The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the earliest memory you can recall ?  (Read 37581 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the earliest memory you can recall ?
« Reply #25 on: 19/02/2006 01:25:21 »
I can remember the garden in a house I used to live in & seeing parachutists land in the park at the end of the garden as part of some display. We moved from that house when I was 2 & a half.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19/02/2006 20:10:38 »
I remember my Granny Fletcher using an old fashioned washing machine, the type you turned by hand, together with a mangle to squeeze the water out. She used to make us a Toasted Jam sandwich. I remember sitting on my Grandfathers lap, he looked like Captain Birdseye. Fran used to put hot gleeds out of the fire in our wellington boots to warm our feet when they were cold from the frost and snow.

I remeber promissing faithfully to clean out the rabbits that we were allowed to keep and then neglecting to keep them cleaned out and finding they had gone one day.
My Gran and Grandad Field were also amazing, Grandad use to keep pigeons and chickens and always had a dog, the one I remember was a little pink pig called Julie, she was not a pig but an english bull terrier that looked like one. And we used to sleep there when our mum and dad wanted to go out to somewhere special. But most of all I remember the wide open spaces of fields that stretched forever, now housing estates. Geeze, I sound more like my grans and grandads the older I get.

One day I was very young and woke up looking round to find someone had changed our room while I slept, a further look revealed I was in the wrong house and must have been totally drained when I fell on the settee and slept soundly. I was in a house just up the road, but it didn't matter in those days, as everyone in the street were our friends and no one locked their doors.

And then school started, which meant running the gauntlet of the school bullies each Monday who frequently gave us a good hiding and stole our dinner money, until we became tough enough to deal with them.

I remember also a kaolin poultice being slapped on my neck when I had the mumps, and screaming blue murder because it was so hot it burned the skin off my neck. And that was the first and last poultice they ever put on me. Life was hard for me an my brother in those days. We had beatings for getting beatings if you get my drift.

I must have been aged about two when I remember walking by the side of the pram with my brother in it. We used to walk miles, no car in those days til much later and we definately went to see gran and grandad field, which was about 3 miles from our house, so 6 miles round trip, obviously being carried part of the way.

And oddly enough, when I was a little older, we noticed some children playing in the house next door to my gran and grandad Field. A few years ago, I learned that one of those children turned out to be the girl I married and we had obviously met before without realsiing it.

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19/02/2006 20:52:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew K Fletcher

And oddly enough, when I was a little older, we noticed some children playing in the house next door to my gran and grandad Field. A few years ago, I learned that one of those children turned out to be the girl I married and we had obviously met before without realsiing it.

Spooky, eh!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19/02/2006 21:19:39 »
That is indeed spooky  Andrew !!

....many thanks to you all for your memories. Fascinating..and I appreciate your sharing these early experiences.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Son of Jupiter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19/02/2006 22:51:55 »
I can't remember too much from my early childhood, but I do remember at the age of three...ish, showing off for a neighbor. Picking up a large brick (large for a youngster anyway) pretending to be some sort of a super hero. Dropping the brick on my toe and cutting the tip off. My dad picked me (screaming like I just had my toe cut off) and the toe of discussion up and made his way to the hospital. Two dozen stitches and a chocolate bar or two later I was on my way to recovery, tip and' all.

Io

Offline Ray hinton

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/rayhinton56@btinternet.com/photopagetan.html
« Reply #30 on: 20/02/2006 02:04:03 »
quote:
How old were you Ray when you enjoyed your close encounter with the spanner ?

i was probably about 4, i still have the scars, inside and out.

RE-HAB IS FOR QUITTERS.

Offline annemarie thompson

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01/03/2006 09:08:15 »
i remember back to when i was two and a half ( validated by the fact it was my brothers sixth birthday) i had pinched one of his fruit polo's and started choking on it. This then resulted in my grandad having to pick me up turn me upside down and whack me in the back to dislodge it. I have never to this day eaten another polo of any description.

a thompson

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01/03/2006 11:53:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by annemarie thompson

i remember back to when i was two and a half ( validated by the fact it was my brothers sixth birthday) i had pinched one of his fruit polo's and started choking on it. This then resulted in my grandad having to pick me up turn me upside down and whack me in the back to dislodge it. I have never to this day eaten another polo of any description.
a thompson

Well those german VW POLOS are notoriously difficult to digest :D you really ought to start on something a little smoother on the stomach like a Mini with garlic sauce ;)..

Seriously though, thank you for your memory...it's quite clear to me now that it's very rare to recall back before the age of 2.

Annemarie...next time you go shopping why don't you buy a tube of polos and overcome this fear ?...you're missing out on fruit and mint hole orientated sweety joy and goodness !! :)...plus..if you can demonstrate to hubby that YOU can overcome by example then perhaps he'll try and do the same and visit your GP.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05/03/2006 20:03:34 »
i can remember being in my pram and seeing my brother climbing through the kicthen window. 18mt to 2yr aprox

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08/07/2006 17:51:29 »
BTT.....if any newbies would like to contribute here ..it would be appreciated...thanks

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11/09/2006 18:35:28 »
I am resurrecting this for purely selfish reasons...I love this thread and am genuinely interested in peoples earliest recollections. So, if you have not contributed here please do so..

Mirage ?...Iko ?..Roy P ?  etc etc...

(of course it's only a request...)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11/09/2006 19:28:57 »
I have many 'snippets' of memory from before the age of 5.  But 5 is my earliest vivid memory.  I was playing with Barbie Dolls at a neighbors home.  We were on her front porch and all of a sudden I felt a stinging in my back. I had been shot with a 22 caliber shot gun. I threw my hand back to see what it was and when I looked, it was covered in blood.  My friends mom came running to me, picked me up and ran towards my home. I said to her "My parents are going to have to put me to bed".  My parents saw her and came running towards us.  I remember all the neighbors surrounding me and my parents taking my clothes off.  I didn't feel any pain until I looked down and saw my white dress covered in blood.  My parents loaded me up in the car and headed for the hospital.  Our road had speed bumps in it and I remember feeling the blood ooze out of me evertime they hit one. I felt sticky and very cold. When we got to the hospital everyone was running and I kept saying, "if you pray for me God won't let me die".  I remember saying that to everyone I saw.  I remember seeing nurses crying and then running out of the operating room.  And then I 'went to sleep'.  I also remember while I was in the hospital, asking my dad for a bike.  I wanted a green 'big girl' bike.  A few hours later after waking from a nap, my dad picked me up and carried me to the window.  Down in the back of his truck was a green big girl bike.  I knew then that I had daddy wrapped around my little finger.

Carolyn

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11/09/2006 19:44:26 »
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carolyn....did they ever get the person who shot you ?......why did they do it ?

THANK (GOD) you are still here !!

I think I understand why you will never forget that !!...Who can shoot a 5 year old ?????

Mam.....THANK YOU THANK YOU for your amazing memory.

WE ALL LOVE YOU CAROLYN..

Oh My GAWWWWWWWWWWDDD !!!!!!

Carolyn is amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11/09/2006 20:03:04 »
Thank you Neil, you're so kind.  

Yes, they did find the person who shot me.  However, since the bullet was too close to my spine, it couldn't be removed, so they had no evidence.  It was a teenaged boy, who was out hunting with a friend and didn't realize there was a neighborhood just beyond the woods.  I forgave him a long time ago.  It actually turned out to be my 7th grade English teachers son.

Carolyn

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11/09/2006 20:26:56 »
Phew !!..So, it was an accident of the worst kind with the best possible outcome...ie: your life !!

So, you have the bullet inside you !...wow !!...surely all they needed was provide an X-RAy for evidence !!...but...as I am not a lawyer I presume it's not valid.

THANK YOU for this most profound memory Carolyn and my admiration to you for the power of your forgiveness.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
What's the earliest memory you can recall ?
« Reply #40 on: 20/03/2007 19:21:49 »
I am BTT (Bring To Top) this thread in the hope that new people joined since the last post will contribute also.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #41 on: 21/03/2007 19:43:26 »
I have many early childhood memories but the earliest I think was this.

I remember my mothers face and me being in a pram of the old fashioned type with a big hood and 4 big wheels. I was sat up in the pram, which was parked by the side of a fence and on the other side of the fence was a railway line. My mother was pointing to a steam train approaching.

I cant remember how old I was at the time and can only remember it in pictures and not with sound. Although it was a long time ago, maybe 1953, the pictures in my head are in colour and not black and white!  ;D

And now a sad but funny memory from about 3-4 years old.

We used to have a big garden and hedgehogs were frequent visitors. My mother always told me not to touch them as the were full of fleas so one day I discovered a hedgehog and decided to "deflea" it. I must have ignored what she said about touching it as the next thing I remember I had put it into a bucket full of disinfectant water! [:I]
My mother had left the bucket outside after moping the kitchen floor.

I'm not sure how long I had left the hedgehog in the bucket for but needless to say I didn't realise the poor thing could drown!
The now, very still hedgehog was put back and when I looked the following day it had gone.

I think it may have just held its breath..............cough!

TMM

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 22/03/2007 00:15:59 »
I have many early childhood memories but the earliest I think was this.

I remember my mothers face and me being in a pram of the old fashioned type with a big hood and 4 big wheels. I was sat up in the pram, which was parked by the side of a fence and on the other side of the fence was a railway line. My mother was pointing to a steam train approaching.

I cant remember how old I was at the time and can only remember it in pictures and not with sound. Although it was a long time ago, maybe 1953, the pictures in my head are in colour and not black and white!  ;D

And now a sad but funny memory from about 3-4 years old.

We used to have a big garden and hedgehogs were frequent visitors. My mother always told me not to touch them as the were full of fleas so one day I discovered a hedgehog and decided to "deflea" it. I must have ignored what she said about touching it as the next thing I remember I had put it into a bucket full of disinfectant water! [:I]
My mother had left the bucket outside after moping the kitchen floor.

I'm not sure how long I had left the hedgehog in the bucket for but needless to say I didn't realise the poor thing could drown!
The now, very still hedgehog was put back and when I looked the following day it had gone.

I think it may have just held its breath..............cough!

TMM

THANK YOU so much TMM for this wonderful most treasured memory.

This memory of the train is fantastic....It must have been quite an amazing thing to see such a sight as a hunk of train was approaching bellowing steam.
I can imagine such awe that would be for a a young child and perhaps this is why this particular event has set in your memory. The fact that you too were also inside a vehicle with big wheels also lends itself to the recollection.

Wonderful.

LOL...I do hope the hedgehog was OK.........I really hope after it had held it's breath that it carried on it's merry way......only cleaner !!

That too is an awesome memory and I really appreciate your sharing it. No doubt your hedgehog de-fleaing days were soon over after that.

THANK YOU TMM

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 22/04/2007 21:05:58 »
Paul ?..Seany ?..anybody new ?...care to share some early memories ?

paul.fr

« Reply #44 on: 22/04/2007 21:12:18 »
Lordy, i have trouble remembering yesterday! I can remember living in wilsden in london, the first time i watched Chelsea in '83 ish against luton town. I remember how much of a pain it is tapping replies on this mobile!

paul.fr

« Reply #45 on: 22/04/2007 21:17:20 »
Willsden, stupid keys!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22/04/2007 22:19:55 »
How old were ewe Paul ?

paul.fr

« Reply #47 on: 22/04/2007 22:23:40 »
We left willsden when i was about 6, and went to MK. I was about 13 when i first watched Chelsea

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22/04/2007 22:31:59 »
We left willsden when i was about 6, and went to MK. I was about 13 when i first watched Chelsea

I am sure you can remember back a little earlier than that....most people it's about 3 or 4..sometimes as early as two....very rarely less than  12 months.......

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 22/04/2007 22:34:32 »
.....having said all..if you care to read from the beginning you'll see that for me it's about 4 or 5

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 22/04/2007 22:34:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums