The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why should previous melanoma prevent blood donation?  (Read 4928 times)

Diane Stuhr

Diane Stuhr asked the Naked Scientists:
   I found your podcast a week ago and I love it!  

I have a question:  

I had a malignant melanoma removed 26 years ago with no metastasis or complications.  

Virginia Blood services (private, nonprofit, corporation providing patient services in Virginia, USA) told me they don't ever want my blood.  

Why would they say that?  

Thanks, Diane
What do you think?

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why should previous melanoma prevent blood donation?
« Reply #1 on: 06/06/2009 23:27:31 »
Cancer is often a disease of damaged stem cells.

It's been found that even when cancer was 'completely cured' and symptomless that there were still cancerous stem cells in circulation.

So if you gave somebody a transfusion it's theoretically possible for the stem cells to survive in the new host and could then lead to cancer, although that would be rare, unless they're on immune suppressive drugs; which some people are.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/06/2009 02:04:55 »
Blood banks can afford to be fussy and careful with their donations. Here in Australia you are not allowed to donate if you have travelled to certain countries in the last five years.. or for many other reasons..

they can afford to be fussy because blood is not a limited resource (in non emergency times) and because it can be synthesised if needed to be.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 07/06/2009 02:04:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums