The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does laboratory scale differ from industrial scale opeartions?  (Read 14191 times)

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
hey guys please help me out and please explain me in much detail that why and how the industrial scale differ from laboratory scale? or at least give some source of information where ican find this information? please please please or i'll be in a big trouble [:-[]
« Last Edit: 28/05/2009 19:59:58 by chris »

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Laboratory scale is small, because you only need enough to do an experiment. Plus labarotories generally don't have the facilities to produce things in bulk.

Industrial scale is much larger, because you want considerable amounts of the product to sell.

Offline DrN

• View Profile
Oh, do you think Omid meant weight rather than size/capacity? I guess it can be taken both ways!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Haha, I had never thought about that, but now that you mention it, your answer might be what he was looking for. :)

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
i m nt he i m she (girl)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Apologies for my wrong assumption. [:I]

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
apology accepted

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Is that in the sense of "scale up" from a lab scale synthesis to one suitable for chemical production for industrial use? If so, lots of differences, importantly exothermic (heat producing reactions) may not be able to lose heat to the atmosphere as fast in larger volumes, in which case they might overheat resulting in thermal runaway (getting hotter, reaction going faster, getting even hotter etc..) and also achieving good mixing is harder, there are more likely to be areas of the reaction vessel where mixing of reagents doesn't happen evenly so giving poor yield and sometimes unwanted side products (fluid dynamics - very difficult). I'm not a process chemist, I don't know much about this, but there's a few ideas to think about.

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
can some one please explain the same topic in more detail. i'll be indebted to that person for my whole life please.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Maybe if you're in the mood you can trawl your way through this book: An Introduction to industrial chemistry  :)

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
thank you so very much
although your book did not answer my question but still i'll be indebted to you for my whole life since you've already helped me alot.
in future if i'll have any problem with my studies you'll be the first person i'll contact.
thanks again chemistry4me :)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Well umm... I don't know why you're thanking me if your question was not answered, but if it makes you happy... :)

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
One more question related to this topic
how can we objectivly comment on any public issue by a scientific organisation.
the organisation I've chosen is GSK which has a branch in NZ as well so can you please hlep me about "what are the issues that can be objected in GSK"
or can you please give me some source of information.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Sorry, I've never heard of the organisation.

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
the link you've send me shows how GSK objects somthing but what i am realy looking for is that how can we object GSK rules and regulations about health and safety.or how can we object any public concern issue whic might arise from the work of the organisation.

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
i hope i am not boring you by asking too many questions.
i know you'll be thinking that i am a very dull student but belive me if you had monster tutors like mine then you'll realise my situation.
so please don't be annoyed
thanks again for everything.
bye

Offline glovesforfoxes

• Matthew 6:21
    • View Profile
http://ussupplierdiversity.gsk.com/safetymanual/handbook.htm

found by a google search of "GSK health and safety rules and regulations", first result

OP, this would've taken you 2 seconds to do. You should strive to find your own answers before asking others ;)

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
i am sorry to say but your link does not answer my question.
i think you should improve your reading and research skills since my question is asking something opposite to your answer OK :P
and as far as my own answer is concerned so just leave that to C4ME since the question was for him not for you.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
i am sorry to say but your link does not answer my question.
i think you should improve your reading and research skills since my question is asking something opposite to your answer OK :P
and as far as my own answer is concerned so just leave that to C4ME since the question was for him not for you.
Do you think you could be a little more polite to people who are trying to help you?

Also, if people misunderstood your question it's either because they didn't read it correctly, or because you haven't asked it very clearly.  If this is the question you're referring to:

what i am realy looking for is that how can we object GSK rules and regulations about health and safety.or how can we object any public concern issue whic might arise from the work of the organisation.

Then I think in this case it's the latter.

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
do you really think shes trying to help me out
oh come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
i am sorry to say but she was just trying to put me down and was doubting my research skills.
i can easily say that there is no answer to my question on the internet that's why i jumped into the science forum and ask people to help me with there own knowledge since it can not be found on the internet.

Offline glovesforfoxes

• View Profile
I didn't read it correctly - I apologise. So, to clarify, you're looking for the ethical issues surrounding the companies work?

And yes, I really am just trying to help you out :) BenV is right though, if you want help, you should be nice when people try to give it to you, even if they can't read :-X

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
i apologise and woul like to take my words back
thank you for helping ma out may be i was not in good modd thats why.
anyways i am sorry if i hurt you

Offline glovesforfoxes

• View Profile
No problem - anyone can be in a bad mood. I'm male by the way for future reference :D

So is that what you are looking for? The ethical issues surrounding GSKs work?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums