The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can a mobile phone signals be converted into electricity?  (Read 2539 times)

Offline shockwavemikey65

• View Profile
My question is a multiple part question. ??? I would like to know how to turn cellphone service signal into electricity to store in the battery of a cellular phone! or the rough idea. [xx(] I also would like to know if anyone has a process for turning something into electricity [?] [?] [?]

[MOD EDIT - please phrase post titles as questions. Thanks]
« Last Edit: 04/06/2009 22:56:36 by chris »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Can a mobile phone signals be converted into electricity?
« Reply #1 on: 02/06/2009 07:51:54 »
1st part of your question. If this could be done, we wouldn't need sockets, plugs and wires to our electric appliances.

2nd part. Yes, wind and water turbines, solar cells etc.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/06/2009 18:17:48 »
Any energy you could harness from converting the radio waves into electricity would be so insignificant it would be unusable.

Offline shockwavemikey65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/06/2009 00:18:34 »
Any energy you could harness from converting the radio waves into electricity would be so insignificant it would be unusable.
OK thank you you for your response. I would like to edit my question. If I were able to harness any insignificant energy would it be feasible to run it through a transformer and boost the energy to be usable? a Very small microtransformer or even nanotransformer?

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 03/06/2009 07:52:04 »
No sort of transformer you can think of will actually get you more Energy from less. The actual power level received by a cellphone is fractions of a microwatt - how is that going to be a significant contribution to the average drain of a cellphone which must be several milliwatts?

The only self powering radio receiver you can make is a crystal set. That involves a huge receiving wire and needs a powerful transmitter. The sound from the headphones is barely audible, too. The idea of a self powered transmitter is, obvious nonsense.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 03/06/2009 07:52:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums