The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do dark-skinned individuals tend to scar more?  (Read 3818 times)

Christine Carey

Christine Carey  asked the Naked Scientists:

I really enjoyed the recent show on skin but had a further question, which may be a little complicated.  I understand that UV radiation has an immunosuppressive effect on us, as seen in patients with psoriasis whose skin improves with UV exposure. 

If melanin protects us from UV radiation, and if scar tissue is in part and excessive inflammatory response, is that why people with darker skin (more melanin) tend to form bigger/keloid-like scars, and would scar formation be reduced by direct application of UV light to a wound?

Thanks for the programme!  It would be interesting if you talked about skin and immunosuppression on your show.

- Chris

What do you think?

Offline TonyCap

• Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying
    • View Profile
    • Health Ninjas
Why do dark-skinned individuals tend to scar more?
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/2009 02:35:50 »
That's a really good question...  I would like to know as well.  :)

Offline carreerslut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/06/2009 08:38:20 »
Here is a useless answer!  I did know but have forgotten.  What I do remember is that black skin differs from white in more ways than just pigment, the texture is different too.  Best to consult dermatology sites and even maybe beauty care chat forums.  I know what you are saying is true, just maddeningly can't remember why..

As a white person I have numerous scars, many of which have resulted in loss of pigment to the area.  Here there is an obvious difference to a black skin.  The extra white areas  on me are only clear on close inspection, whereas on a dark skin they would be immediately obvious.  Also the reddened patches where skin is healing again does not contrast so strongly with my skin tone.  Keloid scars just don't happen.  But the whole question of keloid scars and the like is the annoying one.  Just be assured the answers are out there, and possibly, don't quote me on it but wouldn't it be great, treatments.  Get back to us if you get good research done, please.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 29/06/2009 08:38:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums