The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the earliest memory you can recall ?  (Read 37554 times)

another_someone

What's the earliest memory you can recall ?
« Reply #50 on: 23/04/2007 00:52:00 »
The problem is, how much do you actually remember, and how much is reconstructed memories from small fragments, maybe supported by photographs to help fill in some of the missing bits.

My earliest memory is about 5 or 6 (although, the older I get, the more early memories I lose - and I know that runs contrary to most people's experience, where they lose recent memories before they lose older memories).  My earliest memories, I do no remember images or sounds, I just remember the abstract facts as recollections of facts.  Even those memories are only of incidents where we have photographs, or have talked about subsequently, and so could easily be reconstructed memories.

When I posted the picture of me, at 11 years of age, I was looking through other contemporary photos, which included pictures of my mother and sister at the time, and I realise that I really do not remember what they looked like at the time (although ofcourse I recognised them from the photos), but the only image I have of them really is contemporary.  That having been said, i do remember lots of old photos, including photos of myself what I was a few months old, but clearly I can only remember seeing the photo, not recollect directly the incidents in the photos.

One incident I recollect was when I started going to secondary school, the school was near an area where I used to live when I was about 3 or 4 years old.  One lunchtime, a friend of mine and I were walking around the area where the school was, and we turned down a path where I had not been before, and immediately I said "I know where this path leads".  I could not visualise the path - I had no visual memory of the path, but I just knew where the path was, and knew I had walked down the path before.

paul.fr

« Reply #51 on: 23/04/2007 01:26:41 »
Excellent reply, george. I have a interesting reply but it will have to wait until i get home.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 23/04/2007 02:17:50 »
I'm not asking for fragmentation's or hints of recollections..(though I will gladly hear those too)...as ..yes...these could be reconstructed ...and it's worth bearing in mind that a reconstructed memory may be the truth also.

I have recollections as told to me by many many people. Most are clearly definable incidents that expand to become an event that may have lasted anything from a few minutes to a day. They are detailed and don't appear to be dressed up with dramatic license. They usually center around a parent directly or a parent is part of the memory....but not all the time...just most !...This is because of the age most earliest memories are recalled from of course.

They are usually memories that either have been ingrained because of their repetitive nature...eg : a parent singing a lullaby each night, the memory of laying in the cot and seeing a parents head and body come into view with a smile and a song...encompassing sight, smell , sound and touch !....or there are others which are drama induced !!....eg : sitting in a pram at a train and seeing a train come into  view for the first time and witnessing it and hearing it coming into the station on a hot day..where the sun is shining....

These are the memories I'm particularly interested in.

There is usually always one........and I will always be happy to hear about a reconstructed memory anyway...it's usually viable !

another_someone

« Reply #53 on: 23/04/2007 07:39:19 »
I'm not asking for fragmentation's or hints of recollections..(though I will gladly hear those too)...as ..yes...these could be reconstructed ...and it's worth bearing in mind that a reconstructed memory may be the truth also.

I would question whether or not all memory is essentially fragmentary in nature - the brain stores the minimum it considers necessary, and when it recalls those fragments, it they fills in the missing pieces.  This is why witness statements are inherently unreliable, because even the recollection of recent events is based only upon the recollection of fragments which are then filled out by what the brain considers to be a reasonable interpretation of those fragments.  It is also a problem when witnesses discuss the memories they have, in that they then develop a shared interpretation of their pooled fragmentary recollections, rather than remaining independent witnesses to the same event.

paul.fr

« Reply #54 on: 23/04/2007 13:59:02 »
I think those are my ealiest memories, Neil.

as you know my memory is pretty poor, i think i don't remember anything before the age of 5/6 because we moved around so much. different countries and regions. never long enough to put down roots.

although i have started to remember things from the age of 10 which i had forgotten all about, thanks to this topic. i will not hijack the topic with what i was going to reply to george with, i will start a new topic later.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 01/08/2007 13:48:46 »
BTT !!

Stuart...can you elaborate on your memory here......

...also...anybody else want to leave an 'earliest' memory.....

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 01/08/2007 14:11:19 »
BTT?

My earliest are from about the age of 3. I "remember" going to playschool, being at playschool and singing songs, I recall wearing a particular t-shirt for the school photo (a blue one with a rainbow on it), painting a picture. I remember going to the hospital with my Dad to go and see Mum when she was having my sister, and she is 3 1/2 years younger.......I can remember the woodland we went into to pick bluebells to give to Mum too. There are literally tens if not hundreds more of pre 5 memories - playing in the snow with a tonka truck, playing with my sticklebrick, my very first day at first school etc etc which I won't bore you all with here. I may be able to remember stuff from earlier, but without a point of reference to provide an age or date, it's difficult to verify.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 01/08/2007 14:21:20 »
Stuart what is a Sticklebrick?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 01/08/2007 14:24:07 »

It's a lego type spin-off, in that it is a series of differently shaped blocks that have little spines in them that enables the blocks to fit together:

http://www.constructionkits2enjoy.org.uk/acatalog/sticklebricks.html?gclid=CJTB_8ez1I0CFSAwXgodSjpnYw

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 01/08/2007 14:34:43 »
BTT?

My earliest are from about the age of 3. I "remember" going to playschool, being at playschool and singing songs, I recall wearing a particular t-shirt for the school photo (a blue one with a rainbow on it), painting a picture. I remember going to the hospital with my Dad to go and see Mum when she was having my sister, and she is 3 1/2 years younger.......I can remember the woodland we went into to pick bluebells to give to Mum too. There are literally tens if not hundreds more of pre 5 memories - playing in the snow with a tonka truck, playing with my sticklebrick, my very first day at first school etc etc which I won't bore you all with here. I may be able to remember stuff from earlier, but without a point of reference to provide an age or date, it's difficult to verify.

BTT- Bring To Top !

THANK YOU Stuart.....I am not surprised you particularly remember such a striking T shirt...colouful and bright...it would have certainly made an impact.....

...seeing mummy in hopsital too.....a big big place, strange odours and seeing mummy in an unusual setting...introducing you for the first time to your new sister !!

Sticklebrick....excellent !!..I remember that too....fascinating the way they stuck together...another reason why you should remember that so...

First day at school ?......yes indeed.....all finely tuned and indelible memories..

THANK YOU very much for these awesome recollections !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 01/08/2007 14:38:44 »

It's a lego type spin-off, in that it is a series of differently shaped blocks that have little spines in them that enables the blocks to fit together:

http://www.constructionkits2enjoy.org.uk/acatalog/sticklebricks.html?gclid=CJTB_8ez1I0CFSAwXgodSjpnYw

Oh we have those at the preschool but they call them something else I can't remember the name.. LOL

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 01/08/2007 14:40:15 »
I also remember my first situational "joke". I was 4 I think, and my Mum had a friend who had a beaten up old beetle (VW) which she'd parked outside the front of the house. I recall looking out of the window and saying that there were some people outside who were going to take her car away. She dashed to the window and saw some dustmen......Not exactly Oscar Wilde, but hey, I was 4!

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 01/08/2007 14:41:50 »

Oh we have those at the preschool but they call them something else I can't remember the name.. LOL

If it was California, then they were probably called "Mega Dyno Building Buster Death Blocks - new, from KTel" or something. ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 01/08/2007 14:45:22 »
I also remember my first situational "joke". I was 4 I think, and my Mum had a friend who had a beaten up old beetle (VW) which she'd parked outside the front of the house. I recall looking out of the window and saying that there were some people outside who were going to take her car away. She dashed to the window and saw some dustmen......Not exactly Oscar Wilde, but hey, I was 4!

LOL !..This is EXCELLENT Stuart !!...your first moment of comedic pride and talent...(cheeky observational thinking )..a talent that most definitely you have carried along with you as demonstrated here on this site.....

Does it make you feel good when you recall that ?....

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 01/08/2007 14:56:11 »

LOL !..This is EXCELLENT Stuart !!...your first moment of comedic pride and talent...(cheeky observational thinking )..a talent that most definitely you have carried along with you as demonstrated here on this site.....

Thankyou, kind sir! As I always say, if you can't laugh, then someones sown your lips together....

Does it make you feel good when you recall that ?....

Well, I can see it in my children, so it's nice to see a sense of humour (if you'd call it that) developing, and it's great to think that in the future, we're going to have a right old laugh.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 01/08/2007 16:17:59 »
Stuart....Thank you Mr Dendro sir......

I am just fascinated with the nature of memory (and mammaries)...always have been..as far back as I can remember !.. :)

Didn't realise you had kids...ages ? genders ?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 01/08/2007 16:20:11 »
2&4&boy&boy

*Sings "Thanks for the mammory"*

another_someone

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 21/02/2009 02:34:57 »
Any new memory recollections from new members ?

Glad I remembered this thread !

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 21/02/2009 02:40:29 »
Being smaked by my mommy :(
I think that's the earliest anyway...

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 21/02/2009 02:42:36 »
They tell me that I nearly drowned when I was three but I can't remember :)???

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 22/02/2009 00:36:43 »
In one of my earliest memories, I was at a neighbours home, just outside the back door, and had been playing with some eels that the man I called 'Uncle Ben' had caught when fishing. They were in a bucket of water until Auntie Jane came alone, got them out of the bucket, wrapped them in newspaers and chopped their heads off so that she could cook them for Uncle Ben's tea. I recall being rather upset over that.

We moved from that house when I was two years old.

While still there, I can recall a large grey horse that pulled a coal delivery cart. His name was Jimmy, and he used to poke his head in through the front door. I seem to recall he could almost reach the sofa, and once tried to take a biscuit off me. The house was very small - a terraces cottage really and with a door right on the street.

I can also recall travelling on a bus and stroking a lady's fur coat. It was the same colour as our giner cat, Ginger! Still at that house, I recall making mud pies and being told off for getting dirty. There was a sand pit, but I always preferred playing in the 'black dirt'.  :D

When we moved to the new house, there was an old man called Bill Cotton living next door and he used to call me over to the fence and lean over to give me fruit or sweets. One morning he called me and had a banana, and I can remember going towards him holding the skirt of my dress down, not because it was windy, but because I was being dressed when he called and my mother hadn't yet put my knickers on me! ;D

« Last Edit: 22/02/2009 00:45:57 by OldDragon »

Offline cheggers

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 07/03/2011 22:53:23 »
12 months. Yep - that early. I am sitting on the floor, looking up towards my mother who is rocking back and forth and smiling at me. There is no sound though, Just a visual. She is sitting and - as I now understand - knitting something yellow. The colour stands out., as does the sunshine behind my mother through the window. My mother only knitted me one thing - a yellow jersey that I had outgrown by the time I was 18 months old !!!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #72 on: 07/03/2011 22:53:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length