The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Need help identifying tiny black bugs  (Read 4032 times)

Offline justaquickie

• First timers
    • View Profile
Need help identifying tiny black bugs
« on: 02/06/2009 21:02:55 »
Well I didn't expect to crawl out of the shadows quite like this, but I just woke up today with some of these nasty little bugs (or perhaps their sheddings? [xx(]) littered all over my bed. Having a bit of trouble uploading them all so I'll try and describe them to you. They're blackish brown all over, except for a tiny bit at the tip of their heads which look orange/yellow/red to me... But it's so small that I can't really tell. They also have (most of them anyway) a pair of antennae, though some look more worm or parasite-like while others look more sluglike. They look pretty parasitic to me *shudders* but maybe they're just shells of some harmless beetle or something? They were all dead or sleeping when I found them, because I was easily able to pinch them up with a tissue and duck tape as you can tell from my last picture. Any help identifying would be great!

Cheers

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02/06/2009 22:09:03 »
Sliverfish ? ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

(evidently they are not always silver)

BTW you could use a magnifying glass with your camera to obtain better images.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 03/06/2009 15:46:55 »
Which is the back of this insect? If those protrusions are at the back, I would say a very young earwig.

Offline justaquickie

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/06/2009 07:29:12 »
Oh, geez *shudder* I really hope they aren't earwigs. They didn't have any visible legs quite that long or pincers I could make out for that matter, and we've had an infestation of silverfish around the house for a while now, so I think that's it. Just didn't know they didn't turn silver until their third or so molt. Thanks both, and I'll try and capture some better quality images next time! Didn't have a very good magnifying glass lying around; the best I could do was one of those tools for fixing your eyeglasses!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 07/06/2009 07:29:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums