The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does A Horse with Blinkers See Proper ?  (Read 9471 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Does A Horse with Blinkers See Proper ?
« on: 09/06/2009 21:04:55 »
Dearest Peeps Of Academic Wonder & Exam Passing Success...gawwwd !..(ewe lot are like....well klevur !!)

See Poppycock Pippin Extraordinaire The IIIrd ?

She's a fine filly eh  ?..oh yes !!

if I wasn't a sheep I'd be well in there !!..In fact...someone get me a table and steps !

..Look though !...how on earth does Poppy actually get about without walking into trees and stepping on dropped ice cream, whilst wearing those blinkers ?

As a firm believer in empirical study I snuck into my neighbours house at 3am this morning and ala the SAW films..I stitched some blinkers onto the side of his face !.........well........when he came around I said ' hello neighbour..i want to play a game'.............I can't see why he just can't see the funny side of things like I do......In any case..he's been walking into walls and he has fallen down the stairs at least 14 out of the 15 time I have set him up there........It's the balcony next..I'll let ewe know how I get on...

so..no luck there...if my neighbour can not walk about with blinkers on..how does Poppy do it ?

Your equine related answers will be most welcome.

hugs & shmishes

neil
I'm Nor Horsing About Ewe know !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/2009 21:38:31 »
I'm pretty sure a proper horsey person will be able to give you the full answer, but I believe that blinkers are only used while the horse is being controlled and it won't wear them while it's out in its field.  Horses don't tend to walk sideways either, and aren't at all keen on going backwards, so they can nearly always see where they're going; in fact, you'd have a hard job getting one to go somewhere where it can't see.

I think they're mainly used to stop nervous horses from being spooked by things in their peripheral vision.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 10/06/2009 08:11:09 »
The horse has the largest eye of all land mammals. Each eye has around a 180o field of vision. The two fields cross roughly midway between the eye and the end of the muzzle. This means the horse has monocular vision virtually all round, but rather narrow binocular vision only in the front.

The blinkers should only shield the eye from the monocular vision field.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 10/06/2009 08:33:41 »
And this is presumably to stop the animal becoming alarmed or distracted by things occurring in the periphery?

Chris

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/06/2009 08:47:22 »
I'm pretty sure a proper horsey person will be able to give you the full answer, but I believe that blinkers are only used while the horse is being controlled and it won't wear them while it's out in its field.  Horses don't tend to walk sideways either, and aren't at all keen on going backwards, so they can nearly always see where they're going; in fact, you'd have a hard job getting one to go somewhere where it can't see.

I think they're mainly used to stop nervous horses from being spooked by things in their peripheral vision.

Thanks LeeE.

This is excellent. You're great answer makes me think of the scene when Captain Picard and Captain Kirk go horese riding and Kirk does in fact make his horsey walk sideways...albeit with no blinkers...most impressive.

Perhaps I will wear blinkers at my next job interview..it'll help calm my nerves !!  ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/06/2009 08:49:36 »
The horse has the largest eye of all land mammals. Each eye has around a 180o field of vision. The two fields cross roughly midway between the eye and the end of the muzzle. This means the horse has monocular vision virtually all round, but rather narrow binocular vision only in the front.

The blinkers should only shield the eye from the monocular vision field.

Thank You Don.

Gosh !...lucky horesys having big eyes !..I wonder why !

great answer...I am considering my knowledge-base regarding horesys and blinkers satiated !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/06/2009 08:52:36 »
And this is presumably to stop the animal becoming alarmed or distracted by things occurring in the periphery?

Chris

Another great point....Thanks Dr Chris (you've been great on Radio 5 Live)

..so..blinkers serve two roles...as a calming measure  and to prevent distraction.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #7 on: 11/06/2009 13:46:41 »
Although distraction may be an issue with race horses, as it's likely to make them slow down, with most other horses blinkers are just used as a calming measure.  Off the racecourse, horses might notice things that they might be curious about, or which they think might represent food, but being in control of a horse means that it'll do what you tell it to do, rather than just stopping when it feels like it to eat or check out something that it's curious about.

When a horse is spooked though, you're not in control and it is likely to bolt or possibly even throw you.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/06/2009 22:59:26 »
Horses are able to see hings approaching from behind because they would have been hunted by nasty carnivores that would jump them from behind, weighing down their hind legs and pulling them over. When I had a horse it would go mad if a bicycle approached it from behind and would kick out thinking it was a carnivore bike. Blinkers on cart horses will often stop them from worrying about the thing they are dragging and the things that are overtaking them. Horses also struggle to see things at their feet. This is why show jumps are painted bright colours and are made of thick wood. They wouldn't see a thin garden cane.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #9 on: 12/06/2009 09:18:48 »
These illustrations show the field of vision of each eye. There is a blind spot directly behind the horse, mono vision at around 180o at a slight angle to the flank and bi vision in a narrow field at the front.

The binocular field is both narrow and shallow. The horse must look almost along it's muzzle to get forward binocular vision

Wow!!! What superb illustrations......... I know, don't give up the day job!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12/06/2009 09:42:19 »
Although distraction may be an issue with race horses, as it's likely to make them slow down, with most other horses blinkers are just used as a calming measure.  Off the racecourse, horses might notice things that they might be curious about, or which they think might represent food, but being in control of a horse means that it'll do what you tell it to do, rather than just stopping when it feels like it to eat or check out something that it's curious about.

When a horse is spooked though, you're not in control and it is likely to bolt or possibly even throw you.

Thank Ewe LeeE

So we calm the horse, manipulate the horse...nice horsey !...It's a way to aid the horse to focus ahead !..I see !

i would not want to be thrown by a horse, it is well know that they are excellent shotputters !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/06/2009 09:47:12 »
Horses are able to see hings approaching from behind because they would have been hunted by nasty carnivores that would jump them from behind, weighing down their hind legs and pulling them over. When I had a horse it would go mad if a bicycle approached it from behind and would kick out thinking it was a carnivore bike. Blinkers on cart horses will often stop them from worrying about the thing they are dragging and the things that are overtaking them. Horses also struggle to see things at their feet. This is why show jumps are painted bright colours and are made of thick wood. They wouldn't see a thin garden cane.

Thank ewe Make It Lady

Wow..horsies have a wide field of vision then...or do they have eyes on the end of their tails ?

I see, so horsies are prey (with a nasty kick). I think I would also kick out if a bicycle tried to mount me !..it would have to be one hellova sexy bike to get that close !!

That's very intersting about the brightly coloured show jumps !....woo..my horsey knowledge is progressing well.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12/06/2009 09:50:11 »
These illustrations show the field of vision of each eye. There is a blind spot directly behind the horse, mono vision at around 180o at a slight angle to the flank and bi vision in a narrow field at the front.

The binocular field is both narrow and shallow. The horse must look almost along it's muzzle to get forward binocular vision

Wow!!! What superb illustrations......... I know, don't give up the day job!

Your second horsie has laser powered eyes !!

Thank ewe for the diagrams Testudinata Lord.

I appreciate the visual explanation.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 12/06/2009 09:50:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums