The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: 10 commandments? End world hunger?  (Read 14319 times)

Offline chimera

• View Profile
Re: 10 commandments? End world hunger?
« Reply #25 on: 05/08/2005 16:37:23 »
So I guess the answer's no to my question.

Simeonie, do you believe in the devil, too? As in Satan, Hell etc?

Personally, I don't, but that's because - to answer your previous question - I'm not someone most people would even remotely identify with  a Christian, I guess.

I'd still like to know if you, on the other hand, believe Evil has a 'personal' face too, in your beliefs.

Errare humanum esd.-- Biggus D.

[edit for new sig, sorry]
« Last Edit: 05/08/2005 16:39:04 by chimera »

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 07/08/2005 21:50:40 »
Good and Evil is just another great religious cover up. It helps people to sleep at night if they donít think there are any situations that make humans become cruel; or that given the right circumstance they too would act in a similar manner. And if they do you arenít to blame! Itís just some unseen negative force personified by the Devil making you do ďbadĒ things. It's ok if you do something morally dubious, it was just the devil it's all right now, and you can come back into the "light". Yeah great, how about you realise that human nature is far more all encompassing than that, and it should just be tolerated anyway. I can say hand on heart Iíve never stolen anything in my life intentionally because I have never had the need. But I can also say if I thought it was the only way to survive I wouldnít have any qualms about taking what I needed. I would however be selective about how and from whom I took what I needed, for instance I wouldnít take from a pregnant woman at gun point in the middle of winter. Although I would if that was the only person around to take from, but even then I would only take a share that I thought would be of relative fairness, which most likely would be to take nothing and perish. Since life is more fundamentally important, and a mother to be is slightly more full of life than a starving me :). Saying that when you get this desperate morals go out the window and emotional brain stuffs kicks in and all you care about is self preservation! Thatís only humanÖ might not be moral :).

Lol amendment I steel stuffs from the internets that never gets released in the UK or arenít for a long time. If I had ready access to the stuff I like then I would get/watch it in the UK. I also make token payments by buying stuff when I can. I have no moral problems with this :D but it is illegal. Although not really socially frowned upon which is interesting in itself. Guess im just plain evil for downloading stuffs. Hmmm I better watch out people might be tracking me thru the forum..!

Looking more at electronic stuff. I don't have any problem with moral hacking, where people break in to computer systems and inform people covertly that they have holes in their security. I do however have a problem with script kiddies (check wikipedia for this ;)) cracking in to someoneís computer and destroying data for no reason other than they can and they think it gives them a larger e-penis!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skript_kiddie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-penis
« Last Edit: 07/08/2005 22:30:21 by Ultima »

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08/08/2005 02:31:49 »
Wow, this is a weird chain, and I am at a loss where to begin.

1. Religion: sanction or unsanction is about our relationship with the creator and/or his creation including other "us": the others on this planet. This covers everything from Janism to Communisum, and any personal phylosophies in between. We are all trying to find the best way to cope with this life.

2. In any organization there are those who seek power over others. In my church we choose our leaders from among those who don't want the position, then we don't pay them, and after a few years we kick them out of the position. It keeps a lot of that power thing in check.

3. The Bible suggests that true religion is to help those less well off than we are. It involves some sacrifices.

4. Finally that "treat others as you would like to be treated" is a good start. There are always those who will take advantage of others, and those who will try to make claims on others to avoid working.

Africa is a mess. Sending money and food enriches those in power who salt it away in safe places in the US and Europe. The feel good way of making a donation often only enriches the middle men.

If you want to help, start with your family, your neighbors, or donate your time. There are orginizations like Doctors without Boarders, and self help missionary orginizations that teach agriculture, construction and other needed skills to these places.

But mostly the worst places need a government that is for the people, and is not there just to kill off one tribal faction or another: not just to enrich those in power.

And that will take some people dying to get the world's attention. Christians instinctively understand that. Volenteers?

David

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 09/08/2005 21:01:14 »
Good old minority ruling the majority gambit... they could just have a massive civil uprising and be done with it, call in the UN etc. Can be done.

wOw the world spins?

Offline Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09/08/2005 22:30:45 »
Im pretty sure World hunger and all other types of suffering would'nt exist,cos Africa would'nt be poor cos they would'nt have been put in slavery im the first place nobody would discriminate against the Jews,America,Britain and all other countries involved would'nt be screwing Iraq and raiding it's oil,infact, 9/11 would'nt have ever happend,or the 1st,2nd and every other war that's ever occured,life would be pretty f**king sweet!:):):):):)
Please excuse my language.

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."
-Batman costume warning label

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 10/08/2005 11:33:01 »
Good point razor. I think that if starting from now everyone followed the ten commandments and the beatitudes then it would end world hunger etc. because people would do everything they can to help those in need.

----------------------
Time is like a knife..... slowly and relentlesly.... cuts the cored of life.

-__- my website!!!!
http://www.simeonie.co.uk
has forums too!
Think about it! lolz

Offline Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10/08/2005 14:02:45 »
*sigh*.....but it will never happen,people are just too selfish![V][V]

"Please provide the date of your death."
-from an IRS letter

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10/08/2005 21:23:49 »
I know well I hope it does! But I doubt it :(

But we are only answering the question using a hyperthetical situation.

Oh and Ultima. Your first reply was slightly off target wasn't it. OThers think that it would work.

----------------------
Time is like a knife..... slowly and relentlesly.... cuts the cored of life.

-__- my website!!!!
has forums too!
Think about it! lolz

Offline weebrain

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11/08/2005 18:18:43 »
I see the 10 commandments as ore of a check list, than a moral code.

sir loony

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 04/09/2005 15:16:38 »
simeonie, it's good if it does, but I still don't have to like it :D.

Imagine if I wrote a book all about how I thought people should live there lives... then took lots of small impressionable children and indoctrinated them into my way of life, forcing my views on them. These children would then carry that on to their children and so on. Thatís how I see large organised religion and itís not a good thing. People should make there own choices in life and question everything. Taking another persons point of view as a guide to your own personal belief is great, and religion is really good at helping expose lots of moral problems and solutions. But taking away someoneís choice from birth is not!

wOw the world spins?
« Last Edit: 04/09/2005 15:27:32 by Ultima »

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04/09/2005 17:57:04 »
I think that such a world would have no starvation or poverty but it might otherwise be a pretty grim place to live.  No wickedness, no conflict, no envy or greed presumably means no goodness, no peacemakers, no ambition and no humanity!

Maybe that's the dilemma for all religions; their purpose is to combat evil, not defeat it! ;)

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05/09/2005 09:24:15 »
Ultima I have been a christian pretty much all my life (about 10 years lol)and I have had a choice all the way whether to try and do what is right and follow the 10 commandments etc. You have a choice and I think it would be a wise choice to follow them

----------------------
Check it out. Click on the forums

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 05/09/2005 14:16:50 »
quote:
I have been a christian pretty much all my life (about 10 years lol)and I have had a choice all the way whether to try and do what is right and follow the 10 commandments etc.

Thanks simeonie you just illustrated my point SO WELL! I wasn't talking about choice within Christianity! I was talking about the freedom to choose your own faith and belief system. If you hadn't noticed everything you believe in has come about fairly recently in history, people still had religion before Christianity or even Judaism! Indoctrination into a faith prevents people from freely exploring other peoples ideas and beliefs.

wOw the world spins?

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05/09/2005 15:23:16 »
And how do you know that people had religeon before Christianity?

----------------------
Check it out. Click on the forums

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05/09/2005 16:32:19 »
That is an interesting thought simeonie, Janeism, Zorestor, the earily greek and egyptian religions predate Christianity, but similar lines of thought can be found in them all. (And other lines of thought that have died out such as human sacrifice, though christianity solved that one uniquely).

Did God reveal divine principles to our ancestors that were corrupted into the other religions? Or did modern religions grow out of older religions taking with them the things that worked. As for the 10 commandments, sorry mistranslation. It is the Ten Words or Sayings of God.

David

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 05/09/2005 18:34:13 »
quote:
And how do you know that people had religeon before Christianity?

Because organised society and literature pre date Christianity by at least four thousand years! Thatís why! Plus the Old Testament is part of Judaism which has been around for much longer than Christianity. The Old Testament isnít exactly super iron clad either! Itís funny how the Egyptians and the Assyrians didnít write about the stories/characters found in the Old Testament until after they were already made popular???

Only a couple of minutes ago I read a great passage from the Tao Te Ching (The Book of the ďWayĒ and its Virtue) which predates the New Testament by around 1000 years, it backs me up quite well! :D Like the Ten Commandments the Tao Te Ching was written in stone (Not by God though ;))! This was after it had been around for over 500 years, the original was written on bamboo strips tied with silk. It was most likely written by a collaboration of Taoist hermits/sages using the pseudonym Lao Tzu (Old Man/Master) at a time in China where a lot of the ground work was set for future philosophies and religions: including Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism etc. Taoism in China came before Buddhism which originated from India/Nepal around the same time.

quote:

A quote from D. C. Lauís translation of the Tao Te Ching:

XXXVIII
The man of the highest virtue does not keep to virtue and that is why he has virtue. A man of the lowest virtue never strays from virtue and that is why he is without virtue. The former never acts yet leaves nothing undone. The latter acts but there are things left undone. A man of the highest benevolence acts, but from no ulterior motive. A man of the highest rectitude acts, but from ulterior motiveÖ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching

The more I look at Taoism the more I realise it reflects my own personal beliefs, they don't have a personal God instead a unquantifiable process running behind the scenes called the Tao or "Way". Some of the stuff about education is a bit odd though. But probably true. Like, if people were only educated to a level that was necessary for their personal life then they would be happier unaware of things external to them. I guess that's how Christianity works :P. Ignorance is bliss!;)

wOw the world spins?
« Last Edit: 05/09/2005 18:52:59 by Ultima »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #40 on: 05/09/2005 18:34:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length