The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Glass chopping boards..safe ?  (Read 3388 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Glass chopping boards..safe ?
« on: 10/07/2005 16:51:24 »
Hi,

I'm Neil !!..I just carved a nice roast beef that I cooked on a glass chopping board, prior to that, I chopped some spring onions, sliced some potatoes etc etc and well, I just used it as a run of the mill chopping board etc etc.

Everytime I slice and dice on the thing I get this neurosis that I'm also introducing glass dust into the food I'm preparing. I use a very sharp knife and it of course scrapes along the surface of the board. Can someone allay my fears so that I can quite happily chop and slice and dice away without manifesting a phobia that I'm preparing a dangerous meal !!..

I know...I know...it's a chopping board !!....it's supposed to be used like that...but I just need a 'glass chopping board' expert to tell me it's all ok !...or any expert !!..even if you're an expert on toe nail clippings !!

Thank you.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: Glass chopping boards..safe ?
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2005 00:41:19 »
I am not an expert but I would have thought that if the glass particles are fine enough then they are not going to do you much harm as even if they are still sharp they are not bg enough to get pushed far enough to break a cell membrane.

There is a classic party trick where someone eats a wine glass with no ill effects by grinding it down really small with their teeth so it is no longer dangerous

I would have thought that the bigger problem is the glass blunting you beautifully sharp knife...

Offline anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2005 03:06:19 »
Hard things tend to blunt softer things, you can see this by a transition of trying to scratch a series of wood, plastic, copper and steel with objects from within that series. The harder things tend to scratch the softer things and leave very little effect on the hard object. Glass is harder than steel, so your knife may be being blunted. You should use a soft chopping board, wood or plastic. If you have a really expensive knife, >30 pounds then the steel may be so hard it becomes brittle, in which case you may be chipping your knife.

If your chopping knife is serated, you are using a kitchen hacksaw, throw it away and buy a real chopping knife, keep it sharp on a whetstone not a steel. Really good knives you must sharpen on a whetstone as they are harder than steels, and so blunt the steels. It can be said that the cheapest knife which is kept fairly sharp on a whetstone is better than 99% of household knives, but to keep a really sharp edge you need harder steel.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2005 17:41:16 »
Sirs (Dave and Anthony) with the greatest respect I thank you for your learned answers. That's one neurosis I can kick to the kerb !

I also appreciate the guidance regarding knives.. I do in fact have a lovely wooden chopping board and will use this instead. I don't want to hurt my set of knives.

Thank you very much.

Offline anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/07/2005 07:41:49 »
Look on the side of your toothpaste for the ingredients, they frequently contain silica microparticles, sometimes titania. So you're eating inorganic microparticles daily, it must be safe right? ... Certainly best to spit, not swallow.
« Last Edit: 12/07/2005 07:42:17 by anthony »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/07/2005 12:17:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by anthony

Look on the side of your toothpaste for the ingredients, they frequently contain silica microparticles, sometimes titania. So you're eating inorganic microparticles daily, it must be safe right? ... Certainly best to spit, not swallow.

Thank You Anthony. Now that you mention the toothpaste too, I can see that all my fears have now dispersed. I suppose my inital concern was that I'd be creating tiny sharp shards of glass, but I can see now that's not the case.

Thank you

ps: presumably, toothpaste can be used as a household cleaner too eh ?..taps ?...jewellery ? toilet bowl ?....as a firm believer in empircal study I will use my wifeys toothbrush with toothpaste to clean certain items !!..I've just gotta pull the chain and then I'll get started and report the results !!:D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 12/07/2005 12:17:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums