The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I Have Declared Myself To Be The Best Poster on the Naked Science Forum  (Read 9727 times)

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
I was not offended personally. I do think though that language use IS AN ISSUE and wanted to point out that in my opinion, some words need to be used as is rather than watering them down and making them more endearing this way.

And it is precisely that kind of pedantic nit-picking that has lead to the paranoid society we live in today. It's the reason I cannot order a black coffee....the reason why Christmas trees have been banned in some big banks... the reason why people are sued for making comments that are taken out of context.

Ethos

And it is precisely that kind of pedantic nit-picking that has lead to the paranoid society we live in today.
Absolutely Variola...........It seems as if the whole lot has become utterly paranoid. This reminds me of something I heard many years ago:

If you continually think someone is out to get you, it will happen, even if only in your own mind.

................Ethos

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
Thought for the day: if people were polite and open there would be no need for political correctness.

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
And it is precisely that kind of pedantic nit-picking that has lead to the paranoid society we live in today. It's the reason I cannot order a black coffee....the reason why Christmas trees have been banned in some big banks... the reason why people are sued for making comments that are taken out of context.

Now you are comparing people who object to the word "black" in context with coffee with people who object to using the term "sexual harassment" with "flirting". You don't see it, do you? Coffee has nothing to do with racism, while sexual harassment is perceived by many as a type of flirting and those people think that if you don't welcome those sort of advances you are just up-tight.

I agree completely that avoiding the term "black coffee" is strange. I have not heard about this issue here and do not know if the use of this term has a history that connects it to racial discrimination. If it does not, use the term and ask what it has to do with racial discrimination if you get called on it.  If it does, oh well, it probably was not the "black" community who used it in a derogatory fashion. I doubt that you will hear any complaints about the term "white chocolate" in Europe or rural New England very soon.

Christmas trees may not be a religious symbol alone but they are a religious symbol and some people just don't celebrate this occasion or may want to display some religious symbols in public places that represent their own beliefs but cannot get permission. Either all get permission, or no one. In private you can celebrate Christmas as you wish. The issue is about public places and public messages. It is a result of other groups than Christians getting more power and influence in formerly mostly Christian societies. Is this really regrettable? Societies change when people from other cultures arrive in large numbers and/or gain power.

For obvious reasons those who have experienced hardship and discrimination would like to see discriminating or damaging language abolished. This is not pedantic nit-picking, this is trying to be sensitive and respectful when communicating with others.

This reminds me of something I heard many years ago:

If you continually think someone is out to get you, it will happen, even if only in your own mind.

................Ethos

Back to the lighter side:
"Just Because You're Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out to Get You!"

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
For obvious reasons those who have experienced hardship and discrimination would like to see discriminating or damaging language abolished. This is not pedantic nit-picking, this is trying to be sensitive and respectful when communicating with others.

You speak for all do you? Or, yet again is it a case of being morally offended by 2 words on someone else's behalf?
There is a time and a place for that sort of moral lecture, that comment of mine (and Ethos) was not it.

Now you are comparing people who object to the word "black" in context with coffee with people who object to using the term "sexual harassment" with "flirting". You don't see it, do you? Coffee has nothing to do with racism, while sexual harassment is perceived by many as a type of flirting and those people think that if you don't welcome those sort of advances you are just up-tight.

Yet again you are missing the point. You objected to the use of 2 words, and Ethos picking up on it. My use of those 2 words does not negate the seriousness of sexual harrassment, nor does it change the very fuzzy line between what is an isn't acceptable in terms of flirting, sexual comments and harrassment. Yet you perist in trying to make out that making an off the cuff comment in obvious jest somehow lessens the impact of sexual harrassment. Ethos is a an adult, I am an adult, we don't need lectures on what is an isn't ok to say on here.
You chose an ill-timed way to make an otherwise well-known and valid point.
« Last Edit: 02/06/2009 09:42:29 by Variola »

Ethos

"Just Because You're Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out to Get You!"
But ofcourse Karsten, they're all out to get you!
« Last Edit: 08/06/2009 00:18:40 by Ethos »

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
A work colleague, a rather feisty Brit, told me of an occassion when she had been working in a secratarial role in Houston. In the elevator one day a company vice-President entered in animated conversation on the subject of sexual harassment. He knew my colleague, so after a moment turned to her and asked "Judy, what do you think of sexual harassment?" She paused for a moment then said, "I'm all for it."

Did this response mean that she treated sexual harassment lightly? Not at all. She would have reacted strongly and promptly had she experienced it. She would have been vocal in condemning it if she saw others subjected to it.

So why did she say what she said? Frankly, I don't know, but what I did know of her suggests two reasons. Firstly, she saw it as too good an opportunity to miss to deliver some shock humour to someone near the top of the organisation.
Secondly, it was an indirect way of saying "There is genuine sexual harassment and then there are casual jokes between acquaintances. I can tell the difference and if someone else can't, maybe they should learn." Uncompromising? Perhaps. But them I wouldn't want to be caught in a compromising position by Variola. [:X]

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
"shock humour"

That must be it.

In the future I will pick the perfect moment to object to certain language. Just tell me when.  ;)

Offline Yomi

• HERE IN AM TO TAKE AWAY THE NOBEL PRIZE
    • View Profile
Ha ha

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums