The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Moon Base?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Aurora

• First timers
    • View Profile
Moon Base?
« on: 01/06/2009 13:04:19 »
Wouldn't it be easier, cost efficient, and more friendly to the Earth environment if a moon base was built and used as a launch pad for all manned and unmanned space exploration and rocket launches since there is considerably less gravitation force and no atmosphere on the moon? 
If its true why don't we have a Moon base instead of all the excessive spending and fuel consumption on shuttle and rocket launches from Earth? And wouldn't it widen the range of our space reach? ???

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Moon Base?
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2009 14:31:44 »
The cost of setting up a moon base would be astronomical!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/06/2009 14:41:24 »
Plus you'd actually have to get all that equipment up there in the first place. However, there are "plans" to use the moon as a launch post for exactly the reasons stated. (I believe).

Offline Aurora

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/06/2009 15:33:27 »
Plus you'd actually have to get all that equipment up there in the first place. However, there are "plans" to use the moon as a launch post for exactly the reasons stated. (I believe).
Yes. I think the Bush administration has set a budget for NASA for this purpose and getting a manned mission to Mars eventually after the Moon. But it appears that the Obama Administration is gonna scrap all these plans in favor of budget cuts and bailing out fortune 500 companies.

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 01/06/2009 16:36:07 »
Low Earth Orbit is pretty good value for many launches, actually.
But if they found a lot of good raw materials on the Moon, things would be really different. They could use Solar Furnaces for all the refining processes (for half of each month).

Offline Aurora

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2009 18:46:24 »
Low Earth Orbit is pretty good value for many launches, actually.
But if they found a lot of good raw materials on the Moon, things would be really different. They could use Solar Furnaces for all the refining processes (for half of each month).
From what I have read there seems to be good amounts of Helium-3 (Which I believe is a very expensive element that maybe used in Nuclear Fusion) and the entire surface of the moon is covered with regolith that can be used as shields against radiation and as a building material.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2009 18:48:05 by Aurora »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/06/2009 19:33:14 »
The only good use that I can see for a vastly expensive moon base would be for a radio telescope on the far side or better still two as far apart as possible while still being shielded from the Earths radio noise. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 01/06/2009 19:33:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums