to alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs), are also more like to fall in love.

Any takers for this?

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 15/08/2006 15:56:21 »
It certainly could have some bearing, although I know many people who have fallen in love and really don't have  addictive personalities. Although I believe we are all like that to an extent! Some more pronounced then others. I do believe that love is so natural. For most people it starts out with that close bond established by a primary caregiver. We all need that love. For some of it it needs to be intense and crazy, wild and romantic, for others it needs to be softer and more reserved and tame, but for whatever reason weather its self love or the love of a lover or friend, It is an entegral part of who we are, no matter how, who,or why we love, we just need love Thats all, just love!

Karen
« Last Edit: 15/08/2006 15:57:24 by Karen W. »

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: 15/08/2006 19:09:03 »
I know I don't have an addictive personality.

- off 2 get some coffee

- Steven

another_someone

« Reply #397 on: 15/08/2006 21:54:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.
although I know many people who have fallen in love and really don't have  addictive personalities.

By an 'addictive personality', I don't mean that they are necessarily addicted to something, but rather that if they are exposed to an addictive substance, they are more likely to become addicted to the substance than another person.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: 15/08/2006 22:42:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

Going back to the original question one of my own personal theories is that love is a type of addiction, and as such, people who have an 'addictive personality' (i.e. have a greater propensity for becoming addicted to alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs), are also more like to fall in love.

Any takers for this?

George

This is fascinating !...would you care to elaborate ?....Would you consider people who are vulnerable and gullible in the same group.

Personally I don't subscribe to it ...What I mean is,It's not your theory I don't subscribe to (I'm all ears) but that I am one of those people who have fallen in love very very easily on more than one occasion...but I consider myself in every other aspect someone with a low propensity to addiction.

tried smoking....found I could take it or leave it.....chose to leave it...

same with alcohol...not bothered !

Yes..shock horror have tried recreational drugs....no joy there (to try and help me sleep)

....perhaps I have just not found my addiction yet !....perhaps evertyone here is capable of becoming addicted to something !

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

another_someone

« Reply #399 on: 16/08/2006 00:41:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep
Would you consider people who are vulnerable and gullible in the same group.

Trying to work out what this means within the context of my hypothesis.

quote:

Personally I don't subscribe to it ...What I mean is,It's not your theory I don't subscribe to (I'm all ears) but that I am one of those people who have fallen in love very very easily on more than one occasion...but I consider myself in every other aspect someone with a low propensity to addiction.

tried smoking....found I could take it or leave it.....chose to leave it...

same with alcohol...not bothered !

Yes..shock horror have tried recreational drugs....no joy there (to try and help me sleep)

....perhaps I have just not found my addiction yet !....perhaps evertyone here is capable of becoming addicted to something !

I think the current tendency is to believe that some people have a stronger propensity for getting addicted to anything, and that this trait is not substance specific (although there may be other variables that might make the application of that addiction more likely to be triggered by a particular substance).

That you say you have fallen in love very easily on more than one occasion leaves to to ask, possibly somewhat indelicately, did you also fall out of love as easily?  That you could fall in love easily is one thing, but could you give up that love as easily as you could give up tobacco?

quote:

This is fascinating !...would you care to elaborate ?

OK, I'll go through the thought process that lead to this conclusion.

If one accepts the premise that there is such a thing as an addictive personality type, and that this is an inheritable trait (what I understand is that this is the current thinking on the matter), then why should this be so?

For an inheritable trait to survive, then it would imply that there are some situations in which that trait may be of benefit to the species.  Since, on the most obvious level, addictive personality types are at a disadvantage, so in what context might it be an advantage.

Clearly, it is possible to argue that even deleterious genetic traits will continue to survive within a species, but they will only survive at a very low level (we don't see a massive number of haemophiliacs being born, yet we do seem to see a large number of people with a propensity for addiction being born why so?).

Clearly, the human genome was not evolved to deal with concentrated opiates, or regular supplies of concentrated alcohol so it is clear that addiction to these substances is just an unfortunate modern manifestation of something that historically must have had some other purpose.
So the question is, what primitive (in the sense of being common throughout human history, from the earliest days) human behaviour might be similar to addiction, and yet may be beneficial to the species?

The answer that came to mind was love.  In its most obsessive form, love can show many of the manifestations of any addiction.  Ofcourse, love can come in both sexual and platonic forms, and I am still undecided the degree to which each of these fit the requirements.  Sexual love has the added benefit the sexual act releases endorphins, which can themselves lead to addiction (this is also a case that excessive exercise can cause the release of endorphins, and can also be addictive).

George

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #399 on: 16/08/2006 00:41:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length