The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: a circuit that produces overunity results.  (Read 99010 times)

Offline witsend

• View Profile
    • Magnetic field model that enables overunity of electric systems
a circuit that produces overunity results.
« Reply #200 on: 08/06/2009 21:52:05 »
And if I'm asking people to get involved - while it may be 'half fledged' it would be a shame to let it just die.  I haven't the interest or the abilities to progress it.  But surely there are others out there who could?  It's not a frivolous claim.  It's not difficult to disprove. And as Jerry pointed out - it's got impressive accreditors.

Offline witsend

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 08/06/2009 22:06:45 »
Sorry to post so many consecutive posts - but JerryGG38 - we do use V^2/r analysis.  We measure the voltage across the shunt.  I gave up on using that analysis on the load resistor as everyone immediately said it was wrong.  They couldn't argue wattage related to temperature.

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 08/06/2009 22:35:06 »
And if I'm asking people to get involved - while it may be 'half fledged' it would be a shame to let it just die.  I haven't the interest or the abilities to progress it.  But surely there are others out there who could?  It's not a frivolous claim.  It's not difficult to disprove. And as Jerry pointed out - it's got impressive accreditors.

My question on that is who is making money off this idea. Patent lawyers will patent anything as long as they make money on it. Who paid the various labs to sign off on this? Evidently a lot of this is going around. The question is why?

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 08/06/2009 22:39:57 »
Sorry to post so many consecutive posts - but JerryGG38 - we do use V^2/r analysis.  We measure the voltage across the shunt.  I gave up on using that analysis on the load resistor as everyone immediately said it was wrong.  They couldn't argue wattage related to temperature.

Where is this being done? Do you have a current probe so you can check the battery current and battery voltage simultaneously. Also get rid of the battery spikes. Put a large capacitor across the battery. Also put some high frequency capacitors across the capacitor. This will stabilize the battery voltage and it has nothing to do with energy. It will just keep the battery voltage as a perfect source.

Did any EE's help with the circuit? I suggest you study simple circuit equations.

I will study the circuit more. I am trying to understand where the mistake was made.

Offline witsend

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 08/06/2009 23:05:03 »
Jerrygg38 - I patented it and then allowed it to lapse - to ensure that no-one could get royalties, including me.  That means, apparently, that it's been put in the public domain and precludes anyone from patenting.  I did this deliberately because I thought that would encourage people to apply it.  But I think I shot myself in the foot because it actually just makes people sceptical.  But to your question - NO ONE is making money out of this.

The tests were exhaustive.  They were done over a 4 year period ending about 6 years ago.  Then I just gave up.  Can you believe it that academics wont even attend a demonstration?  But it nagged at me - the more so as energy is now such a critical issue.  And then, I love my physics and I couldn't entirely give that up - any more I'm sure than you could.

That's when I decided to try and publish.  I sort of thought reviewers would help me polish up the paper to make it acceptable.  But the IET wouldn't even forward the paper for review.  I thought that was the pits. 

So then my daughter in law found me this forum.  And - yet again - I'm going through the same process.  But anyone who wants can do anything they want with this technology.  It's available.  My contribution to the global energy crisis.  And with my love.  I have absolutely no interest in progressing this.  I'm only interested in the field model.

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 08/06/2009 23:20:43 »
Jerrygg38 - I patented it and then allowed it to lapse - to ensure that no-one could get royalties, including me.  That means, apparently, that it's been put in the public domain and precludes anyone from patenting.  I did this deliberately because I thought that would encourage people to apply it.  But I think I shot myself in the foot because it actually just makes people sceptical.  But to your question - NO ONE is making money out of this.

The tests were exhaustive.  They were done over a 4 year period ending about 6 years ago.  Then I just gave up.  Can you believe it that academics wont even attend a demonstration?  But it nagged at me - the more so as energy is now such a critical issue.  And then, I love my physics and I couldn't entirely give that up - any more I'm sure than you could.

That's when I decided to try and publish.  I sort of thought reviewers would help me polish up the paper to make it acceptable.  But the IET wouldn't even forward the paper for review.  I thought that was the pits. 

So then my daughter in law found me this forum.  And - yet again - I'm going through the same process.  But anyone who wants can do anything they want with this technology.  It's available.  My contribution to the global energy crisis.  And with my love.  I have absolutely no interest in progressing this.  I'm only interested in the field model.

I did not mean to imply that you are making any money off it. I have patented several things on my own as well. Although I made interesting working models, I never could make any money off them. One I manufactured myself and many people bought it. However it cost more money to advertize it than to sell it. Then I turned into handyman business as part time money.
  I am going back into handyman tomorrow. My first ad will come out then. It gives me  a little extra money and I like to fix things. I am 70 but I don't understand what  it means physically. I am just a little less able than when I was 40.
  In any event I will continue to study your circuit. Can you still make any tests? Where is your circuit?
   Did you pay these labs to do the work? Did your lawyer ask for the additional payment? I am afraid that people are willing to mislead you for their financial benefit. Did a friend help you?
   Some of the people here are rough. I do not think any want to hurt you. Vern is especially a kind person. I pride myself being a good handyman and helping people who cannot afford a plumber or electrician. Sometimes I do the work for no pay. Other times as little as $5 per hour for a poor person. It is a hobby business.

Offline witsend

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 08/06/2009 23:38:47 »
The circuits in the garden shed - at the back of the house.  I only retested to check the numbers.  Donovan needed to confirm them before he put his name to the paper. I needed him to overview the presentation and submit to the IET.

Glad you keep your hand in with work. Was so amused at the comedy of errors with the posts this morning.  But, it's late.  And to the point.  Don't waste your time trying to find the error - unless you're up for it.  The truth is that the circuit is never going to be progressed until someone can understand the model.  If you can wrap your mind around that - then indeed - it will be a good thing.  The main reason I'm so bored with the circuit is that the actual potential of this field is just so much bigger than this little application.  I know you don't believe the results.  You're in good company.  Seeing it is, unfortunately, the only way to believing it.

Thanks for the interest and good luck with your work tomorrow.

EDIT Incidentally, the patent attorney was a retired friend.  He did the work for free.
« Last Edit: 08/06/2009 23:42:22 by witsend »

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 09/06/2009 02:28:38 »
            Circuit Analysis of Over Unity Circuit

It has been over 20 years since I worked part-time for the circuit analysis dept of Sperry Gyro. It was a very smart group who worked there. The boss was very smart as well.

So now lets say the Government came up with this circuit and asked for an analysis. Preliminary results by Government technicians indicated a possibility of over unity results.

Let us look at the report. First one asks why a current probe was not used.

1. Using a series resistor to measure the current flow from the battery may be okay for a simple DC circuit. However for a transient circuit it is no good.
2. The wire leading from the Rshunt resistor in Figure 1 will have inductance. How long was that wire. For a transient impulse it will cause error terms.

The report specifies on page 6 that the current delivered by the battery would be the product of the instantaneous voltage measured across the shunt divided by the resistance of the shunt measured above zero.
3. Why above zero. The wire leading to the battery causes errors.

Furthermore it states that any current delivered back to the battery would be determined from the instantaneous voltage across the shunt divided by the shunts resistance measured below zero.

4. This statement makes no sense. It will never get below zero unless the wire leading to the battery has high inductance. Somehow the test setup is not producing very good results.

The report goes on to say that the actual current flow from the battery would be the difference between these two values.

5. How horrible to subtract current flows which for this circuit is always flowing from the plus terminal of the battery to the negative terminal.

Note: A current probe would have eliminated that problem.

Let us now understand the circuit.

When the mosfet tries to open up the current flowing through the inductive resistor RL causes a positive voltage to be generated opposite the battery voltage. The electrical laws say that a current through an inductor tries to maintain its flow. The magnetic field starts to collapse and the current continues to flow. The mosfet tries to open up. There are very fast mosfet and much slower mosfets.

The slow ones will take time to open up. The zener diode Q1 protects the mosfet. It will prevent excessive voltage spiking which will destroy the mosfet.

For our Sperry mosfet circuits we needed speed and near infinite resistance very fast in order to sample a voltage source. Years ago when they first came out they were slow.

So for awhile the mosfet keep closed and the spiking current flows through the circuit and back into the negative side of the battery. Therefore the battery is still delivering current while the mosfet is attempting to open up. Even after it opens up the current still flows through Q1 until the zener voltage is reduced. Even after it is reduced, there is a speed involved.

Now we look at diode D1. Diode D1 must be as fast as possible to prevent harm to the mosfet. Many diodes are slow. At Sperry we used the fastest military grade diodes. Some diodes are very slow and therefore when the mosfet tries to open up the diode is still closed.

There is nothing instantaneous about diodes. The net result is that the battery keeps current flow during the spiking period. In general the spike current can be huge compared to the regular DC current flow.

There are smaller effects as well. The sharp pulse from the battery current will radiate electrical energy.
The coil will radiate as well. Thus we have a transmitter. The error from this will be small but it will contribute to the battery energy loss.

It is very difficult to determine how much energy came from the battery. The heat measurements are not very good. A good current probe would help.

An alternative would be to take a very good capacitor and charge it up to 12 volts. Then run the circuit and see how long it takes for the capacitor to discharge. Maybe for only a few milliseconds.

Then we can take a regular resistor and see how long it takes to discharge. The results will be that this circuit gains no energy.

This is a standard simple circuit. If anything strange ever occurred in all the applications, it would have destroyed the use of the mosfet as an analog to digital sampling device. We needed mosfet, which opened up to millions of ohms. And when they closed we needed close to zero impedance. Any strange variation of this circuit or circuits like it would have been sent to circuit analysis.

In a similar vein we had a problem where the resistance of a circuit like this had to be about 10 million ohms when open and it was coming out of spec at around 1 million ohms. Suddenly one of our great missile systems was in trouble. I was asked to solve the problem.

I studied it for awhile and then told the boss, the problem is that the assemblers are touching the cordwood amplifiers. (These were individual resistors and fets, etc).  The tiny amount of salt in their hands was destroying the amplifiers.
  The solution was that the amplifiers were dipped in alcohol before being encased in their protective coating. End of problem.

You can imagine how crazy things would have been if they produced over unity results.

Sorry to have to destroy this great effort. I do not understand how people with knowledge could have permitted this to be patented.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #208 on: 09/06/2009 02:49:07 »
jerrygg38; if you read the patent you will see that it did not mention anything about over-unity. It was simply a design patent. There was no new or useful product claimed. So, it is an interesting thing; maybe fun to play with, but we all knew from the beginning that there was no possible way to generate any useful benefit from it. Still, I do not want to discourage thinking into alternative areas of science. I know that the breakthrough out of our current doldrums will come from such thinking. And, who knows, it may come from someone illiterate to the established norms. That is one of the reasons I have such a keen interest in alternative notions about the nature of the natural laws.

lyner

« Reply #209 on: 09/06/2009 10:24:34 »
I don't think that the patent issue is at all relevant. To have a patent granted, all you need to do is produce some appropriate legal words which define an invention in a way which would identify an infringement and then pay someone some money. The granting of a patent doesn't depend upon exhaustive tests at the patent office.

Whether or not the patent mentions over-unity is not relevant. What jerrygg38 and I have objected to is the notion that overunity results have been claimed. I objected in principle and jerrygg38 has objected in detail to that claim. His objections need to be dealt with in detail. If the circuit doesn't exhibit over unity then it is totally irrelevant. witsend claims that it has gained some sort of approval from a number of  bodies. In fact, the only sort of approval that counts is if someone actually tries to reproduce the experiment - polite words are cheap. The easiest way to deal with such approaches is with polite, arms-length non-disagreement and some good wishes. This is all that the papers have actually produced. No one has tried to reproduce the experiment because there is no reason to.

I am all in favour of enthusiasm for real Science but there is a lot of time wasted on non-Science. Exponents of 'fringe' Science seem to get so upset when it's rejected by rational argument and when proper evidence is called for.

Vern, your romantic idea of new Science being discovered by a 'primitive' (in the artistic sense) is not supported by evidence in history. Monkeys and typewriters never get past the occasional intelligent looking word - never a whole sentencewrihfoennnnnf!

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #210 on: 09/06/2009 12:26:03 »
Quote from: sophiecentaur
Vern, your romantic idea of new Science being discovered by a 'primitive' (in the artistic sense) is not supported by evidence in history. Monkeys and typewriters never get past the occasional intelligent looking word - never a whole sentencewrihfoennnnnf!
And then there was this guy that insisted upon spending long hours making wheels when everyone knew it was much more simple just to drag a stick. :)

Quote from: Vern
And, who knows, it may come from someone illiterate to the established norms.
I did not mean to preclude literacy outside the established norms.
« Last Edit: 09/06/2009 12:43:50 by Vern »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 09/06/2009 13:19:45 »
If you look through the history of science it is difficult to say sometimes who came up with what or where did that originate from. People have always looked at ideas from the past and progressed them. Was it Galvani or Volta that invented the battery (cell?) Certainly Galvani made the discovery but his expertise did not allow him to reach the correct conclusion. Ideas from "primatives" will have been improved gradually to the understanding of the world we have now and our ideas will seem primative in the future. Basically, I'm with you Vern. 

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 09/06/2009 13:33:35 »
jerrygg38; if you read the patent you will see that it did not mention anything about over-unity. It was simply a design patent. There was no new or useful product claimed. So, it is an interesting thing; maybe fun to play with, but we all knew from the beginning that there was no possible way to generate any useful benefit from it. Still, I do not want to discourage thinking into alternative areas of science. I know that the breakthrough out of our current doldrums will come from such thinking. And, who knows, it may come from someone illiterate to the established norms. That is one of the reasons I have such a keen interest in alternative notions about the nature of the natural laws.

What I read was the Abstract which specifies
"Counter Electromotive force enables overunity results in electric systems."

As far as the patent is concerned that is questionable since the manufacturer of mosfets usually produces technical application designs. Since the circuit is basically a miniature relay switching circuit, it must have been built by many people  over 20 years ago.
   I built many similar circuits myself. Usually a resistor was connected to the battery then the mosfet and finally a capacitor. The resistors were made as non-inductive as possible. In this way we could
sample the voltage source and then convert the voltage across the capacitor to digital form.
   In any event, a design patent should be unique and there is nothing unique in this standard type circuit.
   The only thing that bothers me is that the people who processed this should have known better.
   I made two patents on my own and I should have known better. The were regular patents and they worked but they were worthless because they were not marketable. Live and learn!

lyner

« Reply #213 on: 09/06/2009 13:40:36 »
I have to agree with what you say, MiL. However, in the same way that it requires a good photographer to recognise whether a picture is worth taking and then to produce it at high quality, it requires someone who knows their stuff to knock a germ of a scientific idea into something worth passing on to the rest of the World. Conservatism (small c) is essential or Science would be dissipating itself up blind alleys all the time.

lyner

« Reply #214 on: 09/06/2009 13:47:12 »
j38
The best way to get involved with patents is to work for a large organisation which wants a serious financial stake in an invention. They will get the best advice and the patent will be well written. It will only be taken up by the organisation if they recognise its worth i.e if it has commercial worth.
In a decent firm you will get some recognition and your name on the patent.
Doing it on your own is a big risk but, of course, there are sometimes, huge rewards.

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 09/06/2009 14:04:19 »
j38
The best way to get involved with patents is to work for a large organisation which wants a serious financial stake in an invention. They will get the best advice and the patent will be well written. It will only be taken up by the organisation if they recognise its worth i.e if it has commercial worth.
In a decent firm you will get some recognition and your name on the patent.
Doing it on your own is a big risk but, of course, there are sometimes, huge rewards.

Working for Sperry there was a patent department. I worked on some. It was usually a team effort. However most of the things I designed for Sperry were never patented. Some were classified and not for public consumption. Many were not patented because in Defense work, the Government mostly pays for research and development and owns the patents.
Therefore we could come up with a great invention and the government could chose another contractor to build it. We were paid for research and development but they owned everything.
  Some work is confidential. Some work was Top Secret. I only had secret clearance. But one Boss had Top Secret. He would give me things to design and only a limited knowledge of certain information which I was not supposed to repeat anywhere. So the designs and discoveries had to be kept secret. My memory is not great so the secret codes and information faded from my mind after the project.
  As I mentioned before two patent attorneys in Washington DC patent office said:
   "Most of the Patents here are not worth the paper they are printed on". Each of my two private patents cost me $5000 each. I should have listened to the two lawyers.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #216 on: 09/06/2009 14:29:04 »
Quote from: sophiecentaur
Conservatism (small c) is essential or Science would be dissipating itself up blind alleys all the time.
I agree; I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Quote from: Make It Lady
Basically, I'm with you Vern.
Gosh; finally I wrote something that someone else can agree with. ;D

Quote from: jerrygg38
What I read was the Abstract which specifies
"Counter Electromotive force enables overunity results in electric systems."
I didn't see the over-unity mention in the abstract; I scanned over that and went straight to the claims. Your analysis was great!

« Last Edit: 09/06/2009 14:36:29 by Vern »

Offline witsend

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 09/06/2009 14:52:28 »
Hi Jerrygg38.  You've certainly been busy.  I'll try and plough through your points but not necessarity in the correct order.

To start with - The battery delivers energy during the ON period of each switching cycle.  It CANNOT deliver any current/energy call it what you like - during the OFF period.  That's not me.  That's known.  I have spoken about this with many academics - with many electrical engineers and with many electrical technicians.  Unless you know something that they do not know - then, again.  The fact is that the battery does not deliver during the off period of the switching device.

The question is this.  How much energy does it deliver during the ON period?  As I understand it, because it's an inductive load these numbers are subject to power factor correction to allow for phase shift.  So we ignored the amount of measured voltage - it created too many arguements and left too much to debate. Rather did we simply measure the rate of temperature rise.  I think you will agree that this is a fair measure of the actual wattage dissipated at the load. Our actual measure of the rate of temperature rise was crude - as referenced in the paper.  But if you allow 10% as a margin for error - then that's probably enough - especially as we run the controls concurrently.  But exceed this - make it 20% or 30%, anything  Over over unity measurement was 1600%.

When it came to measuring the energy delivered by the battery - we had similar problems. How can one reasonably ascertain the amount of energy delivered by the battery?  There were two ways.  We could measure the voltage across a carbon shunt.  Not too shabby because at least it's not inductive.  Or we could measure the rate at which the battery depleted its energy?  In fact we did both.  And we found that the rate that the battery discharged its energy was consistent with the measured rate of current flow from the battery determined by V^2/R analysis (edit) and as detailed in the paper.  BP called for the battery draw down rate as an additional 'proof' of the current flow.  Now, not all batteries are the same.  Some deplete more quickly than others.  Very few exactly match their rated capacities.  So.  For added proof we tested different sizes, different ampere hours and those tests took forever.  We literally had to run either the control or the experiment until one or other or both were flat. (edit) The benefit was measured and unequivocal and matched the analaysis of current flow. 

Then objectors found a new objection.  You cannot - under any test circumstances rely on battery discharge rates as proof of the claim.  So - when it came to designing the paper we left out battery draw down rates except as it applied to the test - to show that this was consistent with the previously measured current draw down rate.

To say that there are potential distortions due to inductance in the wiring - this is unarguable.  But all circuitry have wires - or most do.  Are all circuit measurements thereby discounted?  If they must somehow be factored in to discount that gain, then again, what's reasonable?  10%, 20% - anything you want.  The over unity measurment is HUGE.

To get back to the methods of this exercise.  It delivers energy during the ON period.  This results in a measurable increase of voltage across the resistor. But when the switch 'turns off', or when the battery is disconnected so that it can no longer deliver current, then this voltage across the resistor collapses. It changes its polarity from plus to zero.  Changing magnetic fields induce electric fields.  This cycle then, in turn, generates the next phase as a reverse voltage which is seen as a spike then then dips below zero. I have had many arguments against this test.  But you are the first person to propose that the battery is actually responsible for this negative voltage.  But I'm no expert Jerry.  I may be wrong.  I have asked a friend of mind to join this forum so that he can argue this point.  As I understand it, it may be argued that the battery was responsible for 'storing' that voltage in the first instance.  But I don't think it can be argued that the battery is delivering energy during this phase of the circuit's cycle.

Now the next question is what is the advantage of that 'spike'.  Does it, in fact, return energy to the battery?  Well there's a quick check.  Run the circuit from one battery and put the diode to the positive terminal of a second battery.  And then link the circuit battery and this second battery only with a common rail on the negative terminals.  Then you will see an immediate recharge to that second battery.  So.  One can conclude that this 'spike' is indeed returning energy to that battery to enable it to recharge. And, notwithstanding this 'recharge' the 'spike' voltage is still evident across the load resistor.  So.  Both the battery and the resistor are getting the benefit of that spike which came from those collapsing fields across the resistor itself.  The battery recharges and the load resistor dissipates more energy.

Now.  To the best of my knowledge, there is no current probe that is able to distinguish between these two cycles.  In other words, it measures the product of all the current on the circuit.  In other words it would take the ON cycle when the battery is discharging and the OFF cycle when the battery is recharging and would then correctly indicate that that is the is the amount of current.  It would not tell me which came from where?  That is why a current probe would be inappropriate.  But I'll say it again.  The rate at which the battery discharges its energy is consistent with the rate at which current is measured to be delivered by the battery as the difference between the voltage during both the on and off cycle.  

Now - to the accreditors.  I really do know that you know 'whereof you speak'.  I have gone to some lengths to stress this in previous posts.  But I would ask you to consider that those that have tested it are not entirely without training.  Surely you, of all people, appreciate the authority of those accreditors. And I only referenced those companies that are listed. edit ( I mean listed public companies).  There have been many, many engineers associated with this.  No-one who has replicated (there are at least 6) a test or attended a demo (there are at least 30) has been able to argue the results.  We have had some demonstrations lasting late into the night with no less than 11 engineers trying to crack the problem - find the fault.  But I think you would also appreciate their quandary. While accreditation goes some way to advancing the technology they cannot invest public funds into research that is not also sanctioned by academics.  As mentioned in the paper, oOne of the accreditors actually offered a bursay award to take the study further.  It was politely declined.  So it is left to me and my poor efforts to try and advance this.  That I'm an unlikely marketer is unfortuante.  But you must surely appreciate that I am not perpetrating a hoax.  I certainly am not making money on this.  But nor has it cost me any.  Just an awful lot of time.

But you must all draw whatever conclusions you want.  I was so hoping to convince you Jerry on the need to understand the circuit because you, of all people would be able to understand my field model.

EDIT - I can assure you that no-one who has been involved in these tests has been enriched.  No-one has any surruptitious motive.  I, and those that have added their name to the paper are simply anxious to get this exercise to an academic forum.  Meanwhile I realise that I must do what I can to try and, at least, convince any readers of this thread.
« Last Edit: 09/06/2009 17:41:28 by witsend »

Offline witsend

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 09/06/2009 16:20:10 »
And Jerrygg38 the whole patent exercise.  You've entirely missed my point.  I do not want to make money from any patent rights.  Mike is a highly qualified patent attorney - I'll go so far as to say he is one of 5 best in the country. If there are prior claims to the circuitry I dont think that there are any that apply a specific application as does ours.  And I don't think it's fair to 'cast aspersions' at the people who have tried to advance this.  That you do not agree with it is fair.  But that does not, by the same token, diminish the qualification and stature of those few that do. In fact I think it is considerably more responsible to 'try and find' the explanation than it is to dismiss it out of hand.  As I keep saying.  It's not a frivolous matter.

« Last Edit: 09/06/2009 17:45:34 by witsend »

lyner

« Reply #219 on: 09/06/2009 16:57:13 »
I keep taking further looks at the circuit and thinking about it.
Correct me if I am wrong g38, please.
When the Mosfet turns off, the emf induced in the RL inductance will appear across its terminals  will take the voltage on the Drain of the Mosfet  more positive than it was (Lenz's law says the sign of the emf is such as to maintain the current flow). The energy in the magnetic field of the load Inductance will then (less inefficiencies) be returned to the battery. I reckon this will be less than the energy which was dissipated in the load Resistance during the 0.02(?)ms of switch on time.

The energy dissipated in the resistor during each On period would be Power times time (assume 2A steady current)
E = I2R t
  = about 2X2X10X2^-5 = 8^-4J

Energy stored in the Inductor
E = I2L/2
  = 2X2X 8.64^-6/2 = 3.2^-5J

If you saved all the energy stored in the magnetic field of the inductor, you would only be getting back about 4% of the energy dissipated in the resistor each cycle.
As there is no information about even the order of magnitude of the frequency of the parasitic oscillations, I can't go any further than that, BUT, if the duty cycle is greater than the 3.7%, there would be more power dissipated, proportionally, in the resistor. The Q of any resonant circuit involving the wire wound resistor would be  low, so I can't even see a mechanism for producing significantly more current in the inductor than the 2A in my calculation.
Whatever measurements are claimed, I don't see how those figures can take you anywhere but where one would expect to be - doubting the measurements.

I suppose it would be ridiculous to suggest that the switching oscillator is providing some energy to the system. I wonder what value of source impedance it has.

I see that  your comments on the patents world have been misconstrued!

Offline witsend

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 09/06/2009 19:08:02 »
   Did you pay these labs to do the work? Did your lawyer ask for the additional payment? I am afraid that people are willing to mislead you for their financial benefit. Did a friend help you?
   Some of the people here are rough. I do not think any want to hurt you. Vern is especially a kind person.

Sophiecentaur - your comments regarding the misconstruction of JerryGG38's reference to patents.  I was specifically referencing this.  I don't think it's ambiguous.  He was clearly concerned that attorneys were co-operating on something they did not take seriously simply to enrich themselves at my expense.  He doesn't clarify who it is that he thinks is rough.

lyner

« Reply #221 on: 09/06/2009 22:13:48 »
His comments are quite correct. It is a business and they will take your money if they think there is the remotest chance of producing a valid patent. They're not interested in whether the invention can make you money - it's not their job. Are they likely to turn away good business?

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 09/06/2009 22:19:57 »
Hi Jerrygg38. You've certainly been busy. I'll try and plough through your points but not necessarity in the correct order.

W: To start with - The battery delivers energy during the ON period of each switching cycle. It CANNOT deliver any current/energy call it what you like - during the OFF period. That's not me. That's known. I have spoken about this with many academics - with many electrical engineers and with many electrical technicians. Unless you know something that they do not know - then, again. The fact is that the battery does not deliver during the off period of the switching device.

JG:

I am sorry but at Sperry we had 1500 engineers. 1400 of them were relegated to simple ordinary work. Glorified clerks. There were only about 100 top design engineers. I was one of them. BSEE (Summa Cum Laude).
  The Mosfet circuit has many complications. In our accurate circuits we had to be concerned with errors due to switch capacitance as the  driving switch toggled and put error tems into the load. This is small but when you must have errors less than 1 part in 1000, it becomes significant.

When you look at the mosfet switch specifications you will also find turn on times and turn off times. If you want to turn off fast you need something better than the 555. The 555 is great for home experiments. I no longer have my spec books but the 555 is not good for military accuracy.

The inductor will tend to change polarity and drive current right throught the mosfet as it is trying to turn off.. Some mosfets will do better. Most worse.

All the action is happening as the mosfet is trying to turn off. The current spike is large. It will drive the inductor current right through the battery. The inductor is also helped by the wiring from the battery to the circuit and the circuit back to the battery.

W: The question is this. How much energy does it deliver during the ON period? As I understand it, because it's an inductive load these numbers are subject to power factor correction to allow for phase shift. So we ignored the amount of measured voltage - it created too many arguements and left too much to debate. Rather did we simply measure the rate of temperature rise. I think you will agree that this is a fair measure of the actual wattage dissipated at the load. Our actual measure of the rate of temperature rise was crude - as referenced in the paper. But if you allow 10% as a margin for error - then that's probably enough - especially as we run the controls concurrently. But exceed this - make it 20% or 30%, anything Over over unity measurement was 1600%.

When it came to measuring the energy delivered by the battery - we had similar problems. How can one reasonably ascertain the amount of energy delivered by the battery? There were two ways. We could measure the voltage across a carbon shunt. Not too shabby because at least it's not inductive. Or we could measure the rate at which the battery depleted its energy? In fact we did both. And we found that the rate that the battery discharged its energy was consistent with the measured rate of current flow from the battery determined by V^2/R analysis (edit) and as detailed in the paper. BP called for the battery draw down rate as an additional 'proof' of the current flow. Now, not all batteries are the same. Some deplete more quickly than others. Very few exactly match their rated capacities. So. For added proof we tested different sizes, different ampere hours and those tests took forever. We literally had to run either the control or the experiment until one or other or both were flat. (edit) The benefit was measured and unequivocal and matched the analaysis of current flow.

JG: Unfortunately you did not place capacitors across the batteries. This would have stabilized the current spikes better. The experiment then became apples and oranges. On the one hand you had a transient circuit with large current spikes verses a simple resistor load.

There may be many possible explanations. It may be possible that the current spikes caused the battery to be able to discharge more energy than under ordinary conditions. The current spikes may have shook up the chemistry and caused more capacity to be produced. If you had put high frequency capacitors across the battery, this would have protected the battery from the current spikes. Therefore for a fair test you must deplete a battery using current spikes and deplete a battery using ordinary resistors.

The best solution would have been to charge up a large capacitor in parallel with several high frequency capacitors. Then let the circuit discharge it. At least that would be a fair test. The  test you used is not a fair test.

W: Then objectors found a new objection. You cannot - under any test circumstances rely on battery discharge rates as proof of the claim. So - when it came to designing the paper we left out battery draw down rates except as it applied to the test - to show that this was consistent with the previously measured current draw down rate.

JG: Due to the unknown effect of transient currents on a battery verses simple steady state currents, the battery draw down test is no good unless you protect it by capacitors.

W: To say that there are potential distortions due to inductance in the wiring - this is unarguable. But all circuitry have wires - or most do. Are all circuit measurements thereby discounted? If they must somehow be factored in to discount that gain, then again, what's reasonable? 10%, 20% - anything you want. The over unity measurment is HUGE.

JG: For our highly accurate measurement circuits wiring had to be taken into account. Often special shielded wiring was necessary. There is an art to proper wiring. In your case, it is most likely a small effect. However your over unity was not huge. It was non-existant.

W: To get back to the methods of this exercise. It delivers energy during the ON period. This results in a measurable increase of voltage across the resistor. But when the switch 'turns off', or when the battery is disconnected so that it can no longer deliver current, then this voltage across the resistor collapses. It changes its polarity from plus to zero.

JG: Firstly it does not turn off fast and current keeps flowing into the battery negative terminal and out the positive terminal. You say the voltage across the resistor goes to zero. Which resistor.? The lower resistor  has the current spike current flow in it until the mosfet slowly turns off. The resistor RL produces a voltage basically equal to the battery voltage but in the reverse direction. Thus at the start of the current spike the voltage at the mosfet, the junction of Q1 and D1 goes to twice the battery voltage for the current spike. The zener diode tries to clamp this voltage to prevent the mosfet from being destroyed. At the same time the diode D1 starts to turn on.
   We had to use very fast diodes. Hopefully your EE friends that a  positive voltage across diode D1 means nothing for a split second until the diode starts to work.

Where did you get the components to do your experiment? Radio shack diodes? Some of the military grade diodes could cost $100. Super fast diodes cost money.

W: Changing magnetic fields induce electric fields. This cycle then, in turn, generates the next phase as a reverse voltage which is seen as a spike then then dips below zero. I have had many arguments against this test. But you are the first person to propose that the battery is actually responsible for this negative voltage.

I will have to see the context of what I said. For a damped circuit, the spike across the lower shunt resistor should try to go twice the battery voltage but it will be clamped by the diodes and various capacitances within the mosfet. If the circuit is ringing, you could get some negative voltage across the lower resistor.

W: But I'm no expert Jerry. I may be wrong. I have asked a friend of mind to join this forum so that he can argue this point. As I understand it, it may be argued that the battery was responsible for 'storing' that voltage in the first instance. But I don't think it can be argued that the battery is delivering energy during this phase of the circuit's cycle.

JG: The spike energy must come through the battery.  The ringing or oscillation of the spike is a small error term.

W: Now the next question is what is the advantage of that 'spike'. Does it, in fact, return energy to the battery?

JG: The spike sucks up battery power. It reduces your efficiency from over unity to less than 100 percent.

W: Well there's a quick check. Run the circuit from one battery and put the diode to the positive terminal of a second battery. And then link the circuit battery and this second battery only with a common rail on the negative terminals. Then you will see an immediate recharge to that second battery. So. One can conclude that this 'spike' is indeed returning energy to that battery to enable it to recharge. And, notwithstanding this 'recharge' the 'spike' voltage is still evident across the load resistor. So. Both the battery and the resistor are getting the benefit of that spike which came from those collapsing fields across the resistor itself. The battery recharges and the load resistor dissipates more energy.

JG: The spike is the whole ball of wax. When the resistor/inductor RL reverses voltage, this discharges the battery more. However as I noted, it is unknown if spiking current causes batteries to have more power available.

W: Now. To the best of my knowledge, there is no current probe that is able to distinguish between these two cycles. In other words, it measures the product of all the current on the circuit. In other words it would take the ON cycle when the battery is discharging and the OFF cycle when the battery is recharging and would then correctly indicate that that is the is the amount of current. It would not tell me which came from where? That is why a current probe would be inappropriate. But I'll say it again. The rate at which the battery discharges its energy is consistent with the rate at which current is measured to be delivered by the battery as the difference between the voltage during both the on and off cycle.

JG: A good current probe will show a positive discharge current from the battery and from most of the current spike. It will also show when some negative current flows back into the battery. If you used a rechargeable battery, the negative current would recharge it. The ordinary carbon batteries may merely appear as a resistor to backward current flow. They might recharge very slightly but in most cases people are warned not to try to recharge them. The lead acid battery will accept discharging currents and charging currents. However current spikes may have complex chemical effects on these batteries. That is why you need some good high frequency capacitors across the batteries.

W: Now - to the accreditors. I really do know that you know 'whereof you speak'. I have gone to some lengths to stress this in previous posts. But I would ask you to consider that those that have tested it are not entirely without training. Surely you, of all people, appreciate the authority of those accreditors. And I only referenced those companies that are listed. edit ( I mean listed public companies). There have been many, many engineers associated with this. No-one who has replicated (there are at least 6) a test or attended a demo (there are at least 30) has been able to argue the results. We have had some demonstrations lasting late into the night with no less than 11 engineers trying to crack the problem - find the fault. But I think you would also appreciate their quandary. While accreditation goes some way to advancing the technology they cannot invest public funds into research that is not also sanctioned by academics. As mentioned in the paper, oOne of the accreditors actually offered a bursay award to take the study further. It was politely declined. So it is left to me and my poor efforts to try and advance this. That I'm an unlikely marketer is unfortuante. But you must surely appreciate that I am not perpetrating a hoax. I certainly am not making money on this. But nor has it cost me any. Just an awful lot of time.

JG: I believe you to be a very honest sincere person. I cannot understand how the people who have helped you could take a simple standard circuit which has been around in many different forms since world war 2 or before and turn it into a miracle.  If such a miracle occurred, the thousands of electrical engineers in the business would have spotted this amazing result.

It may be possible that you discovered that spiking currents through batteries produce more power than simple resistors. Perhaps if this is true, then the circuit can suck out more power from batteries. Therefore you can charge the battery and get more power between recharging. However you will have to add more energy during the recharge.
That is the only possibility I can see for getting more juice from the battery. The circuit is an energy expender not an energy producer.

W: But you must all draw whatever conclusions you want. I was so hoping to convince you Jerry on the need to understand the circuit because you, of all people would be able to understand my field model.

JG: The field model is a different issue. Your pictures of the higher light speed energy is quite lovely. Yet this circuit is merely a typical relay switching circuit that appears a billion times in different forms from the time of Mr. Bell.

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 09/06/2009 22:23:13 »
   Some of the people here are rough. I do not think any want to hurt you. Vern is especially a kind person.

Sophiecentaur - your comments regarding the misconstruction of JerryGG38's reference to patents.  I was specifically referencing this.  I don't think it's ambiguous.  He was clearly concerned that attorneys were co-operating on something they did not take seriously simply to enrich themselves at my expense.  He doesn't clarify who it is that he thinks is rough.

I am not referring to anyone in particular as being rough. In general many forums have harsh people. Some are just rough. It is like a doctor. Some have great bedside manners. Some are rough.
   I grew up in Brooklyn so I am used to rough people.

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 09/06/2009 22:26:09 »
His comments are quite correct. It is a business and they will take your money if they think there is the remotest chance of producing a valid patent. They're not interested in whether the invention can make you money - it's not their job. Are they likely to turn away good business?

Often the patent lawyers are born con men. They have a lot of sad and angry customers. Very few warn people that the chance of success for their patent is basically zero.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #224 on: 09/06/2009 22:26:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums