The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can we say there is Zero G force in space what about SUN's G ?  (Read 8514 times)

ScientificBoysClub

How can we say there is Zero G force in space what about Sun's G (I mean in our solar system or above Earth )?

Ok.. General theory of relativity says about bending of space and time. If I throw a rock into space where there is no G force even the small  rock should fall  towards the Sun(what about Sun's G force it should pull the Rock? ). Does rock stays at same position or it will fall to words the sun according to General theory of relativity (due to bending of space and time )?? 

ok... planets revolve around sun (Why planets Revolve around sun why not fall towards sun?)... But the rock doesn't revolve and it should fall towards the sun ... ?

We say that Suns G force is far Grater that earth and G force of suns range should be high  !!
Than why space shuttle and others don't fall towards the Sun ?

Than why on earth Zero G force ?
« Last Edit: 26/05/2009 15:32:50 by ScientificBoysClub »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The talk of zero g refers to an objetc in free fall- since it's already following gravity, gravity doesn't have an aparent effect. Of course since gravity has an infinite range there is always a gravitational field everywhere. But if you are far enough away from things the effect is small.

Also, re
"Why planets Revolve around sun why not fall towards sun?"
They do fall towards the sun, but they keep missing; that's why they stay in orbit.

ScientificBoysClub

The talk of zero g refers to an objetc in free fall- since it's already following gravity, gravity doesn't have an aparent effect. Of course since gravity has an infinite range there is always a gravitational field everywhere. But if you are far enough away from things the effect is small.

Also, re
They do fall towards the sun, but they keep missing; that's why they stay in orbit.

BTW do u know what I am talking about ?
It's General theory of Relativity !!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Until you learn something about gravity you would be well advised to refrain from sayig things like "BTW do u know what I am talking about ?"
or "And who told u that G force is ∞ range ? huh ?"

F= G M1 M2 /R^2
for exactly what value of R does G reach zero?
Anyone else able to solve that without setting R= infinity?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The space shuttle still has pretty much the same velocity as Earth, which is why it doesn't fall into the Sun. Well actually they are still falling but as BC said, they keep missing.

Imagine swinging a ball around in a circle with an elastic string, the elastic (gravity) is always trying to pull the ball (earth) to centre (sun) but the speed of the ball and the force of the elastic are at an equilibrium where the ball will maintain its distance from the centre. If you stop the ball it will be pulled inwards by the elastic, the same would happen to the Earth or the space shuttle if you somehow removed its velocity relative to the sun.
« Last Edit: 26/05/2009 18:56:59 by Madidus_Scientia »

ScientificBoysClub

Until you learn something about gravity you would be well advised to refrain from sayig things like "BTW do u know what I am talking about ?"
or "And who told u that G force is ∞ range ? huh ?"

F= G M1 M2 /R^2
for exactly what value of R does G reach zero?
Anyone else able to solve that without setting R= infinity?

Ok Man just chill out !!

I didn't meant you as ignorant  ok...

I just said it because you truly didn't understand My question and others too.
And you should not use math at 100% in physics like ( 1/0 is infinity no radius and no mass can u tell me a mass with Zero radius ?).
Gravity is always limited force. and I am not talking about Newtonian  Gravity. even a kid can tell that.. and Newtonian Gravity was proved to be wrong by Albert Einstein in his " General Theory Of Relativity "

which tells about

" Force is the consequence  of Geometry "........

" Gravity is Due to distortion of space because of mass "

But newton says about "Force at a distance between two objects".

Oh !! common dude I will never hurt ppl u know I just want the answers but u r posting answers like a Kid.
Ok .. man sorry if u felt bad.

Here I am talking about the  " General Theory Of Relativity " which is different from Newtons !!!!
« Last Edit: 27/05/2009 12:29:09 by ScientificBoysClub »

ScientificBoysClub

The space shuttle still has pretty much the same velocity as Earth, which is why it doesn't fall into the Sun. Well actually they are still falling but as BC said, they keep missing.

Imagine swinging a ball around in a circle with an elastic string, the elastic (gravity) is always trying to pull the ball (earth) to centre (sun) but the speed of the ball and the force of the elastic are at an equilibrium where the ball will maintain its distance from the centre. If you stop the ball it will be pulled inwards by the elastic, the same would happen to the Earth or the space shuttle if you somehow removed its velocity relative to the sun.

ok what will happen if it doesn't have same velocity as earth ??
why do we call zero G force ? what about suns G force ?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If you're trying to understand something it's generally not a good idea to insult the people trying to explain it to you. BC was not posting answers like a kid. We have answered your questions, perhaps you should re-read our posts more carefully.

If what doesn't? The space shuttle? Like I already said,
If you stop the ball it will be pulled inwards by the elastic, the same would happen to the Earth or the space shuttle if you somehow removed its velocity relative to the sun.

Bored Chemist already explained in his post;

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
I think it would be helpful if you made allowance for the fact that you are posting in what is your second or third language. Consequently your intent and meaning may not always come across clearly. Be more tolerant when people fail to understand you. (My opinion is that if someone fails to understand me it is 90% likely that I have failed to express myself clearly. Only in 10% of cases will it be the fault of the reader.)

You have made much of the fact that you are discussing Einstein's take on gravitation, not Newton. However, in terms of planetary and satellite speeds Newton's approximations work perfectly well. Certainly NASA don't make allowances for relativistic effects when they compute spacecraft trajectories.

why do we call zero G force ?
If we are scientists we don't. We more commonly refer to the conditions experienced in Earth orbit as microgravity. Bodies in free fall are effectively weightless and this is what is meant by zero-G. I think you can see that it is a misleading term.

And you should not use math at 100% in physics like ( 1/0 is infinity no radius and no mass can u tell me a mass with Zero radius ?).
You seem to have misunderstood Bored Chemist's post. He suggested that the only way you can make the force reach zero is by setting R to infinity, not to zero. Which part of this were you having difficulty with?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The force of gavity exerted on an object near earth is not zero, but it's small.
The eath's radius is about 6,000 Km and it's distance from the sun is about 150,000,000
The earth's mass is about 6 E 24 Kg and the suns is about 3 E 30

So mass is 0.5E6 times greater but the radius is 25000 times bigger so the gravitational pull from the sun is about 1200 times less than the pull of gravity at the earth's surface.

ScientificBoysClub

I think it would be helpful if you made allowance for the fact that you are posting in what is your second or third language. Consequently your intent and meaning may not always come across clearly. Be more tolerant when people fail to understand you. (My opinion is that if someone fails to understand me it is 90% likely that I have failed to express myself clearly. Only in 10% of cases will it be the fault of the reader.)

You have made much of the fact that you are discussing Einstein's take on gravitation, not Newton. However, in terms of planetary and satellite speeds Newton's approximations work perfectly well. Certainly NASA don't make allowances for relativistic effects when they compute spacecraft trajectories.

If we are scientists we don't. We more commonly refer to the conditions experienced in Earth orbit as microgravity. Bodies in free fall are effectively weightless and this is what is meant by zero-G. I think you can see that it is a misleading term.

You seem to have misunderstood Bored Chemist's post. He suggested that the only way you can make the force reach zero is by setting R to infinity, not to zero. Which part of this were you having difficulty with?

ok i mean sun pulls every thing if there is no planet nearby .

cos space and time distorted by sun ..!!

ScientificBoysClub

If you're trying to understand something it's generally not a good idea to insult the people trying to explain it to you. BC was not posting answers like a kid. We have answered your questions, perhaps you should re-read our posts more carefully.

If what doesn't? The space shuttle? Like I already said,
If you stop the ball it will be pulled inwards by the elastic, the same would happen to the Earth or the space shuttle if you somehow removed its velocity relative to the sun.

Bored Chemist already explained in his post;

"course since gravity has an infinite range there is always a gravitational field everywhere." as BC said .

How on earth G force is infinity ?
G is weak and long range force but not infinity !?!?

Can u show me the proof ?

ScientificBoysClub

The force of gavity exerted on an object near earth is not zero, but it's small.
The eath's radius is about 6,000 Km and it's distance from the sun is about 150,000,000
The earth's mass is about 6 E 24 Kg and the suns is about 3 E 30

So mass is 0.5E6 times greater but the radius is 25000 times bigger so the gravitational pull from the sun is about 1200 times less than the pull of gravity at the earth's surface.
Ok .. ok.. I understood what u mean !!
but still some things about Gravity is not correct .....
There should be accurate Theory for Gravity like it should explain both way in quantum level like gravitons. and How Gravity works or generated ?   

ScientificBoysClub

lol my second language is Hindi and Third is English !!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Just because you don't like the idea of gravity having an infinite range doesn't mean it's not true.
What else could happen? What would stop it at some finite range?

Also, if English isn't your first language then perhaps you should avoid "text speak".

ScientificBoysClub

Just because you don't like the idea of gravity having an infinite range doesn't mean it's not true.

Also, if English isn't your first language then perhaps you should avoid "text speak".
who told u that I don't like the Idea of gravity ? I just want it to be more detailed mixed with Quantum mechanics. so, that we can Unify String theory !!   

In fact when I was talking about Gravitons and space and time I thought u must have understood what I meant to say. I want gravitational theory to be unified with quantum mechanics. ( and I mean it )

I don't get it..!!  How can G Force range is Infinity ? it is well  known fact that it's limited range.

What the heck ? why should I give up speaking English or text speak .. Ok !! I might make some mistakes but I will always correct it . But I will never Give up !! hahahahha....

Why should I avoid ?? you avoid me if you r feeling that I am boring you with my " boring English speak text " perhaps u need to give up  answering to my questions ?? 

Well the present knowledge of Gravity is really worthy knowledge . I mean it but is still it's incomplete . It does not explain

How G force works ?
why G force is constant weak force ?
what is actually gravity ? ( we just know it pulls why ? )
we can't even unify this theory into string theory ? ( cos it doesn't satisfy with Quantum world only inside the Black hole it does !!)   

Why do u say I don't like it ? ( I love it . cos Physics Girl friend(and math too ) and I don't have any friends haha )
I just want to improve more understanding.
Understanding Nature is really cool !! ... and I am dedicated to it . .... and I will not stop or avoid any thing as u said .
« Last Edit: 28/05/2009 16:29:05 by ScientificBoysClub »

ScientificBoysClub

You r bored with chemistry and also with Physics too !! lol just kidding ..
« Last Edit: 28/05/2009 16:19:14 by ScientificBoysClub »

ScientificBoysClub

Do you mean to say that Suns G force is infinity ?
G force exist as long as mass exist...

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I don't get it..!!  How can G Force range is Infinity ? it is well  known fact that it's limited range.

It's not a well known fact, as it's not well known and it's not a fact.  Did you notice that Bored Chemist gave the equation earlier?

F= G M1 M2 /R^2

This means that there's an inverse square relationship, and unless you are an infinite distance apart, the attraction will always be greater than 0.

That is a well known fact.

ScientificBoysClub

It's not a well known fact, as it's not well known and it's not a fact.  Did you notice that Bored Chemist gave the equation earlier?

F= G M1 M2 /R^2

This means that there's an inverse square relationship, and unless you are an infinite distance apart, the attraction will always be greater than 0.

wait a second ..... Than General relativity says that distortion of space and time is limited !!
so, How do u support that ?

ScientificBoysClub

F= G M1 M2 /R^2

it must be theoretically very true but what about in reality ?
any example ?

ScientificBoysClub

F= G M1 M2 /R^2

i can see the inverse relation R^2
but we generally say that taking infinity is meaning less .....?? like we say 1/infinity is undefined ?

ScientificBoysClub

about

F= G M1 M2 /R^2

BenV

I admit it that I was wrong about limited range but i was telling you in terms of General theory of relativity .... it is limited .. am i wrong ?
Why on earth all answers r being posted in terms of Newtons Universal law of G ?

ScientificBoysClub

F= G M1 M2 /R^2

do you know the range of electromagnetic force is Infinity ? tooo why ?  Oh ! cos its light ......
ok light can be infinity range .
« Last Edit: 28/05/2009 17:00:58 by ScientificBoysClub »

ScientificBoysClub

Also, re

Ok BC I am sorry . it was my fault that My whole focus was on General theory of Relativity . which is bending of space and time is limited so I thought Gravity would be limited but It is limited according to this theory!!

thanks for teaching me whole thing which is new to me ... i.e,. G force range in infinity.

Ok.. I am taking all my words back. sorry and thanks !! But think about the theory above !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums