The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Games/graphics card problems - please help  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Daerana

• View Profile
Games/graphics card problems - please help
« on: 09/06/2009 13:34:17 »
Hello all,
A while ago I was forced to rebuild/reformat my computer because it pretty much just completely died and since then I've been unable to play any of my games that I previously could.  I have a Nvidia GeForce 9300M G.

The other day too, I noticed that it wont even let me have a screensaver.  In the preview box a message is there instead saying "The screensaver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that's compatible with Direct 3D."  What is it talking about?

With games, I can install them with no problems at all. The problem arises when I try to play it.  I'll use TES IV; Oblivion, as an example.  I click on the icon and the menu pops up.  I click on play and then an error box appears saying "Failed to initialize renderer.  NiXAdapterDesc::GetDeviceCaps() failed."
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this problem?

I have already gone to control panel and through that searched for updates.  But it said that there was none.  Yet, whilst trying to download a driver from the Nvidia site, I first had to download a program that scanned my computer for out of date drivers.  It said that it was out of date.  But, I wasn't able to download because the program first wanted me to buy it, and I couldn't find the registration key on the net (no way am I going to buy it).

???

Please help me,
thanks

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/2009 20:10:00 »
What? You don't have to pay for drivers, they're free.

If you're running Windows XP try the drivers from this link http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_185.85_whql.html

If you have Windows Vista 32 bit get this one:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_185.85_whql.html

Or for 64 bit Vista:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_x64_185.85_whql.html

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 09/06/2009 20:30:32 »
Why did you have to re-install Windows XP in the first place?  Was it due to a video problem?  If so, it may be because the video card has developed a h/w fault (some recent longevity issues seem to have occurred on nVidia videa adapters - see: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1004378/why-nvidia-chips-defective).

It sounds like the system thinks it only has a basic VGA video adapter, lacking any h/w acceleration.  I'm a bit rusty on Windows, but check in the device manager to see what video adapter the system thinks it has.  You can then either download the specific driver for your card, and try installing that, or try removing the video adapter and re-booting to see what the system detects on restart.

Offline Daerana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/06/2009 23:24:55 »
The program that Nvidia wanted me to use was the one that I had to purchase to enable it to download the driver I needed, not Nvidia itself.

I am running on 32 bit Vista.

I will try your ideas tonight when I get home.  I am currently not at home and on a different computer.

thanks

Offline Daerana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/06/2009 23:34:12 »
I think it was a virus that was on my computer before.  One that was undetectable.  Everything was so very slow and programs constantly crashed.  After rebuilding/reformatting it this problem was gone.  But I then could no longer play any games and the touch buttons broke (is a laptop).

Offline Daerana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/06/2009 10:37:20 »
I downloaded the windows 32 bit (followed link) but when I tried to install it an error message appeared saying that it couldn't find any drivers that were compatable with that software.

??? ??? ???

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/06/2009 17:49:56 »
So you have windows vista 32 bit?

Sorry, I didn't realise you were talking about a laptop.

I believe this is the correct driver for you if you are running Windows Vista 32 bit.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_186.03_whql.html

Offline Daerana

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/06/2009 07:42:05 »
I didn't even notice on the nvidia site it said for desktop.  I just saw that then!  Oops...  [:I]

Thankyou, I am downloading it now.  I'll let you know how it goes soon.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 12/06/2009 07:42:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums