The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does my skin hurt when I am ill??  (Read 72403 times)

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Why does my skin hurt when I am ill??
« on: 29/05/2009 09:31:50 »
Well...why does my skin hurt when I am ill? Or more precisely, my question is why does my skin hurt when I am ill, but men never seem to get it??!!

I have woken up poorly today, sniffy, tired, achey, headache and my skin hurts. It's just a virus I know that, but why does my skin hurt?? It's the skin at the top of my back, and my neck, it feels sore and sensitive to the touch. Now a couple of my female friends have confirmed that the same happens to them when they are ill,but every man I have mentioned it too looks at me with disbelief!! "How can your *skin* hurt!" they say. A brief survey of all my male friends has confirmed that none of them have had the skin hurting when when ill.
I am assuming that the skin hurting is an immunological effect, but why then do men seem not to get it??

Yours achingly,

The Pox
« Last Edit: 29/05/2009 09:35:37 by Variola »

Ethos

« Reply #1 on: 06/06/2009 20:46:09 »
Well...why does my skin hurt when I am ill?
I wish I had an answer for you my friend, but ofcourse, I'm a male so sore skin does not compute. Seriously though, have you tried a hot compress on those areas which are bothering you? It sounds to me like a circulatory problem but physical health is not my forte so don't put too much value in my opinion about this subject. Here's wishing you well my dear,.................Ethos

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/06/2009 02:11:53 »
I don't recall my skin hurting when ill.. and i don't have any answers.. just want to wish you well.

Herman Melville

« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2009 10:07:52 »
I am a man and get this, too. With a bad cold or flu my whole skin aches. Quite horrible. I think it's probably to do with overall skin sensitivity, rather than gender. I also get bad skin reactions to certain things (such as a rash from touching lawn grass). Do you, Variola?

Offline FortyArc

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Forty Arcminutes
« Reply #4 on: 12/06/2009 14:11:28 »
I remember a male comic writer (Dave Barry, maybe) writing about being sick and being able to feel every single air molecule bouncing off his body.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/06/2009 15:28:20 »
Well...why does my skin hurt when I am ill? Or more precisely, my question is why does my skin hurt when I am ill, but men never seem to get it??!!

I have woken up poorly today, sniffy, tired, achey, headache and my skin hurts. It's just a virus I know that, but why does my skin hurt?? It's the skin at the top of my back, and my neck, it feels sore and sensitive to the touch. Now a couple of my female friends have confirmed that the same happens to them when they are ill,but every man I have mentioned it too looks at me with disbelief!! "How can your *skin* hurt!" they say. A brief survey of all my male friends has confirmed that none of them have had the skin hurting when when ill.
I am assuming that the skin hurting is an immunological effect, but why then do men seem not to get it??

Yours achingly,

The Pox

How are ewe feeling now ?

Hope ewe are all better !!

Offline rhade

• Do what you will, but first be such as can will!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/06/2009 16:58:55 »
Let me point out that I am male.
Although I don't think this is what you are describing. it is possible for the skin to become infected. This is called cellulitis; an infection gets into the skin through a cut or scrape and the area becomes red, swollen, painful and hot to the touch. It is most common in the ankles, but can happen in other parts of the body.
I have had this several times. I've currently got it in my right ankle. I have a problem with both ankles anyway, the left one being the worst, and now the better one is infected. Sometimes you just can't win!
As for your problem, the best advice is to consult your doctor, both because they know more, and because they can examine the problem, which no one om this site can do. Wishing you well!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/06/2009 07:06:19 »

Yours achingly,

The Pox

My skin hurts when I am running a fever especially  the skin on my arms and my scalp!
It becomes very tender and ovr sensitive to touch!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 16/06/2009 07:06:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums